Jump to content
Nextel49

Sprint Tmobile merger Disc.

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

How will this work with Sprint being CDMA and TMobile being GSM ? To be honest, I've been considering leaving Sprint. I've been using Sprint for awhile, but I'm tired of not having access to other unlocked phones I want to use and the service where I am at is pretty bad. I can understand in the middle of nowhere, but in Orange County, CA the network is more developed and comprehensive, yet everytime I've checked speed test scores with T-Mobile and Sprint mine is always consistently slower. If they merge I'd wait, but I think regulators will halt it.

 

Been with Sprint awhile, but just really getting fed up.....the recent breaking point was last week I need to make an emergency call and was inside my house....yep "no signal".

I think that Sprint's customers will be migrated to WCDMA and VOLTE. CDMA will go away pretty soon and WCDMA will follow in a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sprint and T-mobile do not merge, I hope that Sprint, once they are on their feet financially and have their network in order,  enters into some kind of agreement with Dish with respect to some of their spectrum, namely their 600Mhz spectrum. It would not hurt if they sign an agreement for a discount on Dish's Sling service.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

If Sprint and T-mobile do not merge, I hope that Sprint, once they are on their feet financially and have their network in order,  enters into some kind of agreement with Dish with respect to some of their spectrum, namely their 600Mhz spectrum. It would not hurt if they sign an agreement for a discount on Dish's Sling service.

 

Honestly Sprint needs T-Mobile more than T-Mobile needs Sprint. Sprint is the weakest of the 4 financially. I think AT&T would not even blink for a second to buy T-Mobile if regulators approved. Sprint really does not offer anything unique anymore. Before they had the 2 yr contracts which kept me, but they were quietly phased out earlier this year which I was unaware of until about July.

 

They have an unlimited plan, but the other networks are now reintroducing it in their own way.....also outdated CDMA which means no internet and voice at the same time.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An Interesting byproduct of this kind of news...

I was on the cusp to move back to Sprint now since they are starting to deploy 800MHz in Washington State.  But now I will just stay on Tmo and wait and see.  Because if the merger does go through, I expect the network to go LTE Only or WCDMA/LTE.  Sprint CDMA being phased out relatively quickly.  No sense (and cents) in buying all new devices and jumping back to Sprint.  I will just ride it out and stay on the VoLTE ecosystem that will likely be the survivor.

I would like to see Sprint stay independent though.  I just don't expect it to happen.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

 

Honestly Sprint needs T-Mobile more than T-Mobile needs Sprint. Sprint is the weakest of the 4 financially. I think AT&T would not even blink for a second to buy T-Mobile if regulators approved. Sprint really does not offer anything unique anymore. Before they had the 2 yr contracts which kept me, but they were quietly phased out earlier this year which I was unaware of until about July.

 

They have an unlimited plan, but the other networks are now reintroducing it in their own way.....also outdated CDMA which means no internet and voice at the same time.....

This isn't an issue of need.  Sprint needs someone less now today than at any point in the past 5 years.  And Tmo doesn't need anyone.  It's a business decision.  It's believed it is the best return for share holders, if they can agree on a deal.  That is far different than need.  But money does make the world go round.

:welc2:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to see a merger for three reasons:

1. I don't want them having any association with TMO because that has the potential to drag TMO down with them if TMO doesn't handle the merger super carefully. 

2. I don't want my prices going up any higher than they already are (which are already asinine compared to many other countries) 

3. I want to see Sprint put into motion those densification plans that got out recently and see them succeed on their own. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprint has some of the best spectrum for dense areas with their huge amount of Sprint2500/2600mhz.  T-Mobile has some of the best wide area rural coverage and in building spectrum with the combination of Tmobile600/Tmobile700/Sprint800mhz.  The combination of the two companies plus some mid-band coverage should allow them to provide great coverage.  Keep 1 CDMA voice carrier and 1 GSM voice carrier and re-farm everything else to voLTE.  The network should be able to perform well for years.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, radem said:

Keep 1 CDMA voice carrier and 1 GSM voice carrier and re-farm everything else to voLTE.

GSM is dead, Jim.

Not everything T-Mobile is GSM.  People need to drop that misconception years ago.

