Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

On 8/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, rockinmusicgv said:

Is there any indication of when in September people will be able to opt into the VoLTE beta?  Not sure if I'll be able to wait until Sept 30!

There will probably be a press release of some sort, followed by a carrier update on your device. Then, the feature should show up to be toggled on/off. 

• 1 month later...

Well I received this email a few minutes ago...

Dear Valued Sprint Customer, 

Our records indicate your account is using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (Beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call. Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (Beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device/s beginning September 29th, 2018.  

Here are your options for the system update: 

• Accept the system update – it will permanently remove LTE Calling (Beta) from your device. Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update – LTE Calling (Beta) service will remain active. You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimizations until you accept the system update. 

We encourage you to contact your Sprint Business Support Representative below to ask questions or share any concerns you may have. Thank you for the opportunity to be your wireless provider. 

Sincerely, 

Sprint Business 

• Like 3

Our records indicate your account is using Calling PLUS, a service that combines Sprint's LTE Calling (Beta) with Wi-Fi Calling to enable simultaneous voice and data usage during a call. Due to recent network upgrades, we are formally notifying you that LTE Calling (Beta) will be decommissioned via a system update that will be sent to your device/s beginning September 29th, 2018.  

• Accept the system update – it will permanently remove LTE Calling (Beta) from your device. Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection.
  • Disregard the system update – LTE Calling (Beta) service will remain active. You will be unable to take advantage of the network optimizations until you accept the system update. 
We encourage you to contact your Sprint Business Support Representative below to ask questions or share any concerns you may have. Thank you for the opportunity to be your wireless provider. 

Sincerely, 

Sprint Business 
Does this mean VOLTE will be live on the 29th?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I doubt it would be available the same day, but this is probably a big prerequisite.
Well they said it would in September and September is almost over

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grapkoski said:

Sincerely, 

Sprint Business 

I just got a text from Sprint, sending me to a website that says the same thing.

I'm excited to see a list of compatible devices. iPhones will be easy via a carrier update, but it seems Android devices will need system updates pushed. 
My S8 gets VOLTE this TMO and vzw including there prepaid, so it better on the Sprint network

I'm enjoying VoLTE on T-mo prepaid as well - very nice and I might be joining my fiancè's Framily plan once Sprint rolls it out. Didn't realize how nice it is to browse while on speakerphone after having Sprint for ten years. 

I find it odd that the overall vibe of the letter above is negative - it doesn't state that an alternative is rolling out that will be superior to Calling Plus. This might anger a lot of people that don't know that VoLTE is coming. Seems like it could have been written better to avoid angry customer service calls. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, burnout8488 said:

I'm enjoying VoLTE on T-mo prepaid as well - very nice and I might be joining my fiancè's Framily plan once Sprint rolls it out. Didn't realize how nice it is to browse while on speakerphone after having Sprint for ten years. 

I find it odd that the overall vibe of the letter above is negative - it doesn't state that an alternative is rolling out that will be superior to Calling Plus. This might anger a lot of people that don't know that VoLTE is coming. Seems like it could have been written better to avoid angry customer service calls. 

Totally agree with your vibe statement.  FYI I was born and raised in endwell lol 

• Like 1

Sprint isnt doing themselves any favors with that post. People are already complaining thinking there iPhones don't support it when they really do. Same for the note 8 and 9. S9/plus

I'm excited to see a list of compatible devices. iPhones will be easy via a carrier update, but it seems Android devices will need system updates pushed. 

Any Android device running Marshmallow and above does not need a system update. Sprint can push out the config with an app in the Play Store that is signed by the same cryptographic certificate that's used to sign the SIM card. https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/carrier 

Now whether or not Sprint decides to do this is another story...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

and nows its oct no soft launch in sept [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That's Sprint for you. All talk to action. Is anyone actually able to use VOLTE? Doesn't seem like it. They posted on Twitter what looked like it was only the Galaxy S8.

• Like 1

That's Sprint for you. All talk to action. Is anyone actually able to use VOLTE? Doesn't seem like it. They posted on Twitter what looked like it was only the Galaxy S8.  

Yes, s8 will be first of many devices....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

and nows its oct no soft launch in sept [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I guess VOLTE has been delayed later fall now. Updates for it are happening tho

If later fall means in a week or two then yes.

I guess VOLTE has been delayed later fall now. Updates for it are happening tho

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 10:50 AM, Tengen31 said:

My S8 gets VOLTE this TMO and vzw including there prepaid, so it better on the Sprint network

I have no doubt Sprint will restrict devices in the same way AT&T does when it comes to VoLTE use. Sprint is by far the most restrictive carrier when it comes to devices, even if it is a fully compatible device...