Data issues with Us Cellular roaming

Cardsfan96

So I’ve always somewhat relied on U.S. Cellular roaming with sprint ever since I became a sprint customer because U.S. Cellular sold their St. Louis market to sprint. So I went years meeting my allotted roaming data because we have a weekend place in a rural area only covered completely by U.S. Cellular. Then recently with the new LTE roaming agreement sprint and U.S. Cellular made I was so excited because it would be considered native roaming and I would have access to LTE data and no data caps. Once the roaming was implemented it worked the best (for a few months) I had ever experienced speeds were usable and my phone was on 3g 50% of the time and lte 50%. Now (within the last month or two)data seems to be useless. I can’t do anything but call and text and my phone hardly ever has usable data. My phone seems to never be on LTE anymore and on 3g and even 1x most the time. I thought maybe it could be the tower being overloaded but driving home from our place the experience doesnt change at allgoing from tower to tower. I thought maybe it was something to do with my device or account but we had relatives up recently using sprint and they have the same problem. Then I asked another family member who is a U.S. Cellular customer and lives in that general area if he has experienced slow data recently and he said no it has been working like it always has. So I have no idea why it’s happening. Anyone here have any idea why this is happening? Sorry for the long post I know it’s probably too much but I didn’t want to leave out any details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardsfan96 said:

So I’ve always somewhat relied on U.S. Cellular roaming with sprint ever since I became a sprint customer because U.S. Cellular sold their St. Louis market to sprint. So I went years meeting my allotted roaming data because we have a weekend place in a rural area only covered completely by U.S. Cellular. Then recently with the new LTE roaming agreement sprint and U.S. Cellular made I was so excited because it would be considered native roaming and I would have access to LTE data and no data caps. Once the roaming was implemented it worked the best (for a few months) I had ever experienced speeds were usable and my phone was on 3g 50% of the time and lte 50%. Now (within the last month or two)data seems to be useless. I can’t do anything but call and text and my phone hardly ever has usable data. My phone seems to never be on LTE anymore and on 3g and even 1x most the time. I thought maybe it could be the tower being overloaded but driving home from our place the experience doesnt change at allgoing from tower to tower. I thought maybe it was something to do with my device or account but we had relatives up recently using sprint and they have the same problem. Then I asked another family member who is a U.S. Cellular customer and lives in that general area if he has experienced slow data recently and he said no it has been working like it always has. So I have no idea why it’s happening. Anyone here have any idea why this is happening? Sorry for the long post I know it’s probably too much but I didn’t want to leave out any details.

Which device are you using? Other users have reported issued with non-Sprint branded devices not connecting to LTE roaming. In the last couple weeks I was able to connect to USCC LTE roaming with my LG G7 and data was just fine.

23 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Which device are you using? Other users have reported issued with non-Sprint branded devices not connecting to LTE roaming. In the last couple weeks I was able to connect to USCC LTE roaming with my LG G7 and data was just fine.

I’m using an iPhone 6s. It isn’t really an issue connecting to LTE, it’s more that the data is unusable no matter what your on. Although I don’t connect to LTE as often as I previously would which could just be because of tree leaves. That’s why I thought it was a capacity issue. 

4 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

I’m using an iPhone 6s. It isn’t really an issue connecting to LTE, it’s more that the data is unusable no matter what your on. Although I don’t connect to LTE as often as I previously would which could just be because of tree leaves. That’s why I thought it was a capacity issue. 

Hmm, not sure what to tell you. People have reported in a few areas having more difficulty connecting to LTE Roaming. But if data is super slow, that might be a USCC network issue. I haven't used it in a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Hmm, not sure what to tell you. People have reported in a few areas having more difficulty connecting to LTE Roaming. But if data is super slow, that might be a USCC network issue. I haven't used it in a couple of weeks.

I contacted sprint and U.S. Cellulars costumer service and both told me there were no issues showing for my area which is what I was expecting they’d say but im hoping there is some kind of solution soon. So far it seems like this is an isolated issue since I haven’t heard of any similar issues on this forum. Thanks for your input.

19 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

It's possible that it's an APN or routing issue, but those aren't really easy to fix on the user end. Sprint has been making a lot of configuration changes related to T-Mobile roaming integration, so it's possible that's the cause. 

