Maybe I am reading this wrong but the title says that sprint will lose 125k postpaid customers but the second to that last sentence says "Sprint, which reports earnings April 25, added around 161,000 net postpaid subscribers during the fourth quarter."

On April 25th Sprint will report it's 1st quarter 2012 financials. The 161,000 number is from it's 4th quarter 2011 financials.

On April 25th Sprint will report it's 1st quarter 2012 financials. The 161,000 number is from it's 4th quarter 2011 financials.

Oh ok, I guess I interpreted it wrong then.

Do you still think Sprint wants to buy T-Mobile USA?

I am sure they still do but there is no feasible way for them to pull that off right now without spreading themselves entirely way to thin.

• Like 1

Do you still think Sprint wants to buy T-Mobile USA?

I think there after the fight Sprint put up to block TMO/ATT deal a merger was out of the question. They did try to work out a network sharing though it apparently went nowhere.

Here's a story from last month or so:

http://online.wsj.co...4239257808.html

Two potential Sprint deals have already foundered this year, according to people familiar with the matter: An acquisition of prepaid-carrier

MetroPCS Communications

Inc.

was shot down by the board, and talks with

Deutsche Telekom

AG

about network sharing with its T-Mobile USA went nowhere.

If you don't have a WSJ subscription, just search for the title of the article on google and click the resulting link. Should take you past the paywall to the full article.

Edited by marioc21

I think there after the fight Sprint put up to block TMO/ATT deal a merger was out of the question. They did try to work out a network sharing though it apparently went nowhere.

Here's a story from last month or so:

http://online.wsj.co...4239257808.html

If you don't have a WSJ subscribtion, just search for the title of the article on google and click the resulting link. Should take you past the paywall to the full article.

ok, cool! Thanks!

Remember, now that Sprint is doing something that would alter the Wireless playing field, everyone is into bashing them because at&t & Verizon are paying these analysts to do that. Sprint saw record growth last quarter, so they couldn't lose that many people from the massive gain the quarter before.

Really? Which analysts do they pay and how much?

Or are you just making stuff up?

Parent company DT has to do something to make this under-performing carrier worth their time and money. I was surprised after the merger failure that they didn't just announce that they were going to close T-Mobile USA down. Instead they are finally putting money into fixing it.

Total annual revenues of T-Mobile are over $20 billion a year.

Earnings before Interest, Depreciation, and Amortization is over $5 billion.

The 7,000 towers that T-Mobile owns is worth about $3.5-3 billion.

They have an average of 27MHz of PCS spectrum and 32MHz of AWS spectrum in the top 100 markets.

More than 80% of T-Mobile's sites are connected via fiber.

Sort of surprised you would think they would just shut it down. T-Mobile is just a lot different than Sprint.

I believe Sprint is gaining post-paid on the Sprint side but losing them on the Nextel side. IIRC they said to expect that trend to continue but it will be more than made up for by the cost savings of shutting down iDEN. Not sure how true that is but I guess we will see.

Total annual revenues of T-Mobile are over 20 billion a year.

Earnings before Interest' date=' Depreciation, and Amortization is over 5 billion.

The 7,000 towers that T-Mobile owns is worth about 3.5-3 billion.

They have an average of 27MHz of PCS spectrum and 32MHz of AWS spectrum in the top 100 markets.

More than 80% of T-Mobile's sites are connected via fiber.

Sort of surprised you would think they would just shut it down. T-Mobile is just a lot different than Sprint.[/quote']

It's just from all the articles i have read online that say that T-Mobile is just a leech for DT. I guess those articles were just rants from analysts after all.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

I believe Sprint is gaining post-paid on the Sprint side but losing them on the Nextel side. IIRC they said to expect that trend to continue but it will be more than made up for by the cost savings of shutting down iDEN. Not sure how true that is but I guess we will see.

Considering they are down to under 5 million postpaid iDEN subscribers... there isn't a lot left to lose but you are probably correct. You will likely continue to see losses on the iDEN side and I would guess see gains on the CDMA side (thanks to the iPhone).

Edited by irev210

Very true. If you look at their quarterly financials the Sprint brand has generally been positive for postpaid growth for a few quarters. Unfortunately, the nextel losses have usually been more than enough to offset any gains, resulting in net postpiad losses. There's not that many nextel customers left relative to where they started so hopefully with the iphone now in the stable the net losses will turn to regular gains.

