Jump to content
Cardsfan96

Data issues with Us Cellular roaming

Recommended Posts

So I’ve always somewhat relied on U.S. Cellular roaming with sprint ever since I became a sprint customer because U.S. Cellular sold their St. Louis market to sprint. So I went years meeting my allotted roaming data because we have a weekend place in a rural area only covered completely by U.S. Cellular. Then recently with the new LTE roaming agreement sprint and U.S. Cellular made I was so excited because it would be considered native roaming and I would have access to LTE data and no data caps. Once the roaming was implemented it worked the best (for a few months) I had ever experienced speeds were usable and my phone was on 3g 50% of the time and lte 50%. Now (within the last month or two)data seems to be useless. I can’t do anything but call and text and my phone hardly ever has usable data. My phone seems to never be on LTE anymore and on 3g and even 1x most the time. I thought maybe it could be the tower being overloaded but driving home from our place the experience doesnt change at allgoing from tower to tower. I thought maybe it was something to do with my device or account but we had relatives up recently using sprint and they have the same problem. Then I asked another family member who is a U.S. Cellular customer and lives in that general area if he has experienced slow data recently and he said no it has been working like it always has. So I have no idea why it’s happening. Anyone here have any idea why this is happening? Sorry for the long post I know it’s probably too much but I didn’t want to leave out any details.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cardsfan96 said:

So I’ve always somewhat relied on U.S. Cellular roaming with sprint ever since I became a sprint customer because U.S. Cellular sold their St. Louis market to sprint. So I went years meeting my allotted roaming data because we have a weekend place in a rural area only covered completely by U.S. Cellular. Then recently with the new LTE roaming agreement sprint and U.S. Cellular made I was so excited because it would be considered native roaming and I would have access to LTE data and no data caps. Once the roaming was implemented it worked the best (for a few months) I had ever experienced speeds were usable and my phone was on 3g 50% of the time and lte 50%. Now (within the last month or two)data seems to be useless. I can’t do anything but call and text and my phone hardly ever has usable data. My phone seems to never be on LTE anymore and on 3g and even 1x most the time. I thought maybe it could be the tower being overloaded but driving home from our place the experience doesnt change at allgoing from tower to tower. I thought maybe it was something to do with my device or account but we had relatives up recently using sprint and they have the same problem. Then I asked another family member who is a U.S. Cellular customer and lives in that general area if he has experienced slow data recently and he said no it has been working like it always has. So I have no idea why it’s happening. Anyone here have any idea why this is happening? Sorry for the long post I know it’s probably too much but I didn’t want to leave out any details.

Which device are you using? Other users have reported issued with non-Sprint branded devices not connecting to LTE roaming. In the last couple weeks I was able to connect to USCC LTE roaming with my LG G7 and data was just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Which device are you using? Other users have reported issued with non-Sprint branded devices not connecting to LTE roaming. In the last couple weeks I was able to connect to USCC LTE roaming with my LG G7 and data was just fine.

I’m using an iPhone 6s. It isn’t really an issue connecting to LTE, it’s more that the data is unusable no matter what your on. Although I don’t connect to LTE as often as I previously would which could just be because of tree leaves. That’s why I thought it was a capacity issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

I’m using an iPhone 6s. It isn’t really an issue connecting to LTE, it’s more that the data is unusable no matter what your on. Although I don’t connect to LTE as often as I previously would which could just be because of tree leaves. That’s why I thought it was a capacity issue. 

Hmm, not sure what to tell you. People have reported in a few areas having more difficulty connecting to LTE Roaming. But if data is super slow, that might be a USCC network issue. I haven't used it in a couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Hmm, not sure what to tell you. People have reported in a few areas having more difficulty connecting to LTE Roaming. But if data is super slow, that might be a USCC network issue. I haven't used it in a couple of weeks.

I contacted sprint and U.S. Cellulars costumer service and both told me there were no issues showing for my area which is what I was expecting they’d say but im hoping there is some kind of solution soon. So far it seems like this is an isolated issue since I haven’t heard of any similar issues on this forum. Thanks for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

I’m using an iPhone 6s. It isn’t really an issue connecting to LTE, it’s more that the data is unusable no matter what your on. Although I don’t connect to LTE as often as I previously would which could just be because of tree leaves. That’s why I thought it was a capacity issue. 

It's possible that it's an APN or routing issue, but those aren't really easy to fix on the user end. Sprint has been making a lot of configuration changes related to T-Mobile roaming integration, so it's possible that's the cause. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Pixel 2 and could not connect to US Cellular LTE in Nebraska this past weekend. My wife's iPhone X worked fine.

I'm going to try to get a hold of customer care and see if they have anything to say. I'll report back here when I get a resolution.


Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke with customer care via chat. They asked me to toggle the data roaming switch in settings. I seem to remember this fixing a Sprint roaming issue I had with a different Android device I owned many moons ago. I bet this fixes the problem. I'll be in Hermann Missouri this weekend to test. I'll report when I get back.

They also had me update profile / prl / reboot ... but I'd already done that. I'm gonna bet this roaming turn-it-off-and-back-on-again thing actually works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I spoke with customer care via chat. They asked me to toggle the data roaming switch in settings. I seem to remember this fixing a Sprint roaming issue I had with a different Android device I owned many moons ago. I bet this fixes the problem. I'll be in Hermann Missouri this weekend to test. I'll report when I get back.
They also had me update profile / prl / reboot ... but I'd already done that. I'm gonna bet this roaming turn-it-off-and-back-on-again thing actually works.
I suspect it won't fix it. The Pie update has lots of issues with Sprint. See my post here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-Nebraska/Iowa-Premier-Thread#entry533932

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I suspect it won't fix it. The Pie update has lots of issues with Sprint. See my post here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-Nebraska/Iowa-Premier-Thread&do=findComment&comment=533932

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well, I hope you're wrong. There's not much I can do about it otherwise it would seem. I tried Google support today as well and they told me to talk to my carrier. (sigh)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this exact issue with a XsMax, in WV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used Extended LTE and 3G on US Cellular, it isn't the fastest, but it works ok.

