Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Good news everyone

The Justice Department is unlikely to approve a planned merger between T-Mobile and Sprint, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
Staffers from the Justice Department have reportedly told both carriers that the deal may not be approved under its current structure, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/16/sprint-stock-falls-10percent-on-report-t-mobile-merger-is-unlikely-to-be-approved-as-currently-structured.html
IMHO...

If the T-Mobile & Sprint Merger does not get approved, then Sprint, most likely will be sold off for parts to all of other wireless carriers.

Or, as other have suggested, Sprint will most likely be absorbed by either Comcast or Dish or a similar service.

Possibilly Sprint might be able to merge with US Cellular or Shentel, if the Justice Department would allow that.

Another remote possibility would be that Sprint would become a Regional Carrier, after selling of a lot of its assets.

I personally just don't see Sprint surviving on its own as a National Carrier. Which is too bad, because I have always be a fan of Sprint, since their GTE Sprint and US Telecom days.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/16/sprint-stock-falls-10percent-on-report-t-mobile-merger-is-unlikely-to-be-approved-as-currently-structured.html
So in your eyes layoffs for Sprint employees is good? That's what going to happen if it fails plus how can Sprint pay for 5G when they are paying still for LTE plus they need to expand coverage instead of so much roaming which they can't afford.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

There would be layoffs if the companies merged.

How can Sprint pay for 5G?... SoftBank can open its wallet and pay for it. It owns nearly 85% of Sprint, and it has to answer to the Sprint/SoftBank shareholders if the Sprint asset continues to lag on its books.

If true, this news makes me very happy. A merger would have simply let SoftBank off the hook and it would have resulted in unnecessary carrier consolidation. I don't subscribe to the "Fear China" 5G justifications being put forward at all.

Masa/Marcelo: You might want to take your houses off the Market given this news....

https://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article42616254.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/11/18/claure-masayoshi-mission-hills-mansions-for-sale.html

You could be sticking around.

• Like 1

How can Sprint pay for 5G?... SoftBank can open its wallet and pay for it. It owns nearly 85% of Sprint, and it has to answer to the Sprint/SoftBank shareholders if the Sprint asset continues to lag on its books.
If true, this news makes me very happy. A merger would have simply let SoftBank off the hook and it would have resulted in unnecessary carrier consolidation. I don't subscribe to the "Fear China" 5G justifications being put forward at all.
Masa/Marcelo: You might want to take your houses off the Market given this news....
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/11/18/claure-masayoshi-mission-hills-mansions-for-sale.html
I don't disagree with that accept softbank isn't willing to do that. I only support it cause of 5G. TMobile has better coverage these days and I think B41 and 71 combined will make things better. Gigabit or higher speeds will require 200 mhz of spectrum. Sprint now has the lowest amount of lowband FDD spectrum. 5x5 vs 10x10 or so on everyone else. Softbank should have bought some 600 mhz also.

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

I don't disagree with that accept softbank isn't willing to do that. I only support it cause of 5G. TMobile has better coverage these days and I think B41 and 71 combined will make things better. Gigabit or higher speeds will require 200 mhz of spectrum. Sprint now has the lowest amount of lowband FDD spectrum. 5x5 vs 10x10 or so on everyone else. Softbank should have bought some 600 mhz also.

Either SoftBank will be willing to pay up with a capex infusion or we'll see Sprint become part of another company. Either way, the market will retain four major wireless carrier participants, which I think it needs to.

I've been saying for a long time that it was a huge mistake for SoftBank/Sprint to sit out the 600 MHz auction. It was a huge strategic error.

Having sat it out, now Sprint is in the position of having to build out a national 5G network using the economics of 2.5GHz, which aren't as bad as Millimeter Wave, but aren't as good as 600 MHz... and it's hilarious to see Sprint justify the T-Mobile merger by saying it lacks low-band spectrum after saying it was "Spectrum of the Past".

Just desserts for SoftBank in my opinion.

Either SoftBank will be willing to pay up with a capex infusion or we'll see Sprint become part of another company. Either way, the market will retain four major wireless carrier participants, which I think it needs to.
I've been saying for a long time that it was a huge mistake for SoftBank/Sprint to sit out the 600 MHz auction. It was a huge strategic error.
Having sat it out, now Sprint is in the position of having to build out a national 5G network using the economics of 2.5GHz, which aren't as bad as Millimeter Wave, but aren't as good as 600 MHz... and it's hilarious to see Sprint justify the T-Mobile merger by saying it lacks low-band spectrum after saying it was "Spectrum of the Past".
Just desserts for SoftBank in my opinion.
I do completely agree with you. I was against it at first. Other than Dish or TMobile I'm not a fan of Sprint becoming part of another company. If LTE was the only future if be against it completely

• Like 1

Good news everyone

The Justice Department is unlikely to approve a planned merger between T-Mobile and Sprint, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
Staffers from the Justice Department have reportedly told both carriers that the deal may not be approved under its current structure, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

Good if you are Verizon or ATT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Marcelo moved to Japan a handful of months ago. I think he moved his whole family to Tokyo from what  I can see on his twitter feed. He ain't coming back to Overland Park ever again. The guy got a  big promotion as a Softbank executive for cutting so many expenses at Sprint. 