AJ

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S4GRU said:

This isn't an issue of need.  Sprint needs someone less now today than at any point in the past 5 years.  And Tmo doesn't need anyone.  It's a business decision.  It's believed it is the best return for share holders, if they can agree on a deal.  That is far different than need.  But money does make the world go round.

:welc2:

 

1 hour ago, gusherb said:

I don't want to see a merger for three reasons:

1. I don't want them having any association with TMO because that has the potential to drag TMO down with them if TMO doesn't handle the merger super carefully. 

2. I don't want my prices going up any higher than they already are (which are already asinine compared to many other countries) 

3. I want to see Sprint put into motion those densification plans that got out recently and see them succeed on their own. 

I agree with Robert.   It's about Investor returns.... not much about network...    Besides, Son bought Sprint for this particular reason... you all know that.  No surprise.  He bought 70-80% of Sprint and wanted to Merge with T-Mobile from day one.   

Prices?  Well lets be reasonable... the free ride WILL stop regardless.   Merger or not.   But I do believe there will be incentives we will all enjoy in  addition to a much more robust network!    T-Mobil will make it happen...   Like others, Sprint has made many promises public this week (again) waving the carrot... but history says they are only 40-50% on record to hold true to those promises...   Lots of disappointment and incomplete work over the years.    That won't be the case once combined.  They will have to button the networks up and get them running in harmony and migrate people quickly to WCDMA, VoLTE.... etc...  

As a last resort... there are lower tier carriers (MVNO's) you can go to....   Google FI, Consumers, Metro, Family Mobile.... on and on... still viable options for most.   These are just my ideas and thoughts/oppinons.   Nothing is certain at this point.   Still better than going to AT&T or Verizon.    (My dinner just came up a little after mentioning those 2 names...)

Edited by dro1984

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Prices?  Well lets be reasonable... the free ride WILL stop regardless.   Merger or not.   

I meant everyones prices, not Sprint. Sprint's prices now are clearly unsustainable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal.  Part of business.    That's the goal.   Can't always stop that.  We are all employees of someone or something.  We all want pay increases too right?   Well...

I'm very willing to have to pay a little more if I feel the product i'm getting is of good quality and integrity.

Edited by dro1984

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

No, why?

Because as of right now it's still pretty high value with only one device that supports it and pretty much undeployed/unable to be deployed in many areas for another 2-3 years. I'm not suggesting that they should divest it, but it would likely be one of the first things on the chopping block.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S4GRU said:

This isn't an issue of need.  Sprint needs someone less now today than at any point in the past 5 years.  And Tmo doesn't need anyone.  It's a business decision.  It's believed it is the best return for share holders, if they can agree on a deal.  That is far different than need.  But money does make the world go round.

:welc2:

That is true however Sprint has a negative operating margin. Out of the 4 US providers, Sprint is the only one to keep having this financial issue. They have for quite sometime and financially while they are not under any threat to go bankrupt, at the same time they are behaving like a half dead zombie that isn't quite dead, but not fully alive to make heavy hitting upgrades to compete with AT&T and Verizon. So you are right it does come down to money which Sprint isn't swimming in.

 

 

In fact, here in California I don't have access to Band 26 due to the issue with Mexico, so it's just 41 or 25 for me.

Edited by Swordfish
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

That is true however Sprint has a negative operating margin.

Sprint hasn't had a consistent negative operating margin for a while unless we are confusing things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, grapkoski said:

Sprint hasn't had a consistent negative operating margin for a while unless we are confusing things.

Their operating margin had been consistently negative annually until 2015. I'd consider that consistent with the exception of 2011 which was flat basically.

Edited by Swordfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Because as of right now it's still pretty high value with only one device that supports it and pretty much undeployed/unable to be deployed in many areas for another 2-3 years. I'm not suggesting that they should divest it, but it would likely be one of the first things on the chopping block.

No, I don't think so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gusherb said:

I meant everyones prices, not Sprint. Sprint's prices now are clearly unsustainable. 

T-Mobile raised theirs already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

T-Mobile raised theirs already.

well T-Mobile has been much much more consistent through action with network upgrades,expansion,and spectrum deployement and use. which as been proven by action. Sprint has made many empty promises that have either never been full filled or have been severly delayed. if they had been much better in terms of deployment and of course money then T Mobile Would be where sprint is Today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

well T-Mobile has been much much more consistent through action with network upgrades,expansion,and spectrum deployement and use. which as been proven by action. Sprint has made many empty promises that have either never been full filled or have been severly delayed. if they had been much better in terms of deployment and of course money then T Mobile Would be where sprint is Today.

This is a very shortsighted comment.  As if Sprint had the ability to print money.  Or they had some large windfall and mis-spent it.  It is Tmo that had the windfall, like when AT&T had to pay them off after they pulled out of the buyout.  Sprint only had tons of debt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok i see my mistake...but i do hope something good comes out of this...i mean the two smaller carriers needs to be able to compete on larger scale..i hope this works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

ok i see my mistake...but i do hope something good comes out of this...i mean the two smaller carriers needs to be able to compete on larger scale..i hope this works!

I don't feel an apology is necessary.    It's your personal take on a given event (Events) many both from a technology standpoint and an Investment strategy...   

Some of the past decisions by Sprint's upper leadership left the company holding the "bag of nothing".   The WiMax decision was huge!   WIthin a month or two after it was announced with huge fanfare, Sprint would use WiMax.   I remember other notables being Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile choosing LTE.   The LTE standard wasn't complete at the time, but quickly came to be..., but being the odd kid on the block, going it alone on a technology nobody wanted to share with them, was a huge blunder that hurt the company for many years and still hasn't completely recovered from.   Scale of economics.    

The inability to police all of their partners at the time (Affiliates) and make sure the network was providing customers a good experience... The lack of them adding CDMA to all of the Nextel Towers.... On and on... yes, it would have taken money, but they ended up wasting millions of dollars regardless by not doing it.    Pay a little now.... or a LOT later!   

That was yesterday.... Let's hope, and it sure does look like now, Sprint is on the right track and is taking their network very seriously!   It is truly a breadth of fresh air! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With or without the merger, prices will go back up. Right now price is what Sprint competes on. After they expand their network and have a network that can compete with others, they'll no longer have to compete on price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Robert, no phone upgrades for me until this gets sorted out... If sprint goes away rebranded under tmo then I'll probably sign up with Verizon.

I think masa has an uphill battle even with the current administration because both companies are operating at their best levels with lowest industry prices in years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a lot of news sources are saying that Softbank is giving up most control of Sprint to T-Mobile on the merger. 

Do you think Softbank has a long term plan on buying T-Mobile once the merger is complete?

I'm not in favor of this merger if it does go through. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Thank you Mike one of the guys clarified it. Good to know I wasn’t seeing things lol


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • The app already uses EARFCN as the primary means to identify the LTE band.. it will try to match a GCI pattern first, but if there are no matches or the "guessed" band does not match EARFCN data that appears to be valid, it uses the EARFCN instead. Since there are so many B14 sector possibilities right now, I don't think I will continue adding them beyond what is programmed now. Most newer devices on newer Android builds are properly reporting EARFCN, with some exceptions (issues with B66/B71 most notably). GCI pattern matching has become most useful to identify "special" cells (MM/SC/MB/Airave/etc) as well as multiple carriers.   I know this was answered elsewhere, but for the benefit of anyone who comes along later -- a small cell second carrier has been identified that follows the same GCI pattern as one sector of a Mini-Macro second carrier. Since the app has no way to know which one it is, it displays both indicators when this occurs. -Mike
    • I mentioned it earlier the Tampa market thread, but i made my first VoLTE call today on my iPhone XS.

      I got a spam call during a game I was playing. Normally this cuts off my data session and it takes a while to reload, but this time after declining the call, the game carried on like nothing happened. I thought that was odd and checked the carrier info on my iPhone XS and saw IMS was active for SMS and Voice. Woohoo!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • So, TMobile has stated that if the merger goes through, you'll be able to go into a Sprint store but be put on TMobile's network. What if you already have a plan on Sprint.  Would I be able to get say a OnePlus 6T, activate it on my account and it be on TMobile's network?
    • Just noticed this today (MM2/SC2) anyone else?

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Recently Browsing

×