iPhone XS Thread

MacinJosh

Well good luck guys...  I picked up a Max on Verizon and I am seeing definitely worse cell reception.  Tried posting photos on Macrumors and I either get ignored or told it is "fake news".  What a lovely society we live in now... Ha

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-and-xs-max-owners-complain-of-wi-fi-and-lte-connectivity-issues.2142500/page-4#post-26562175

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, uecker87 said:

Well good luck guys...  I picked up a Max on Verizon and I am seeing definitely worse cell reception.  Tried posting photos on Macrumors and I either get ignored or told it is "fake news".  What a lovely society we live in now... Ha

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-and-xs-max-owners-complain-of-wi-fi-and-lte-connectivity-issues.2142500/page-4#post-26562175

In keeping with past practice, Apple is being completely silent on this... until they finally release a statement that they’re aware of these reported issues and they’ll be addressed in a future software or carrier update.

It’s hard for me to understand how Apple devices can have so many “out the door” issues for “basic stuff” like LTE and Wi-Fi Performance. This isn’t a special character combo which bricks the phone. This isn’t a bug in the “Find my Friends” App. This is something which goes to the essential function of the device.

Doesn’t Apple “dog food” and actually use its own products?... or did they say “We know there’s an issue. Screw it, ship it. We’ll fix it on the backend.”

My XS Max has shipped from Phoenix. Best Buy usually sends it by UPS, but today they did through FedEx. I guess we will see how things work when I get it and try using it for phone calls in the weakest Sprint area in Pahrump.

• Like 1

I just picked up my replacement Max and now I'm waiting for my watch to stabilize (first gen real slow) so I can unpair it (you have to back up/unpair any watches first) then iTunes backup the old X then new iPhone recovery....

Edited by ZebraDude
  • Like 1

I have had my XS Max since yesterday around noon and can say that so far I haven't experienced any issues with WiFi or LTE connectivity. I have what appears to be the same or better LTE performance as compared to my X. Also, I bought mine from Apple and put my Sprint info in when I ordered it. All I did when I opened the box yesterday was remove the SIM from my X, turn it off, and then power on the XS Max. Activated during setup without any issues. Been loving it so far!

My Series 4 also just got here today. I had a Series 3 that I got back in June of this year on IB, and upgraded to the Series 4. Not sure how I was eligible, but when I was ordering the device I didn't see anything about getting a return kit with my new device to send the old one back. And when I go to Sprint's website I don't see anything about my Series 3 on it anymore now that I've activated my Series 4. I'm unsure when/if I can return the old device. 

-Anthony

2 hours ago, anthony.spina97 said:

I have had my XS Max since yesterday around noon and can say that so far I haven't experienced any issues with WiFi or LTE connectivity. I have what appears to be the same or better LTE performance as compared to my X. Also, I bought mine from Apple and put my Sprint info in when I ordered it. All I did when I opened the box yesterday was remove the SIM from my X, turn it off, and then power on the XS Max. Activated during setup without any issues. Been loving it so far!

My Series 4 also just got here today. I had a Series 3 that I got back in June of this year on IB, and upgraded to the Series 4. Not sure how I was eligible, but when I was ordering the device I didn't see anything about getting a return kit with my new device to send the old one back. And when I go to Sprint's website I don't see anything about my Series 3 on it anymore now that I've activated my Series 4. I'm unsure when/if I can return the old device. 

-Anthony

I don't think there is a trade in on Series 3. They may continue to keep billing you for the Series 3 watch since you have it on IB, or they may accelerate it on the next bill for you to pay off.

1 hour ago, MacinJosh said:

I don't think there is a trade in on Series 3. They may continue to keep billing you for the Series 3 watch since you have it on IB, or they may accelerate it on the next bill for you to pay off.

Hmm interesting. I guess we’ll see what happens next bill!

-Anthony

Im thinking about up grading my X to the XS via the sprint promotion. With all the news of the Rf issues with the Max and XS is it really worth it? I would hate to get the XS and my reception is not as good as what I have the X.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derrph said:

Im thinking about up grading my X to the XS via the sprint promotion. With all the news of the Rf issues with the Max and XS is it really worth it? I would hate to get the XS and my reception is not as good as what I have the X.

From what I’m hearing, it seems the XS has pretty solid RF performance on GSM/WCDMA/LTE but very poor CDMA RF performance. I’m hearing from a lot of people that they drop from L800 to either LTE roaming or No Service, and that they struggle to maintain a CDMA connection in many areas where they used to be able to. 

1 hour ago, derrph said:

4 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

From what I’m hearing, it seems the XS has pretty solid RF performance on GSM/WCDMA/LTE but very poor CDMA RF performance. I’m hearing from a lot of people that they drop from L800 to either LTE roaming or No Service, and that they struggle to maintain a CDMA connection in many areas where they used to be able to. 

Well, so far for me, I've seen increased reception in my home on LTE, call quality still seems to be top notch, and I'm even seeing an increase of usable WiFi in my backyard out past the fruit trees (my X shows connected, but can't do anything back there). I will say it appears that in my house, I am connected to B25 instead of B26. I am over 5 miles from the nearest tower.

13 minutes ago, MacinJosh said:

Well, so far for me, I've seen increased reception in my home on LTE, call quality still seems to be top notch, and I'm even seeing an increase of usable WiFi in my backyard out past the fruit trees (my X shows connected, but can't do anything back there). I will say it appears that in my house, I am connected to B25 instead of B26. I am over 5 miles from the nearest tower.

Have you tested CDMA performance much? I have family members who are very disappointed with it...

30 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Have you tested CDMA performance much? I have family members who are very disappointed with it...

So far so good. I'll be able to test more sometime today. I have an area I spend plenty of time that is on the fringe of Sprint CDMA.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:01 AM, MacinJosh said:

So far so good. I'll be able to test more sometime today. I have an area I spend plenty of time that is on the fringe of Sprint CDMA.

Please do report back.
Ordered the Max model too. I have found the 1x voice performance on the previous iPhone 8 to be very good.

3 minutes ago, Bob Newhart said:

Please do report back.
Ordered the Max model too. I have found the 1x voice performance on the previous iPhone 8 to be very good.

Well, I didn't get to test voice calls while I was out there tonight, but I was able to for the first time in a long time use 3G data while I was out there. I realize I have much better service on my XS Max than I did on my X. My X was almost always on 1x while I was out there. I was stunned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tybo31316 said:

Anyone here with the Xs and Xs Max has reception issues?

Overall I have better service, but on fringe areas data will drop cold. I have a random dropped calls that I used to never have before, but I probably can blame Sprint more than Apple because Sprint only has 2 sites in Pahrump. But so far I'm more satisfied with my XS Max than I was with my X.

• Like 3

With the XsM, I'm not seeing anything different than with the 8+. I believe the XsM is 'sticking' to 3G a little less than the 8+, but can't be sure. Voice is fine.

Speed tests seem the same too, 85u/6d Mbps. I know of a few Gigabit sites that I will test with.