Faster 3G in NYC

Wfmets45

I must say that I am quite impressed with Sprint and at the speeds I am getting throughout the borough of Queens in NYC. When I first got my iPhone 4S back in November, the speeds I was getting were around .20-.30 Mbps for down and about .10 for up. I was really frustrated with them that I decided to file a complain with the BBB and Sprint called me back within 10 days and I told them about the slow speeds and they opened up a ticket to upgrade capacity in my area. They told me that if I wasn't satisfied within a month, they would waive the ETF and allow me to leave.

Sprint is really trying to step up their game and now I am finally seeing the results.

It's been a month now and about a few mins ago around 2:00pm EST I ran a speed test and I was able to hit 1.46 Mbps up and 1.08 Mbps down and this is in another area not near my home. Yesterday in my home area I also noticed faster speeds and it seems like it has just been getting faster and faster in the past month. Sprint has done a total of 4 capacity upgrades in the towers near me. I am happy I decided to stay with Sprint.

In the Bronx it was ridiculously slow and on Sunday I also noticed faster speeds and althought it wasn't as fast as it is Queens, it is definitely getting there.

Makes me more anxious to test an NV site around here if there are any active.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info! I'm going to do this as well. Sprint sometimes doesn't listen to u, until u complain higher, to get stuff done....

Yes, that is correct. The lady I spoke to was an executive analyst I believe her title was and she was very friendly and understanding. She told me that whenever a customer files a complain with the FCC or BBB or some other agency, Sprint get's fined and they don't like paying those so they do whatever they can to solve your issue and keep you as a customer.

Just be patient and don't expect much better speeds from one day to the next. I had to wait from a month to a month and a half to see better results.

She also told me that in NYC it takes time to do upgrades because all their towers are on top of apartment buildings or office buildings and they need to contact the landlord to let the technician go to the roof and do maintenance and upgrades and sometimes the landlord isn't available on a day that Sprint has planned to do maintenance and they are forced to wait an extra day.

But I am happy I could help and like I said, just be patient with them when you file your complain but also be a bit persistent. They will try to solve your problem.

• Like 2

Yes, that is correct. The lady I spoke to was an executive analyst I believe her title was and she was very friendly and understanding. She told me that whenever a customer files a complain with the FCC or BBB or some other agency, Sprint get's fined and they don't like paying those so they do whatever they can to solve your issue and keep you as a customer.

Just be patient and don't expect much better speeds from one day to the next. I had to wait from a month to a month and a half to see better results.

She also told me that in NYC it takes time to do upgrades because all their towers are on top of apartment buildings or office buildings and they need to contact the landlord to let the technician go to the roof and do maintenance and upgrades and sometimes the landlord isn't available on a day that Sprint has planned to do maintenance and they are forced to wait an extra day.

But I am happy I could help and like I said, just be patient with them when you file your complain but also be a bit persistent. They will try to solve your problem.

Thanks, again! I have talked to Sprint numerous of times to check if their was outage, or any updates. Always their answer is No, there isn't any outages in my area, and no updates at the moment. I used to never have problem with 3G/4G til last year, been trying to cover for Sprint, and waiting patiently for result, but still nothing has been resolved. LTE will really be the kicker of me staying or leaving. I really miss having decent data speeds. Hate seeing connection to slow to retrieve items, or network error when trying to play videos, downloading Apps, Speed Test and surfing the web.

I am just north of Tampa, Fl and today I have been getting 1mbps+ in the same areas I used to average less than 100kbps. I hope many more areas are getting better speeds!

That is awesome. I hope Sprint keeps these upgrades rolling.

Sounds like it does not fail the Null Hypothesis to me. Get back with us for some more numbers, because I get similar results every once in a while, but like most. .5mbs is the Sprint 3G fast lane.

Thanks for the info, mate! I may give this a try myself.

No problem. Sprint executuves will definitely take you much more serious than their customer care and they are much more friendly and want to help you with your issues.

I decided to stick around and not leave for AT&T because of their better data speeds around here and can't wait for Network Vision.

Waiting patiently for NV here in NY/NJ...along with the enhanced coverage...annoying have to deal with drop calls where there were none before.

Robert told me earlier today that there were only 2 active NV sites in NYC but he shiul be getting an update soon so hopefully there are more.

Maybe those calls are from the implementation of NV around your area but I don't know. I'm no expert.

How are your data speeds?

Filed a complaint with the BBB for my area. I forgot about doing this, read about this months ago on another forum, until I read your post. LOL The BBB only gives you like 1200 words to do your complaint in. I found myself having to condense what I wanted to convey somewhat.

This thread is starting to go sideways and runs counter to our purpose here at S4GRU. We are not a complaint board for Sprint. We are site dedicated to discussing Sprint network improvements. Thanks.

Robert

• Like 6

Robert told me earlier today that there were only 2 active NV sites in NYC but he shiul be getting an update soon so hopefully there are more.

Maybe those calls are from the implementation of NV around your area but I don't know. I'm no expert.

How are your data speeds?

Scratch that...waiting patiently for updates :)