Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

First time posting, long time lurker.

Have had excellent LTE coverage, first on my Nexus 5, now using a Nexus 6, for over a year now. I work at Colorado and Exposition.

For about a week now, I've had issues with the phone connection dropping on LTE, although the icon still will show full or nearly full bars and the LTE symbol. I have to put into airplane mode and back, it'll establish connection, and everything is fine for as long as I'm using the phone. Then I put it in my pocket, pull it out to use again a few minutes later, and the process repeats. If I set the network mode to 3G, it functions normally (i.e. don't have to reset the connection using airplane mode).

I received OTA Marshmallow about 4 weeks ago (first or second day after release) and had no problems previously until 8 days ago. This only occurs at my work location. LTE connection is fine at home (20th and Youngfield) and fine at Children's Hospital (Aurora), Castle Rock Outlet Stores, and downtown (Buell Theatre area) during this last week.

Thanks in advance for any advice on what my problem could be...

If other lte tower connections are working correctly it's most likely just an issue localized to that location. Give it another week or so to resolve itself.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

If it happened after the Marshmallow update, it's possible the radio build changed. The LTE signal will be weaker in your pocket, and now with a new radio update, may not be good enough to keep a weak LTE signal when in your pocket. Thus you fall back to 3G. Taking the phone out of your pocket and then cycling airplane mode forces a scan for it to get LTE again.

I have to do this all the time on AT&T in weak LTE signal areas when I put my phone in my pocket. It's quite possible the radio update caused your fairly weak LTE signal now to be too weak in some conditions. Like putting in your pocket.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

If it happened after the Marshmallow update, it's possible the radio build changed. The LTE signal will be weaker in your pocket, and now with a new radio update, may not be good enough to keep a weak LTE signal when in your pocket. Thus you fall back to 3G. Taking the phone out of your pocket and then cycling airplane mode forces a scan for it to get LTE again.

I have to do this all the time on AT&T in weak LTE signal areas when I put my phone in my pocket. It's quite possible the radio update caused your fairly weak LTE signal now to be too weak in some conditions. Like putting in your pocket.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

It never falls back to 3G, though.  It looks connected but it is not.  When I do cycle, a flurry of texts, missed call notifications, updates, scores, etc. comes through with it.  I *wish* it'd fallback, if it did, I'd probably still be lurking  :)  

Thanks for the replies, both Marshmallow update and/or tower issues seem plausible.

I'm up in Loveland and just noticed a 2 by B25 and was wondering what thats about? Thanks for any info.

"Added indicators for Sprint LTE band 25 and most second carriers (labeled with ²)."

As in Carrier Aggregation.

Edited by tarnott

"Added indicators for Sprint LTE band 25 and most second carriers (labeled with ²)."

As in Carrier Aggregation.

Nope.  The superscript "2" indicates a second carrier in that band.  It has no explicit relevance to carrier aggregation.

AJ

• Like 2

Here are 2 more photos I took today. If it's just another carrier in that band why is it just now showing up and who is it or am I completely confused as to what was meant by "a second carrier in that band"? It never showed before unless that was one of the recent app updates.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-BP_JVn6T1MZnFLN0JOTERPdmc/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-BP_JVn6T1MaExtNDV2LUo0eHc/view?usp=docslist_api

Edited by KDKobes

In Loveland, CO (I assume), Larimer County, Sprint is licensed the entire PCS A block 1850-1865 MHz. 

EARFCN 26165 is the center frequency of a new LTE carrier located at 1862.5 MHz with it being 5x5 MHz in width from 1860-1865 MHz.  

B25² is an indication that the carrier GCI information indicates a 2nd Band 25 carrier. So in that area there is now 2 Band 25 PCS 1900 LTE carrier located at A block and G block. 

Here are 2 more photos I took today. If it's just another carrier in that band why is it just now showing up and who is it or am I completely confused as to what was meant by "a second carrier in that band"? It never showed before unless that was one of the recent app updates.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-BP_JVn6T1MZnFLN0JOTERPdmc/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-BP_JVn6T1MaExtNDV2LUo0eHc/view?usp=docslist_api

It is a new carrier within Band 25. It is just showing up now because Sprint had to clear CDMA usage from the spectrum before they could deploy LTE. Now you have 2 Band 25 carriers (5x5) and a Band 26 carrier (5x5). And where B41 has been deployed, 2x20!

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am Jim. I live in Green Valley Ranch near I 70 and Tower.

I am pretty new to all of this having got a Mingle to use on Freedompop a few months ago. Since then I also picked up a LG Tribute Duo for use on RingPlus. I have the Leo 4 plan with 1400/1400/1200 and free tethering, the usual 1 gig free on Freedompop.

Here both devices get 0-1 bar of signal with LTE and the 3G coverage is strong. Speed test are pretty low but pages load acceptably except for photobucket. So here I tend to use my Cricket phone as the coverage and speed is better,

That advantage leaves as soon as we leave the house which is technically outside of Sprints LTE coverage by a half a block. Once on the road the Sprint signal jumps to at least 50% and higher meaning speed test from 12-23 download so far. I know the Mingle isn't the fastest but I am learning of bands and such.

I will be getting a T-Mobile hotspot here soon that I will be able to compare speeds with around town. The reason I have the different low cost solutions is for when we are on the road in the RV. Having multiple carriers will give us the best chance to gain a connection. Combined they will be 17 gigs a month plus Binge on and that's more than enough for us.

So besides learning bout the bands and such, I am also interested in coverage in the mountains. Where we camp 20 miles outside of Jefferson at 10.000 ft get TnT all day on AT&T but Data only in the mornings. So far the coverage maps for Sprint and T-mobile are zilch in those areas.

So I will learn how to find out what bands I am using and try resetting near the towers to get better. I know the Mingle isn't capable of the highest speed and replacing it for $169 just to get them is not going to happen. One more day of testing and I will have to let the Sprint devices sit as I have already burned through half their allotments for the month.

As for the speeds you all are posting, holy cow batman.

Edited by jimindenver
  • Like 1

To add

King Soopers at 9th and Corona. Mingle 33+ download, 16+ up, ping 78. Best down with LG Tribute Duo 27+.

KFC at Chambers and I 70 was the opposite. The Duo peaked out just above 27 down/ 16 up and the mingle was running 17 down. In either case I won't notice the difference for my needs and am glad to see the R+ and FP accounts are not throttled. Also while the Duo is newer, the Mingle was advertised as Sprints first Spark enabled hotspot and not as limited as I first thought.

In any event, all this speed testing has burnt though the data on the two plans so it'll be a while before I can do more.

To add

King Soopers at 9th and Corona. Mingle 33+ download, 16+ up, ping 78. Best down with LG Tribute Duo 27+.

KFC at Chambers and I 70 was the opposite. The Duo peaked out just above 27 down/ 16 up and the mingle was running 17 down. In either case I won't notice the difference for my needs and am glad to see the R+ and FP accounts are not throttled. Also while the Duo is newer, the Mingle was advertised as Sprints first Spark enabled hotspot and not as limited as I first thought.

In any event, all this speed testing has burnt though the data on the two plans so it'll be a while before I can do more.

you probably see faster speeds with a CA supported hotspot.  

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys,

My first post so go easy on me lol...... Anyhow I've been a lurker on S4GRU for many years going back to at least 2012 I think (don't quote me on that)?

A little backstory, had 2 lines on Sprint from 2009-2012. Started off with the HTC Evo 4g (good ol Wimax), then went to the Palm Pre and my wife had the Palm Pixie. Anyhow I was pretty satisfied with the service back then minus the slow speeds through Wimax and EVDO and then the whole Network Vision thing came along and..... well everybody knows how that went when it started and the length of time it took to rip and replace the network and get up to par with the other carriers in certain aspects of their networks and the whole Softbank buyout and the firing of Dan Hesse.

We then went to T-Mobile for a year or so and the speeds were great in 2013 when the whole uncarrier thing started but the quality of the calls and dropped calls were inferior to Sprints service back then, so we lasted only about a year with T-Mobile and went to AT&T for a couple years. The experience on AT&T wasn't bad per se but their speeds in Denver we awfully slow compared to T-Mobile and were getting kind of expensive to boot.

So we went back to T-Mobile back in November (3 months ago) and thought that with the deployment of Band 12 and some network modernization that the experience with them would be different than what it was back in 2013. Our experience these last couple of months have been mixed to say the least, they are no longer blazing quick like they were a few years ago, I don't know if it's because of congestion on the network now that they have added so many more subs (nationwide 20+ million) these past couple years and taking over 3rd nationally but their network has been slow and I have dropped numerous calls with them lately. It has definitely been more dropped calls than AT&T but the speeds seem to be on par with AT&T here in Denver from my experience?

We getting a pretty good deal with them now with 2 lines for $100 10 GB per line, unlimited data stash for a year and a free tablet that we pay $10 Mo for 5 GB of data and that line has Binge On activated for our kids and Netflix. So they haven't burned through the allotted 5 GB with Binge On which has been kind of nice for sure!

Saying all that I have been disappointed with signal strength/speeds/dropped calls etc........ So I have been thinking of switching back to Sprint for the first time in about 4 years! With the 50% off special they are running and the banners all over town saying that they have the fastest speeds in Denver per the Neilson data I was thinking of switching over but wanted to ask you guys your personal expertise with the NEW Sprint network in the Denver metropolitan area??

The only negative I see switching over is that we won't have the ability to swap out phones like you can on T-Mobile with Jump on Demand (3 upgrades per year, just turn in your phone and start another payment with another phone). From what they are saying in the store I can only upgrade once every 12 months but have to pay an extra $5 per line to do so?? Is that true? Also the data plans on their (Sprints) tablets are definitely more expensive than what T-Mobile has us at right now (5 GB tablet W/ Binge On included).

Sorry for the long winded first post guys but wanted to give a little background story and explain my thoughts on potentially switching over to Sprint to save some $$??

Thx :)

Sorry for the long winded first post guys but wanted to give a little background story and explain my thoughts on potentially switching over to Sprint to save some $$??

Thx :)

Its not just about saving money..

Sprint is pretty awesome in Denver..

http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/denver-co/2015/2H

Thanks for the link!

Maybe I should've said that we are looking into the financial aspect of saving $$ and also improving on our network experience here in Denver over T-Mobile currently.

Edited by MileHI38

Thanks for the link!

Maybe I should've said that we are looking into the financial aspect of saving $$ and also improving on our network experience here in Denver over T-Mobile currently.

I don't really keep up on all the latest promotions, or the upgrade fees as I just buy my devices outright in store or online. However, I can tell you that on my last trip to Colorado, the service in Denver was very good. If it will save you money, I say go for it.

Where the full 2xCA is available, speeds were regularly in the 50-100Mbps range. Elsewhere speeds were generally in the 10-40Mbps range. At Colorado Mills mall (if you're ever in that area, otherwise just an example of a congested area) around 6pm I still had speeds around 15Mbps.

Sprint will definitely save us money for sure with that 1/2 off promotion! I appreciate the feedback on the speeds here in Denver on your last trip, yea Colorado Mills is about 30 miles from me, I'm on the northern end of town in Thornton/Brighton area. If those are the speeds when it's congested 15 Mbps that's pretty good.

Question for you:

Is the Denver market 100% complete on all sites? Or is there some sites left that haven't had backhaul upgraded or ran to?

Sprint will definitely save us money for sure with that 1/2 off promotion! I appreciate the feedback on the speeds here in Denver on your last trip, yea Colorado Mills is about 30 miles from me, I'm on the northern end of town in Thornton/Brighton area. If those are the speeds when it's congested 15 Mbps that's pretty good.

Question for you:

Is the Denver market 100% complete on all sites? Or is there some sites left that haven't had backhaul upgraded or ran to?

The Denver metro area is probably 95-99% completed with NV 1.0 (new equipment and B25/B26). The Band 41 deployment is a little more scattered, but is fairly filled out. I don't really have a good percentage estimate on that. Even a weak B41 signal with CA can give you better throughput than a moderate to strong but burdened B25/26 signal. 

I know we have some Brighton/Thornton residents that participate, though the participation rate has dropped off a bit lately since things have gotten much better than a couple years ago ;)

We do have a map of all Sprint sites and their relatively current LTE status in the sponsor section. If you feel so inclined, a donation to help the site stay afloat will give you access to that. I have a Colorado market specific map in the spnosor section that I try to keep updated (fallen a few months behind lately) that you can find at this link: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5624-colorado-nv-maps-and-discussion/