Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

24 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

So, if this merger goes through and it seems that it will, the New T-Mobile will have a very nice swath of 30x30MHz of 1900MHz. However it seems to me that they will have to go through a lot of swaps again to consolidate it into continuous spectrum. Are there any other spectrum swaps that they might do to simplify things? Like lets' say AWS for PCS? 

I think they might try to get 20x20 of contiguous PCS (possibly at the cost of some AWS spectrum) everywhere because that can be immediately deployed on all modern (600/700/1900/2100) and legacy (1900 only) T-Mobile sites as well as all Sprint sites. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

They can 100% go at it alone, but I kinda understand Softbank point of view, they do not want to go on a 3-5 year journey for 30% marketshare.

What do you base this on? What market research? I'll bet zero. Nothing is 100 percent in business or in life.

• Like 1

I've not noticed any more or less aggressive hand downs to 3G here in Atlanta. Same very few trouble spots as always that still somehow lack 4G after 6 years of deployment. Frustrating but overall, things are good here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utiz4321 said:

What do you base this on? What market research? I'll bet zero. Nothing is 100 percent in business or in life.

First off, I don't know what part of my comment your protesting? Sprint going at it alone? Or my speculation on how much market share they could end up with 3-5 years down the road with the proper investments from Softbank into Sprint as a standalone company?

All of my comments are based on speculation, and my guestimations are just that, guesses. Sorry if you intercepted them as facts, that's on you.

Don't see them (Softbank) pumping $20B+ into the Sprint network having three other competitors to fight and end up with just over a quarter of the market share.

Softbank's intentions are now clear, Sprint needs to self sustain until the merger is approved. They are not going to invest further into Sprint until they have no other option.

These are my opinions, simple as that...

3 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

First off, I don't know what part of my comment your protesting? Sprint going at it alone? Or my speculation on how much market share they could end up with 3-5 years down the road with the proper investments from Softbank into Sprint as a standalone company?

All of my comments are based on speculation, and my guestimations are just that, guesses. Sorry if you intercepted them as facts, that's on you.

Don't see them (Softbank) pumping $20B+ into the Sprint network having three other competitors to fight and end up with just over a quarter of the market share.

Softbank's intentions are now clear, Sprint needs to self sustain until the merger is approved. They are not going to invest further into Sprint until they have no other option.

No one has any intension of pumping 20 billion into sprint because they won't get a return on their money. I am 95 percent confident of that. 

Obviously I objected to the part of your statement the "100 percent" was refering to as i called that out. 

I agree, a reuter article came out earlier

Source here: https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1KR22P?__twitter_impression=true

The approval period could last longer then a year.. Now my take on might be called crazy , but this gives Sprint time and a roaming agreement from tmo that will help with customer satisfaction could lower their churn and help them gain market share. Now I'm not saying that softbank did it this way to buy them time, but 6-12 months (possibly longer)in the wireless industry is a long time lots can change.. Sprint is making strides as shown by John saw and the improvements at the Yankees stadium today... Sprint could make some great strides on their wireless network...

Market share is important, but the wireless industry isn't going anywhere and there is always room to grow.. I think Sprint need to start offering unlimited hotspot and better push on marketing and I think it will work .. just my opinion 18c3557923658bbd76da611a9b8113fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree, a reuter article came out earlier 
Source here: https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1KR22P?__twitter_impression=true

The approval period could last longer then a year.. Now my take on might be called crazy , but this gives Sprint time and a roaming agreement from tmo that will help with customer satisfaction could lower their churn and help them gain market share. Now I'm not saying that softbank did it this way to buy them time, but 6-12 months (possibly longer)in the wireless industry is a long time lots can change.. Sprint is making strides as shown by John saw and the improvements at the Yankees stadium today... Sprint could make some great strides on their wireless network...

Market share is important, but the wireless industry isn't going anywhere and there is always room to grow.. I think Sprint need to start offering unlimited hotspot and better push on marketing and I think it will work .. just my opinion 18c3557923658bbd76da611a9b8113fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The only problem I have with Sprint is the roaming holes In their native network footprint here. Like they can improve upon that by densifying and adding some sites. Obviously that’s a given the cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for even a couple of them. But something has to be done because it’s really bad where my parents are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

I don't think any bands would be blocked, but CA while roaming using Sprint handsets would be very unlikely. 

Carrier Aggregation, while useless due to the throttle, can be used by Sprint handsets that support CA on AT&T's bands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Carrier Aggregation, while useless due to the throttle, can be used by Sprint handsets that support CA on AT&T's bands.

Are you saying devices support it or you've seen it connected? I'm aware some devices may support it, but I hadn't seen roaming CA occur before.

11 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I think they might try to get 20x20 of contiguous PCS (possibly at the cost of some AWS spectrum) everywhere because that can be immediately deployed on all modern (600/700/1900/2100) and legacy (1900 only) T-Mobile sites as well as all Sprint sites. 

You're underestimating the pace at which T-Mobile moves in order to deploy LTE. I've seen some sites with SISO and then some other sites with satellite backhaul on 600 Mhz.

1 minute ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Are you saying devices support it or you've seen it connected? I'm aware some devices may support it, but I hadn't seen roaming CA occur before.

It happened on my old Nexus 5x before I switched. I'll see if I can find an old screenshot.

Don't know how useful it is to us due to the throttle Sprint has on AT&T LTE. I'm pretty sure CA works on USCC roaming if it's working on AT&T roaming.

20 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Hell, Sprint can get 20x20 alone once EVDO clears.

Hell, Sprint can get 20x20 alone once EVDO clears.
Some markets, such as most of Northern California (SF, Sacramento, etc) only have 30 (15 fdd) MHz total, and it's not contiguous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Some markets, such as most of Northern California (SF, Sacramento, etc) only have 30 (15 fdd) MHz total, and it's not contiguous.

Have they not yet swapped spectrum in those markets with other carriers?

Edited by bigsnake49

why isnt tmobiles 600 mhz listed here?
It is, it just further up the page. It doesn't all fit on one screen, I was just showing relevant information38d73cdd186092711848d559b36da634.jpg

• Like 1

It is, it just further up the page. It doesn't all fit on one screen, I was just showing relevant information38d73cdd186092711848d559b36da634.jpg

OK now I understand. That’s one heck of a lot of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, ingenium said:

Nope. All the other carriers are already aligned.8dcdf61d148ceffe7508e5fd6a3b8f41.jpg

They can definitely exchange their 10x10 with Verizon's 10x10 thereby creating a 15x15 block. Are you sure it has not been done? How old is this bandplan?

Edited by bigsnake49

They can definitely exchange their 10x10 with Verizon's 10x10 thereby creating a 15x15 block. Are you sure it has not been done? How old is this bandplan?
Oh yeah they can. Hmm, not sure how I missed that. And yes, that is the current band layout. That's Alameda county in California (SF area). As of 2 weeks ago, the second b25 carrier is still at earfcn 8115, so a center downlink frequency of 1937.5 MHz.

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

What incentive does Verizon have to assist their competitor?

- Trip

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Trip said:

What incentive does Verizon have to assist their competitor?

- Trip

Somewhere else in another part of the country, Verizon may need Sprint's help. Helping another carrier isn't uncommon if the favor is returned in another market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greenbastard said:

Somewhere else in another part of the country, Verizon may need Sprint's help. Helping another carrier isn't uncommon if the favor is returned in another market.

I was under the impression that most of the spectrum swaps necessary had already happened--many of which happened without Sprint in the mix.

- Trip