Jump to content
Nextel49

Sprint Tmobile merger Disc.

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

I'm no moderator here officially, but I've served as one on many other sites, both private and commercial/for profit, and just want to underscore for you guys continuing this:  both Robert and other mods have warned you, and yet you're continuing the political-based discussion. 

Just to interject a friendly alternative suggestion before one of them comes in here and acts on that timeout threat - you could just as easily continue these back-and-forth arguments directly via private messaging, which the site supports.  It's your choice whether or not to do that, but you can continue as you are, or have that choice forced on you the hard way.

A S4GRU Moderator did take action in this instance.  Posting privileges temporarily removed.

Robert

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Going off topic a bit, the merger that I wished would've happened a long time ago is MetroPCS and U.S. Cellular. Their networks would've complimented each other so well and they would've been a decent 5th nationwide carrier with a combined 14 Million customers. 

They could have merged with a few other independents like C-Spire. 

Or I wish that Sprint would have merged with Leap, Metro, US Cellular, Allttel, C-spire and a few other rural carriers instead of Nextel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If only.   That would have been better looking back.  

Edited by dro1984

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marcelo is quoted in the article (https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-03-28/sprint-claim-it-s-weak-without-t-mobile-draws-u-s-skepticism) (March 28, 2019)

Sprint Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure told Congress March 12 that Sprint “is no longer in financial dire straits but we still do face serious challenges,” including poor network quality that can’t be fixed due to shaky finances and a lack of appropriate airwaves.

“There’s no way that we can invest and be able to compete at the same level” as AT&T and Verizon, Claure said at a hearing.

VS.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ceo-give-us-two-years-and-our-network-will-blow-past-rivals/ (May 27, 2015)

"You can invite me back here in two years -- our network will be ranked No. 1 or No. 2," Claure said Wednesday at Recode's Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verde, Calif. He later clarified that he meant No. 1 or 2 in the major markets.

.....

What happened? How did he get it so wrong? Does this justify the merger?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Marcelo is quoted in the article (https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-03-28/sprint-claim-it-s-weak-without-t-mobile-draws-u-s-skepticism) (March 28, 2019)

Sprint Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure told Congress March 12 that Sprint “is no longer in financial dire straits but we still do face serious challenges,” including poor network quality that can’t be fixed due to shaky finances and a lack of appropriate airwaves.

“There’s no way that we can invest and be able to compete at the same level” as AT&T and Verizon, Claure said at a hearing.

VS.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ceo-give-us-two-years-and-our-network-will-blow-past-rivals/ (May 27, 2015)

"You can invite me back here in two years -- our network will be ranked No. 1 or No. 2," Claure said Wednesday at Recode's Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verde, Calif. He later clarified that he meant No. 1 or 2 in the major markets.

.....

What happened? How did he get it so wrong? Does this justify the merger?

Capex did not legitimately increase until just a few months ago. The necessary network investment for that came years late.

Almost nothing was invested in the network for the two years following that statement. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprint stocks taking a hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprint if they don't merge will be a distant 4th in revenue and also a distant 4th in the amount it can invest in its network. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Marcelo is quoted in the article (https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-03-28/sprint-claim-it-s-weak-without-t-mobile-draws-u-s-skepticism) (March 28, 2019)

Sprint Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure told Congress March 12 that Sprint “is no longer in financial dire straits but we still do face serious challenges,” including poor network quality that can’t be fixed due to shaky finances and a lack of appropriate airwaves.

“There’s no way that we can invest and be able to compete at the same level” as AT&T and Verizon, Claure said at a hearing.

VS.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ceo-give-us-two-years-and-our-network-will-blow-past-rivals/ (May 27, 2015)

"You can invite me back here in two years -- our network will be ranked No. 1 or No. 2," Claure said Wednesday at Recode's Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verde, Calif. He later clarified that he meant No. 1 or 2 in the major markets.

.....

What happened? How did he get it so wrong? Does this justify the merger?

When or why did you ever believe?   Have they ever actually "finished" any project?   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprint needs to restructure the debt and it could be more aggressive and build the network. SoftBank need to help a bit if no merger.. Sprint spends $2.6 billion per year servicing its debt. Imagine if they had that cash to plow into network. Sprint will be fine. They just need to make a commitment and stick to it .. news are very negative today and many people believe if it goes to court sprint nor tmo will spend time and resources necessary to fight in court


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Capex did not legitimately increase until just a few months ago. The necessary network investment for that came years late.

