Google voice integration going away June 1st

mc_gusto

Just got an email

Due to upcoming upgrades to Sprint's network, Sprint will no longer be supporting the Google Voice with Sprint integration. This change affects any Sprint customers who use their Sprint number as their Google Voice number, or any Google Voice users who use their Google Voice number on their Sprint phone through Sprint's built-in Google Voice integration features. This change does not affect customers who use Google Voice with a Sprint forwarding phone but have not enabled the "Google Voice with Sprint" integration; only the integration is being disabled. Users with the "Google Voice with Sprint" option enabled will see a Sprint icon at the top of their legacy Google Voice settings page.

What changes on June 1, 2018 if you are using Google Voice with Sprint integration?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mc_gusto said:

Just got an email

Due to upcoming upgrades to Sprint's network, Sprint will no longer be supporting the Google Voice with Sprint integration. This change affects any Sprint customers who use their Sprint number as their Google Voice number, or any Google Voice users who use their Google Voice number on their Sprint phone through Sprint's built-in Google Voice integration features. This change does not affect customers who use Google Voice with a Sprint forwarding phone but have not enabled the "Google Voice with Sprint" integration; only the integration is being disabled. Users with the "Google Voice with Sprint" option enabled will see a Sprint icon at the top of their legacy Google Voice settings page.

What changes on June 1, 2018 if you are using Google Voice with Sprint integration?

My guess would be the new IMS for VoLTE. 

I'm not surprised, it didn't work with HD voice or wifi calling and later calling plus. It was only a matter of time before it was pulled. I enjoyed it for a few years, but stopped using it last year to take advantage of Sprint's own calling features I was missing out on.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, travismheim said:

I'm not surprised, it didn't work with HD voice or wifi calling and later calling plus. It was only a matter of time before it was pulled. I enjoyed it for a few years, but stopped using it last year to take advantage of Sprint's own calling features I was missing out on.

"own calling features" ???

"own calling features" ???

HD voice, wifi calling and calling plus. None of those work if you have Google voice with Sprint integration enabled. Sure you could sort of get the same functionality using Hangouts calling, but it's not the same quality and not as easy to use compared to baked in features.

7 hours ago, mc_gusto said:

HD voice, Wifi calling, Rcs and now volte.

I want to port my number out but I'll lose out on mms

HD voice is still enabled when you are using the GV voicemail integration, not the full integration though.

Wifi calling isn't available on any Pixel or Nexus phones, but you can use Hangouts Dialer, which is essentially the same.

RCS works as it should while using GV voicemail integration, not sure if the full integration.

8 hours ago, mc_gusto said:

HD voice, Wifi calling, Rcs and now volte.

I want to port my number out but I'll lose out on mms

I believe Google Voice now supports MMS. You should kook into it, but I'm pretty sure I've been able to send and receive MMS from the Google Voice app.

• Love 1

I believe Google Voice now supports MMS. You should kook into it, but I'm pretty sure I've been able to send and receive MMS from the Google Voice app.
I forgot about MMS problems. I disabled full integration about six months ago and I was able to send MMS but they would be received through the default sms app. It wasn't too bad when Hangouts handled sms with integrated threads but when that was taken away it was pretty annoying.

Using Google Voice separately (voicemail integration with Sprint, so conditional call forwarding which will continue to work), MMS has worked for a while. At least using Hangouts. My issue with it for calls is that if I'm in an area with congested data, then calls are flakey.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hangouts integration kept me w Sprint as NV was happening. My tendency to be indoors would push voice calls to data so I could receive them. I haven't dug deep into what level of integration I have still, but it is a bummer that stopped working a few months ago. Voice is still difficult in our market. I get MMS over Hangouts and the stock app depending on what the sender is using. My SMS still usually go to Hangouts.

Since the majority of 1x calls that ring through when I have service is spam generated numbers with similar prefixes I haven't really invested time in using voice much. Nexus user so WeeFee calling is out. The answer here has been and continues to be densification. 

Since the majority of 1x calls that ring through when I have service is spam generated numbers with similar prefixes I haven't really invested time in using voice much. Nexus user so WeeFee calling is out. The answer here has been and continues to be densification. 

If you have Tasker, I have a profile setup that I can share with you to block calls on Hangouts and CDMA from spoofed phone numbers that aren't in my address book. Just triggers a notification saying it was blocked. I can export it as a standalone apk too if you let me know your area code and exchange. I get several spoofed spam calls a day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, though said:

HD voice is still enabled when you are using the GV voicemail integration, not the full integration though.

Wifi calling isn't available on any Pixel or Nexus phones, but you can use Hangouts Dialer, which is essentially the same.

RCS works as it should while using GV voicemail integration, not sure if the full integration.

If you had full GV integration, meaning your GV number was your Sprint number, those things did not work as expected.

Any suggestion of what I should do?  I've had this # since joining Sprint in 2002, and have really appreciated GV carrier-integration.  For example:  Not that minutes seem to be a problem for anyone nowadays; but I've been holding onto my Everything Data 450 (minutes) plan since I got it in 2007, and with GV never seem to use more than 10 minutes/month.

So now it seems like I have to port my Google Voice Sprint number over to Google Voice completely, and get a new Sprint number.  I'll have carry-over functionality like keeping all of my old texts, and being able to have GV ring my desk and work cell phone (and now new Sprint #).

Pro:  I can update to a plan that will allow me the free 10GB/MHS/month and WiFi calling, plus whatever else Sprint is coming out with.

CON:  I'll be calling out with a new number that none of my relatives or friends have; which I know is a small problem, BUT I always want them to call me back on my GV #!

I'd consider porting my number to another carrier, especially say Google Project Fi; however I just got a carrier-locked Moto Z2 Force.

9 hours ago, buyhevs said:

Any suggestion of what I should do?  I've had this # since joining Sprint in 2002, and have really appreciated GV carrier-integration.  For example:  Not that minutes seem to be a problem for anyone nowadays; but I've been holding onto my Everything Data 450 (minutes) plan since I got it in 2007, and with GV never seem to use more than 10 minutes/month.

So now it seems like I have to port my Google Voice Sprint number over to Google Voice completely, and get a new Sprint number.  I'll have carry-over functionality like keeping all of my old texts, and being able to have GV ring my desk and work cell phone (and now new Sprint #).

Pro:  I can update to a plan that will allow me the free 10GB/MHS/month and WiFi calling, plus whatever else Sprint is coming out with.

CON:  I'll be calling out with a new number that none of my relatives or friends have; which I know is a small problem, BUT I always want them to call me back on my GV #!

I'd consider porting my number to another carrier, especially say Google Project Fi; however I just got a carrier-locked Moto Z2 Force.

I gave up GV integration last year when we switched to a new plan that included the 10GB hotspot. The biggest thing I missed was being able to reply to text messages from my Chrome browser, but got over that pretty quickly. Now, I didn't use the GV app much at all, I had it send texts to my phone like normal so they were all stored with the messaging app when I lost GV.

You don't have to port your GV-Sprint number over to solely GV. You can keep that as your Sprint number. How important is the call forwarding feature? I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish that, though it may not be as simple.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:53 AM, buyhevs said:

If you have a family plan you can transfer your Google voice number to Google voice. Next you can add a new line to your family plan to replace the existing one

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to figure out how closely I can replicate the existing Sprint - Google Voice full integration. I use it extensively.

Send and receive SMS and phone calls from multiple devices including PC. Send MMS from multiple devices including PC.

Make and receive calls with the standard phone functions on my primary number.

14 hours ago, mhammett said:

I'd like to figure out how closely I can replicate the existing Sprint - Google Voice full integration. I use it extensively.

Send and receive SMS and phone calls from multiple devices including PC. Send MMS from multiple devices including PC.

The closest thing I can think of is T-Mobile's DIGITS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 9:04 AM, mhammett said:

That's what I need to do, and I THINK I figured it out.

1. Adding a line to my account, and then porting my current Sprint # over to GV

2  Add the new number to the phones that GV rings

3.Set up my phone to use my Google Voice number when making outgoing calls(! SPRINT told me about this!): https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3379129?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1&vid=0-1032765751057-1524502956417

The only question if there is a way to have Google Messages, or find another MMS app, that would use my Google Voice number as default.

P.S.:  I'm not even sure if it still works, let alone if it allows MMS's; but Motorola had a Connect extension for Chrome:  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-85349/

1 hour ago, buyhevs said:

That's what I need to do, and I THINK I figured it out.

1. Adding a line to my account, and then porting my current Sprint # over to GV

2  Add the new number to the phones that GV rings

3.Set up my phone to use my Google Voice number when making outgoing calls(! SPRINT told me about this!): https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3379129?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1&vid=0-1032765751057-1524502956417

The only question if there is a way to have Google Messages, or find another MMS app, that would use my Google Voice number as default.

P.S.:  I'm not even sure if it still works, let alone if it allows MMS's; but Motorola had a Connect extension for Chrome:  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-85349/

Link your google voice account to google hangouts and you can get your google voice calls and texts in that app. https://support.google.com/voice/answer/6023920?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

• Like 1

How much of the current feature-set would one have if they just moved over to Google Fi?

I assume that you would lose any of the roaming partnerships that Sprint has, for whatever those are worth. I'm not sure on the current functionality.