Usually speedtest on LTE is 3 up and down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/25/2018 at 1:54 PM, DurhamHusker said:

I spoke with customer care via chat. They asked me to toggle the data roaming switch in settings. I seem to remember this fixing a Sprint roaming issue I had with a different Android device I owned many moons ago. I bet this fixes the problem. I'll be in Hermann Missouri this weekend to test. I'll report when I get back.

They also had me update profile / prl / reboot ... but I'd already done that. I'm gonna bet this roaming turn-it-off-and-back-on-again thing actually works.

 

On 9/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, ingenium said:

I suspect it won't fix it. The Pie update has lots of issues with Sprint. See my post here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-Nebraska/Iowa-Premier-Thread#entry533932

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

 

On 9/25/2018 at 9:04 PM, DurhamHusker said:

Well, I hope you're wrong. There's not much I can do about it otherwise it would seem. I tried Google support today as well and they told me to talk to my carrier. (sigh)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

 

I went to Hermann, MO, this weekend and still had problems. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in US Cellular territory again today. Same problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, DurhamHusker said:

I'm in US Cellular territory again today. Same problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

US Cellular is having a network wide data outage.  They have acknowledged on their twitter feed.  No ETA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on a really rural project right now and US Cellular roaming has been fantastic on my unlocked Note 9. I save my heavier data usage for when I'm back at the hotel, which is in Sprint territory.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm on a really rural project right now and US Cellular roaming has been fantastic on my unlocked Note 9. I save my heavier data usage for when I'm back at the hotel, which is in Sprint territory.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk


Well ... I'm on an unlocked Pixel 2. Have had problems since the Android 9 update. My wife on an iPhone X has no trouble.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this link.

See my post from 2 months ago not being able to roam in US Cellular territory with either of my Pixel 2 XL's. This area has been rock solid previously.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, though said:

Just found this link.

See my post from 2 months ago not being able to roam in US Cellular territory with either of my Pixel 2 XL's. This area has been rock solid previously.

Since I'm still on Oreo with my unlocked Note 9, I can't really say if it's a Pixel 2 issue or a Pie issue unfortunately.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to be an "Oreo" issue or "non-Sprint branded phone" issue (Nexus 5, 5x, 6, 6P, Pixel 1, 2, 3).

Be interesting if anyone with any of these phones can successfully 'LTE Data Roam' on USCC now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of you having these problems tried a "Hands Free Activation"?

 

*#*#72786#*#*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DurhamHusker said:

Have any of you having these problems tried a "Hands Free Activation"?

 

*#*#72786#*#*

I don't think I did but tried everything else 1,000 times (on 2 diff Pixel 2 XL's)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried a lot of things, myself. But this one hadn't occurred to me. I performed the activation and prl update that the cs rep asked me to do last night. However, I won't have a chance to roam again for a while.

Let me know if one of you guys gets a chance to try this out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll definitely report back as soon as I get to a roaming area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seems to be an "Oreo" issue or "non-Sprint branded phone" issue (Nexus 5, 5x, 6, 6P, Pixel 1, 2, 3).
Be interesting if anyone with any of these phones can successfully 'LTE Data Roam' on USCC now...
I have an unlocked Note 9 on Oreo and it LTE roams fine. So it might just be a Pixel issue. Or Pie.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Just caught another instance of 3rd 2500 carrier in Shentel territory.  Note the standard 310120. I also note the 414 PCI that is one of the 3 PCI's for the local site used for carrier one and two. Saw this at a stop light and got the screen shot but had to start moving while going for the "service screen". I think I saw 10 mhz, not 20.  I did not see any aggregation but I only got a quick glimpse of the screen before it rolled to carrier one and two being aggregated as usual.  The 3rd carrier was gone. I do still have a galaxy S-7.  I am not positive that it is capable of using 3Xca, but the service screen looks like it could show it. I did not get  a speed test on carrier 3 either.  I went back through the area again, and even hung around on a side street, but could not acquire carrier 3 at any time.  I was surprised to see this as this local site is not congested. Anytime I check the speed it runs over 30 down and sometimes 60 down.  I am not sure if it might be a magic box or not. I was told that Shentel is not supporting Magic boxes. The area has very good service even inside the big box Wal-mart and Lowes.   I would really be surprised to find a magic box or anything else like that in this neighborhood.   Location: Rouzerville, Pa.
    • It is essentially more time parked on 2.5 as a Sprint user then 2.3 as an ATT user, or 2.2 as a Verizon or T-mo user. I see bands 30, 66 just about everywhere these days. Those seem to be pretty primary as far as bandwidth goes, minimum 10 on band 30 up to 20 or 30 in band 66. This would indicate that somehow Sprint is not allowing service levels on band 41 to fail to band 41>25 nearly as often as other carriers are with similar frequencies i.e 30>2 or 66>2. That seems strange to me.
    • Because the other carriers don't use those as their primary bands nor have them deployed on every single site in the same way Sprint does for Band 41. Not to mention Band 30 and Band 66 still have farther reach than Band 41. Also Band 46 is deployed in very few places as a hotspot type of solution. When you're on Band 41, you're on Band 41 alone. When you are on Band 30 or Band 66, you tend to be carrier aggregated with another band that has better propagation characteristics.
    • Using this math, wouldn't bands 46, 30 and 66 also show a weak signal on other carriers? Since all carriers posses band 2 and below how does sensorly ignore this specifically with Sprint?
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×