Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

Yes I was being one. But we have been told "coming months" for a year and a half. I check the sponsors section and some of the "in progress" sites have been in progress for a year. If you called a plumber and he said he would be there in a couple days and it's now two weeks later and the only information you get is he will be there in a couple days. You too would get a little annoyed.

Since this NV update,I have no service at my house in Broomfield and had to get a T-Mobile phone for work.

If a plumber did that to me I'd find another plumber.  :td:

• Like 2

Yes I was being one. But we have been told "coming months" for a year and a half. I check the sponsors section and some of the "in progress" sites have been in progress for a year. If you called a plumber and he said he would be there in a couple days and it's now two weeks later and the only information you get is he will be there in a couple days. You too would get a little annoyed.

Since this NV update,I have no service at my house in Broomfield and had to get a T-Mobile phone for work.

Oh I'm absolutely with you. I get that there are many different challenges with a roll out like this but being in a market as big as Denver and having such little progress is very frfrustrating.

Regardless of how strategically relevant or logistically prohibitive or other reasons for the slow pace to our market it does suck something fierce.

• Like 1

Some whispers from the higher ups...

This is intentionally being slowed down to avoid the very rough start that other Samsung markets have "enjoyed".

Early 2014. Keep hope, friends.

So basically the actual process isn't being slowed, but rollout is? Basically they want to just flip the switch and the whole state goes live at the same time essentially?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

So basically the actual process isn't being slowed, but rollout is? Basically they want to just flip the switch and the whole state goes live at the same time essentially?

To me, an "all at once" turn on seems like a much more likely way to implode the network instead of a piece by piece approach, but I'm not privy to the technical details of what goes on behind the scenes. 

edit: I'm now sorta-kinda privy to the behind the scenes now that I read the blog entry about the issues with the tri-band devices. That makes a little more sense now. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

To me, an "all at once" turn on seems like a much more likely way to implode the network instead of a piece by piece approach, but I'm not privy to the technical details of what goes on behind the scenes. 

edit: I'm now sorta-kinda privy to the behind the scenes now that I read the blog entry about the issues with the tri-band devices. That makes a little more sense now. 

It probably won't be all at once, they will focus on getting 3G up first to help mitigate the Tri-Band issue. It will be in waves, but still move pretty quickly. If 4G is ready as well, that will come along for the ride. 

So yes, acceptances have come to a standstill, but the installation of equipment continues. This should result in a better end user experience once acceptances start.

• Like 1

It probably won't be all at once, they will focus on getting 3G up first to help mitigate the Tri-Band issue. It will be in waves, but still move pretty quickly. If 4G is ready as well, that will come along for the ride. 

So yes, acceptances have come to a standstill, but the installation of equipment continues. This should result in a better end user experience once acceptances start.

This.

And the equipment roll out is nearly done. Acceptance phase is fast approaching and will move slow-ish. The acceptance of a site takes a bit of work. Vendor, Sprint, installer, and Ericsson all have to be on site at the same time to sign off on a rather large checklist. Takes about 2-3 hours per site if everything goes smoothly. At most 3-4 sites could go live per day. Acceptance is on hold until back-haul catches up.

• Like 1

This.

And the equipment roll out is nearly done. Acceptance phase is fast approaching and will move slow-ish. The acceptance of a site takes a bit of work. Vendor, Sprint, installer, and Ericsson all have to be on site at the same time to sign off on a rather large checklist. Takes about 2-3 hours per site if everything goes smoothly. At most 3-4 sites could go live per day. Acceptance is on hold until back-haul catches up.

As I look at the secret sponsor only maps it shows one quadrant of the Denver metro area that is virtually untouched by any work in progress. So I hope that the equipment is not nearly done.

That map is almost beyond repair. Very outdated. You will be fine. Equipment rollout is very much nearing completion in Denver.

That's very good news. I guess I could have guessed that since I noticed a new antenna install in downtown Louisville that never showed up on the map.

False alarm/hopes speeds are back to their usual garbage all across town. 20-50Kbps up and down, sad face.

What I meant was that you are running on the VN equipment. If you experienced the speeds like you did it means either 1) you were the only person connected and pulling data on that site but the site is still running garbage T1s, or 2) the site has its fiber connection and was either being tested or wasn't being used very much by anyone else but you. Also, the switch side speeds are being throttled down until the full network is ready, this id to prevent some serious issues with the network as they move from the old switches to the new ones. 

Have no fear, Grand Junction is going live very soon. But know that you really only have one tech out on the entire western slope taking care of business, so they try not to kill him by bringing all the sites up to speed at the same damn time. 

• Like 1

What I meant was that you are running on the VN equipment. If you experienced the speeds like you did it means either 1) you were the only person connected and pulling data on that site but the site is still running garbage T1s, or 2) the site has its fiber connection and was either being tested or wasn't being used very much by anyone else but you. Also, the switch side speeds are being throttled down until the full network is ready, this id to prevent some serious issues with the network as they move from the old switches to the new ones.

Have no fear, Grand Junction is going live very soon. But know that you really only have one tech out on the entire western slope taking care of business, so they try not to kill him by bringing all the sites up to speed at the same damn time.

Well, so far it seems that I may be damn near the only person on that tower before 7am, the rest of the day it slows down. I know plenty of people that have left Sprint for Verizon or AT&T, at this rate I may be the only person left on the network. Moar bandwidth for me!?!?!
  • Like 1

Do you guys know if WiMAX is still up and running here in the Denver area? I'm thinking of getting an evo or s2 so I can deal with these horrible data speeds until the nv build out is done.

Yes the WiMAX network is still up and running. I have a friend who I carpool with and uses it daily.

Sent from my iPhone 5s 32GB using Tapatalk

Yes the WiMAX network is still up and running. I have a friend who I carpool with and uses it daily.

What kind of speeds does he get with wimax? I had an evo but never even tried using wimax because it drained my battery so fast.

Do you guys know if WiMAX is still up and running here in the Denver area? I'm thinking of getting an evo or s2 so I can deal with these horrible data speeds until the nv build out is done.

I borrow my daughters S2 so I can use the WIMAX 4G to watch movies while on the stair Climber at the gym.  My Galaxy S4 only gets .22 MBPS there.  I miss the WIMAX network. 

Depending on location he averages around 4-6 Mbps down.

Now I could live with that...I might have to break down and get an s2 even though I think samsung is the devil just so I can get some work done. Its gotten to where I cant even download attachments for work unless Im on wifi using my g2 or iphone.