Marcelo moved to Japan a handful of months ago. I think he moved his whole family to Tokyo from what  I can see on his twitter feed. He ain't coming back to Overland Park ever again. The guy got a  big promotion as a Softbank executive for cutting so many expenses at Sprint. 
Expensives that made the network suffer

Sprint stock price may fall to $3 IMO if merger does fail.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed something but why would he be in Kansas?

He works for SoftBank

1 minute ago, Johnner1999 said:

Maybe I missed something but why would he be in Kansas?

He works for SoftBank

Yes, you missed something I state he moved to Japan due to a promotion as Softbank executive.

1 minute ago, dkyeager said:

Lmao, there was plenty of low band spectrum to buy a couple of years back in that 600mhz auction. Daddy Softbank at the time was putting together a vision fund that had funds up to 100 billion. I am sure they wouldn't have any problem buying low-band spectrum instead they went into a spending spree of significant investments:

Uber
$9.3B
ARM Holdings*
$8.2B
NVIDIA
$5.0B
WeWork**
$4.4B
Flipkart
$2.5B
GM Cruise
$2.3B
One97 Communications (Paytm)
$1.9B
OneWeb*
$1.2B
Ping An Healthcare Technology
$1.2B
Roivant
$1.1B
Fanatics
$1.0B
SoFi*
$1.0B
Katerra
$0.9B
Auto1
$0.6B
Doordash
$0.5B
Improbable*
$0.5B
Vir
$0.5B
ZhongAn
$0.5B
Compass
$0.5B
Ping An Good Doctor
$0.4B
Guardant Health
$0.4B
Wag
$0.3B
OYO
$0.3B
Slack
$0.3B
Plenty
$0.2B
Mapbox
$0.2B
Nauto*
$0.2B
Brain Corp.

Lmao, there was plenty of low band spectrum to buy a couple of years back in that 600mhz auction. Daddy Softbank at the time was putting together a vision fund that had funds up to 100 billion. I am sure they wouldn't have any problem buying low-band spectrum instead they went into a spending spree of significant investments:
Uber
$9.3B
ARM Holdings*
$8.2B
NVIDIA
$5.0B
WeWork**
$4.4B
Flipkart
$2.5B
GM Cruise
$2.3B
One97 Communications (Paytm)
$1.9B
OneWeb*
$1.2B
Ping An Healthcare Technology
$1.2B
Roivant
$1.1B
Fanatics
$1.0B
SoFi*
$1.0B
Katerra
$0.9B
Auto1
$0.6B
Doordash
$0.5B
Improbable*
$0.5B
Vir
$0.5B
ZhongAn
$0.5B
Compass
$0.5B
Ping An Good Doctor
$0.4B
Guardant Health
$0.4B
Wag
$0.3B
OYO
$0.3B
Slack
$0.3B
Plenty
$0.2B
Mapbox
$0.2B
Nauto*
$0.2B
Brain Corp.

Didn't Dish want Sprint around the same time Softbank got them? Seems like that would have been a better choice.

Didn't Dish want Sprint around the same time Softbank got them? Seems like that would have been a better choice.

I doubt it. Charlie doesn’t have the capitol.

2 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

Charlie drove up the price of Clearwire therefor reducing the amount of money available for Sprint improvements.

• Like 1

Well they have spectrum that has to be used at some point

• Like 1

Just now, Tengen31 said:

Well they have spectrum that has to be used at some point

This is true. They do have some 600MHz and 700MHz that would go good with 2.5GHz. Not to mention their AWS-4 and the little bit of AWS-3 they have.

41 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

So they bet the fate of the company on a non-traditional monopole strategy which failed, and now they’re stuck with doing a traditional build but lacking the actual spectrum to do that traditional build in an economical way. It’s like they didn’t anticipate a downside... or perhaps it was “we’ll merge our way out of trouble.”

No wonder there was such confidence that 600 MHz was “Spectrum of the past”. The room was probably full of people who were afraid to say no or bad idea to Masa’s network plan... and then it came crashing down to earth. This is up there with the Nextel acquisition in terms of strategic blunders, I’m sorry.

• Like 2

Didn't SoftBank have a provision where they would be required to buy all of the Sprint stock if they ever went over the 85% mark?  I thought that was why they couldn't just put more money into Sprint. Just asking.
Yeah I forgot about that

• Like 1

This is true. They do have some 600MHz and 700MHz that would go good with 2.5GHz. Not to mention their AWS-4 and the little bit of AWS-3 they have.
They also have spectrum contiguous with Sprints G Block just don't think that's B25 tho..

1 hour ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Didn't SoftBank have a provision where they would be required to buy all of the Sprint stock if they ever went over the 85% mark?  I thought that was why they couldn't just put more money into Sprint. Just asking.

Yup. https://seekingalpha.com/news/3323100-softbank-boosts-sprint-stake-84_7-percent-ownership

At this point, they would have been better taking 100% ownership of Sprint.

On February 12, 2016 they could have bought it for $2.66/share... (so could of I as well!).

• Like 1