• 1 month later...

I have a Pixel 2 and could not connect to US Cellular LTE in Nebraska this past weekend. My wife's iPhone X worked fine.

I'm going to try to get a hold of customer care and see if they have anything to say. I'll report back here when I get a resolution.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I spoke with customer care via chat. They asked me to toggle the data roaming switch in settings. I seem to remember this fixing a Sprint roaming issue I had with a different Android device I owned many moons ago. I bet this fixes the problem. I'll be in Hermann Missouri this weekend to test. I'll report when I get back.

They also had me update profile / prl / reboot ... but I'd already done that. I'm gonna bet this roaming turn-it-off-and-back-on-again thing actually works.

I spoke with customer care via chat. They asked me to toggle the data roaming switch in settings. I seem to remember this fixing a Sprint roaming issue I had with a different Android device I owned many moons ago. I bet this fixes the problem. I'll be in Hermann Missouri this weekend to test. I'll report when I get back.
They also had me update profile / prl / reboot ... but I'd already done that. I'm gonna bet this roaming turn-it-off-and-back-on-again thing actually works.
I suspect it won't fix it. The Pie update has lots of issues with Sprint. See my post here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-Nebraska/Iowa-Premier-Thread#entry533932

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I suspect it won't fix it. The Pie update has lots of issues with Sprint. See my post here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-Nebraska/Iowa-Premier-Thread&do=findComment&comment=533932

Well, I hope you're wrong. There's not much I can do about it otherwise it would seem. I tried Google support today as well and they told me to talk to my carrier. (sigh)

On 9/25/2018 at 1:54 PM, DurhamHusker said:

On 9/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, ingenium said:

I suspect it won't fix it. The Pie update has lots of issues with Sprint. See my post here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5375-Nebraska/Iowa-Premier-Thread#entry533932

On 9/25/2018 at 9:04 PM, DurhamHusker said:

Well, I hope you're wrong. There's not much I can do about it otherwise it would seem. I tried Google support today as well and they told me to talk to my carrier. (sigh)

I went to Hermann, MO, this weekend and still had problems. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, DurhamHusker said:

I'm in US Cellular territory again today. Same problems.

US Cellular is having a network wide data outage.  They have acknowledged on their twitter feed.  No ETA.

I'm on a really rural project right now and US Cellular roaming has been fantastic on my unlocked Note 9. I save my heavier data usage for when I'm back at the hotel, which is in Sprint territory.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm on a really rural project right now and US Cellular roaming has been fantastic on my unlocked Note 9. I save my heavier data usage for when I'm back at the hotel, which is in Sprint territory.

Well ... I'm on an unlocked Pixel 2. Have had problems since the Android 9 update. My wife on an iPhone X has no trouble.

29 minutes ago, though said:

Just found this link.

See my post from 2 months ago not being able to roam in US Cellular territory with either of my Pixel 2 XL's. This area has been rock solid previously.

Since I'm still on Oreo with my unlocked Note 9, I can't really say if it's a Pixel 2 issue or a Pie issue unfortunately.

Seems to be an "Oreo" issue or "non-Sprint branded phone" issue (Nexus 5, 5x, 6, 6P, Pixel 1, 2, 3).

Be interesting if anyone with any of these phones can successfully 'LTE Data Roam' on USCC now...

14 hours ago, DurhamHusker said:

Have any of you having these problems tried a "Hands Free Activation"?

*#*#72786#*#*

I don't think I did but tried everything else 1,000 times (on 2 diff Pixel 2 XL's)...

I've tried a lot of things, myself. But this one hadn't occurred to me. I performed the activation and prl update that the cs rep asked me to do last night. However, I won't have a chance to roam again for a while.

Let me know if one of you guys gets a chance to try this out.

• Like 2

Seems to be an "Oreo" issue or "non-Sprint branded phone" issue (Nexus 5, 5x, 6, 6P, Pixel 1, 2, 3).
Be interesting if anyone with any of these phones can successfully 'LTE Data Roam' on USCC now...
I have an unlocked Note 9 on Oreo and it LTE roams fine. So it might just be a Pixel issue. Or Pie.