It's just from all the articles i have read online that say that T-Mobile is just a leech for DT. I guess those articles were just rants from analysts after all.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

It's just not a core business for them and it's going down hill. T-Mobile is a really interesting wireless fixture in the US market.

Sprint is working hard to keep their Nextel subscribers, and giving them great deals on Sprint phone for the Switch. The good thing about iden was the signal strength was always most more stronger than Sprint's towers. Hopefully it will be a benefit for a stronger 4G LTE signal than currently on Sprint's Network.

Considering they are down to under 5 million postpaid iDEN subscribers... there isn't a lot left to lose but you are probably correct. You will likely continue to see losses on the iDEN side and I would guess see gains on the CDMA side (thanks to the iPhone).

More and More customers are using the direct connect feature less for business now a days. Even though Sprint does offer it now, as a option. They really achieve their goal of dropping iDen for 2013 as the last year, and switching ppl over to CDMA.

This is my thinking as well... And probably why they are announcing iDEN's shutdown now. Might as well start closing towers and reallocating spectrum to cut the network costs and improve your CDMA network. People who are going to stay will stay and the rest will jump ship anyway, no sense in prolonging it.

wow, that is troubling! Sprint needs to get on the ball with fixing the network ASAP! 3G speeds needs to be on par with VZW, and LTE needs to drop faster than what is going on now.....I have had a lot friends switch from Sprint, because they couldn't handle the data speeds. I'm a trooper for staying this long.....

Almost everyone I know on sprint around here has already left, or are planing to leave. Network here is just not worth paying for.

My wife is being a trooper, and true to her word has given sprint and me until the middle of this year to see if the band aid fixes work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Almost everyone I know on sprint around here has already left, or are planing to leave. Network here is just not worth paying for.

My wife is being a trooper, and true to her word has given sprint and me until the middle of this year to see if the band aid fixes work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I'm the same way. Waiting for this LTE to roll out, to make my decision........

Sprint is projecting steady 20%+ iDEN subscriber losses quarter after quarter until complete iDEN shut down. This is the main source of post paid subscriber losses. Sprint is not retaining iDEN subscribers at the rate they were hoping. The plan was to get them to move to Sprint Direct Connect or normal business CDMA accounts. However, competitors, especially ATT, have been very aggressive trying to pick up Nextel customers. Especially medium and large business customers.

After iDEN customers are migrated to CDMA, or all gone, you will finally see the end of the trend of postpaid subscriber losses.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Sprint is projecting steady 20%+ iDEN subscriber losses quarter after quarter until complete iDEN shut down. This is the main source of post paid subscriber losses. Sprint is not retaining iDEN subscribers at the rate they were hoping. The plan was to get them to move to Sprint Direct Connect or normal business CDMA accounts. However, competitors, especially ATT, have been very aggressive trying to pick up Nextel customers. Especially medium and large business customers.

After iDEN customers are migrated to CDMA, or all gone, you will finally see the end of the trend of postpaid subscriber losses.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

When you look at the customer reviews of SDC devices - it isn't all that positive. No roaming and problems reestablishing DC after losing 3G seem to be the biggest complaints.

For a company that tried TWICE to get PTT on CDMA... it's pretty sad to still see customers so unhappy.

When you see iDEN subscribers who have been with sprint for over 10 years leaving:

http://www.howardfor...64#post14785964

It's just sad.

Edited by irev210

When you look at the customer reviews of SDC devices - it isn't all that positive. No roaming and problems reestablishing DC after losing 3G seem to be the biggest complaints.

For a company that tried TWICE to get PTT on CDMA... it's pretty sad to still see customers so unhappy.

When you see iDEN subscribers who have been with sprint for over 10 years leaving:

http://www.howardfor...64#post14785964

It's just sad.

Agreed. However, the roaming issue is supposed to be solved very soon. I'm uncertain about the reconnecting after 3G one.

Robert

• 2 months later...

Agreed. However' date=' the roaming issue is supposed to be solved very soon. I'm uncertain about the reconnecting after 3G one.

Robert[/quote']

Already solved as of Monday. SDC over roaming and 1xRTT now available.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-direct-connect-offers-three-150000894.html

Sent from my Acer A200 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Will the iPhone 4s support cdma800 in future updates? I know in the specs it doesn't say it. I've looked everywhere and cant find anything.

No. There is no guarantee even the next iPhone will support CDMA 800.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner