Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

Sorry if this is wrong thread but had a quick question. The tower I hit is still 3g but when I was logged into the sprint web site and check coverage it says my area is lte. I noticed the coverage map recently changed but obviously it's no accurate. Does anyone know why this is? I was thinking an update was coming but it's been like this at least a couple weeks.

Thanks

The coverage map is overly optimistic. That's about all there is to it.

It has finally happened! The first site in Pueblo is officially LTE accepted. We've had a report of LTE in the area, but now we know exactly which site is online! Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

Sponsors can see exactly what I'm talking about here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5624-colorado-nv-maps-and-discussion/page-182?p=383452&do=findComment&comment=383452

Sorry if this is wrong thread but had a quick question. The tower I hit is still 3g but when I was logged into the sprint web site and check coverage it says my area is lte. I noticed the coverage map recently changed but obviously it's no accurate. Does anyone know why this is? I was thinking an update was coming but it's been like this at least a couple weeks.

Thanks

Because of the rules of this forum we can't talk about any specific tower info except in the sponsor forum. I will say that from looking at the sponsor maps it appears that the Denver Metro area towers are about 75% LTE. There are a few areas that are still mostly 3G, Notably, the US36 corridor between Denver and Boulder is only about 25% LTE, Highland Ranch and Englewood are about %50 LTE, The Southwest edge (Morrison area) hasn't been touched with LTE yet. And I70 west into the mountains has barely begun. There are also a few towers in Denver that are still waiting on the upgrade. As has been mentioned earlier, all the towers in Colorado have been upgraded to 3G and are ready to have LTE turned on, but until the fiber backhaul to the tower is ready Sprint won't turn on LTE. (No point in turning on LTE at a tower if the backhaul cant handle the data.

If you want to see specific tower information, you need to become a sponsor.

Because of the rules of this forum we can't talk about any specific tower info except in the sponsor forum. I will say that from looking at the sponsor maps it appears that the Denver Metro area towers are about 75% LTE. There are a few areas that are still mostly 3G, Notably, the US36 corridor between Denver and Boulder is only about 25% LTE, Highland Ranch and Englewood are about %50 LTE, The Southwest edge (Morrison area) hasn't been touched with LTE yet. And I70 west into the mountains has barely begun. There are also a few towers in Denver that are still waiting on the upgrade. As has been mentioned earlier, all the towers in Colorado have been upgraded to 3G and are ready to have LTE turned on, but until the fiber backhaul to the tower is ready Sprint won't turn on LTE. (No point in turning on LTE at a tower if the backhaul cant handle the data.

If you want to see specific tower information, you need to become a sponsor.

He is/has been a Sponsor...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not impossible but expensive. It looks like a long run that goes up several hundred feet in elevation in an already developed subdivision.

Then fiber it will probably be. Price isn't as much of a factor as it used to be now with Softbank and Marcelo. 

Sprint doesn't own any towers.

Okay, so is there a certain set of circumstances that would make whoever makes those decisions, decide not to go with fiber? The reason I ask is there are several towers in my area that run fairly close to main fiber runs that use microwave instead of fiber.

Okay, so is there a certain set of circumstances that would make whoever makes those decisions, decide not to go with fiber? The reason I ask is there are several towers in my area that run fairly close to main fiber runs that use microwave instead of fiber.

Yes, but I don't know what they are. A flagpole site likely isn't compatible with microwave.

A site may be close to a fiber ring, but unless that ring is accessible by the contracted company, it still could have been a year estimate for fiber to be delivered. Microwave is chosen when it's significantly faster than fiber. However, fiber is still prefered, and microwave is slowly being transitioned to fiber where possible.

Are you certain these are Sprint sites connected to microwave, or old Clearwire sites? Most Clear sites went with microwave because it was cheaper. Many are co-located with Sprint, but Sprint isn't using the microwave connection.

Yes, but I don't know what they are. A flagpole site likely isn't compatible with microwave.

A site may be close to a fiber ring, but unless that ring is accessible by the contracted company, it still could have been a year estimate for fiber to be delivered. Microwave is chosen when it's significantly faster than fiber. However, fiber is still prefered, and microwave is slowly being transitioned to fiber where possible.

Are you certain these are Sprint sites connected to microwave, or old Clearwire sites? Most Clear sites went with microwave because it was cheaper. Many are co-located with Sprint, but Sprint isn't using the microwave connection.

Well the evidence that I've found points me that way. But I know very little of this mobile world to say with any degree of authority.

What I've found is a specific tower that hosts other providers along with Sprint. I don't believe it was a clearwire site previously but that's mostly based on fcc records. The fiber contractor that ran fiber to other towers in the area, including one up the street that is just as close to the fiber trunk, shows that it laid no fiber for this tower.

Per the fcc website, this tower has microwave antennas that are owned by a company that provides microwave backhaul.

This tower went live around the same time that the other towers in the area went live.

Do carriers that are on the same tower ever share microwave backhaul connections?

Do carriers that are on the same tower ever share microwave backhaul connections?

Generally no. They don't really share anything other than the tower. A fiber company may pull multiple strands of fiber when they install for one company, but the extra strands are dark until another carrier request them. So even then they're not really sharing that connection. 

If you can get pictures of the towers, we can identify if Sprint or Clear equipment is present. 

I got some nice results over the weekend; I had LTE wherever I went (a mix of b25 and b26, my phone doesn't seem to like b41 but my wife's phone connects to b41 here and there. The speed tests below were at the parade of lights and the Broncos game, respectively. I think these speeds are pretty darn good given all the people around. Even the one slow result at the game yesterday was a huge improvement over the pre NV experience at Mile High. All I really want to do from the game is send text messages and get on Facebook without killing my battery and I had more than enough speed for that throughout the game.

uploadfromtaptalk1418081630803.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So did upgrades stop ? I live in highlands ranch and i get lte upstars but 3g down stars.

Upgrades are definitely continuing. I would recommend calling Sprint tech support and letting them know the details of the problems you're having. There are a few things that could cause what you're describing, and they can either fix the problem or at least set the right expectations. It's possible that the nearest tower hasn't received any LTE upgrades, and the LTE from another tower is reaching you upstairs but not downstairs, or that you're in an area where you won't get B25 LTE downstairs, but B26 would reach you just fine. In those scenarios it just depends on when the relevant upgrade happens in your area. It's also possible that the equipment installed in your area is capable of getting to you downstairs, but the network needs to be tuned in order to do so. Any time you call tech support to report network problems it helps with the tuning process because the problem location is recorded in a system that's used to identity problem areas (that's regardless of whether or not a ticket is opened when you call).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As of today DIA (Denver International Airport) finally has LTE. Although speeds suck at the moment hopefully it will get better. (1-8mbps) possibly just testing but No 2.5Ghz yet. Would be VERY unintelligent to not add 2.5Ghz to that area especially with rootmetrics making a stop soon and it being only the 5th largest in the US as far as foot traffic.

As of today DIA (Denver International Airport) finally has LTE. Although speeds suck at the moment hopefully it will get better. (1-8mbps) possibly just testing but No 2.5Ghz yet. Would be VERY unintelligent to not add 2.5Ghz to that area especially with rootmetrics making a stop soon and it being only the 5th largest in the US as far as foot traffic.

All that is coming, airports seem to be the last in any market to see upgrades. Must be difficult to get approval to get equipment, workers etc. in there.

All that is coming, airports seem to be the last in any market to see upgrades. Must be difficult to get approval to get equipment, workers etc. in there.

Yes I actually talked to technician. I guess there is extra permits and government bureaucracy....go figure

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...