Almost nothing was invested in the network for the two years following that statement. 

What possessed Marcelo to make such a proclamation? He had to know that Capex would be slashed, right? Did he expect to achieve this without Capex?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

When or why did you ever believe?   Have they ever actually "finished" any project?   

I didn’t think Marcelo would BS us to such a degree. I didn’t think Masa would either.

If 5G launches this May in the initial launch cities without VoLTE being officially launched, I won’t be surprised.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You can only be lied to so many times before you become extremely skeptical.   VoLTE?  What?!... wasn't that due to be done like last year fall?  What about Tri band on all macro cell locations?     I don't think any of this is finished or moving very quickly.   It shouldn't take years.  

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

You can only be lied to so many times before you become extremely skeptical.   VoLTE?  What?!... wasn't that due to be done like last year fall?  What about Tri band on all macro cell locations?     I don't think any of this is finished or moving very quickly.   It shouldn't take years.  

Yeah, I agree.  Sprint should never again give a timeline for any work they do.  Just say "It'll be done when we finish".  That way, they can never lie about a timeline again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Yeah, I agree.  Sprint should never again give a timeline for any work they do.  Just say "It'll be done when we finish".  That way, they can never lie about a timeline again.

What about a duty to the shareholders and what’s fair to other stakeholders?

People don’t invest in Sprint stock for the dividend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You can only be lied to so many times before you become extremely skeptical.   VoLTE?  What?!... wasn't that due to be done like last year fall?  What about Tri band on all macro cell locations?     I don't think any of this is finished or moving very quickly.   It shouldn't take years.  

I expect them to announce that 80% of towers have 2.5 but they said it would be done by April. I wish for once they actually made it on time or ahead of schedule.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect them to announce that 80% of towers have 2.5 but they said it would be done by April. I wish for once they actually made it on time or ahead of schedule.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once they get to 80% and above I Believe they can say we are virtually complete with 2.5 rollout


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:


Once they get to 80% and above I Believe they can say we are virtually complete with 2.5 rollout


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in June 2018 Sprint said that they “expect to complete the substantial majority of our tri-band upgrades by the end of fiscal 2018.”

(https://newsroom.sprint.com/triband-upgrades.htm)

The earnings call/report for the end of Fiscal 2018 should be in out about a month from now, so we’ll see what this actually means soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Back in June 2018 Sprint said that they “expect to complete the substantial majority of our tri-band upgrades by the end of fiscal 2018.”
(https://newsroom.sprint.com/triband-upgrades.htm)
The earnings call/report for the end of Fiscal 2018 should be in out about a month from now, so we’ll see what this actually means soon!

Yup, I think they will use the word we are VIRTUALLY complete with the 2.5 rollout.. TMO did the same with their band 12 rollout


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

Sprint needs to restructure the debt and it could be more aggressive and build the network. SoftBank need to help a bit if no merger.. Sprint spends $2.6 billion per year servicing its debt. Imagine if they had that cash to plow into network. Sprint will be fine. They just need to make a commitment and stick to it .. news are very negative today and many people believe if it goes to court sprint nor tmo will spend time and resources necessary to fight in court


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

restructuring your debt does not mean that you don't pay the debt but you may pay it over longer time period so the amount per year is less. Unless course you declare Chapter 11. Then some of your unsecured creditors might take a haircut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If the merger does not go through, I hope they revisit the idea of combining network assets and spectrum and have have a separate company run it which then sells capacity to both T-Mobile and Sprint. T-Mobile then become just marketing companies (MVNOs).

I do think that they will fight this in court. AT&T fought it and won.

Edited by bigsnake49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
restructuring your debt does not mean that you don't pay the debt but you may pay it over longer time period so the amount per year is less. Unless course you declare Chapter 11. Then some of your unsecured creditors might take a haircut.

Yup, options for sprint. And now with better numbers .. SoftBank May be able to convince the bank that they can invest in sprint and not lose the money


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If the merger does not go through, I hope they revisit the idea of combining network assets and spectrum and have have a separate company run it which then sells capacity to both T-Mobile and Sprint. T-Mobile then become just marketing companies (MVNOs).
I do think that they will fight this in court. AT&T fought it and won.

I doubt they spend resources and time on this... att took 3 years I believe .. this will put att and Verizon way ahead In the 5G race and pushes all of tmo timelines back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...