Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

4 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

I live in Central Atlanta and though I don't have volte on my Galaxy S9+ I do have calling plus and I absolutely cannot stand it. CDMA has much further range and never drops and is completely clear. VoLTE depends (obviously) on an extremely robust LTE network which - even in Atlanta - just doesn't exist. Yes it's a strong LTE showing for Sprint here but look at my words. It's really good but it is not what I would call "extremely robust." I cannot see any advantage to using it and am quick to toggle calling plus off anytime I accidentally toggle it on. 

Crazy to hear its not so grand where you are.  I can not remember falling back to 3G lately at all on the north end of Midtown.  Only issues I have had are between stations underground on the MARTA.  Other than that, I had no issues between the north side of Midtown and where Gus' Fried Chicken is (which I may have visited twice last week lol.)

VoLTE is now live in the Central Illinois market. 

Now if we could only use TMobiles VOLTE. I was TMobile roaming in a area of Minnesota. Only had data at times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Now if we could only use TMobiles VOLTE. I was TMobile roaming in a area of Minnesota. Only had data at times.

You should be able to fall back to Verizon/Sprint/USCC/other regional carriers’ 1x for voice...

You should be able to fall back to Verizon/Sprint/USCC/other regional carriers’ 1x for voice...

It did on Sprints but it didn't always stay connected. Never saw VZW. Uscc isn't in MN

5 hours ago, shaferz said:

Crazy to hear its not so grand where you are.  I can not remember falling back to 3G lately at all on the north end of Midtown.  Only issues I have had are between stations underground on the MARTA.  Other than that, I had no issues between the north side of Midtown and where Gus' Fried Chicken is (which I may have visited twice last week lol.)

It's not a fallback to 3G so much as it is completely useless band 26. This results in a horrendous VoLTE calling experience between the islands of nearly 300mbps data speeds on those massive mimo equipped towers/cells. In between? Yikes.

25 minutes ago, JonnygATL said:

It's not a fallback to 3G so much as it is completely useless band 26. This results in a horrendous VoLTE calling experience between the islands of nearly 300mbps data speeds on those massive mimo equipped towers/cells. In between? Yikes.

VoLTE will always work fine as long as RF conditions are sufficient for a 12.65kbps data session. QoS takes congestion out of the equation. Your experience on Calling Plus is not at all indicative of the experience on VoLTE. 

To give a personal example, Calling Plus never worked at football games for one of my friends but VoLTE has no issues at all. 

• Like 4

Oh God I really hope you're right. Calling plus was a cute experiment but, uh, I would hope that isn't representative of what the true VoLTE experience is like. From what you're saying it isn't. Any idea when the S9+ will get VoLTE support?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Oh God I really hope you're right. Calling plus was a cute experiment but, uh, I would hope that isn't representative of what the true VoLTE experience is like. From what you're saying it isn't. Any idea when the S9+ will get VoLTE support?

Yeah—I’m surprised they even tested Calling Plus publicly. 

I’m not sure what the S9/S9+ will get VoLTE, but I *think* I heard somewhere that the next Android update brings VoLTE to all ISIM devices. Definitely don’t quote me on that though.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2018 at 9:55 PM, RAvirani said:

Yeah—I’m surprised they even tested Calling Plus publicly. 

I’m not sure what the S9/S9+ will get VoLTE, but I *think* I heard somewhere that the next Android update brings VoLTE to all ISIM devices. Definitely don’t quote me on that though.

December / January time frame for many devices is what was going around last I heard. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 6:12 PM, lilotimz said:

December / January time frame for many devices is what was going around last I heard. 

I hope so. My S8 when out of me so I got the S9 plus. I loved the VOLTE I had on the S8 which I don't get (yet) on the S9.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, superbluepsd said:

Lilotimz any further word on VOLTE update timeline for Galaxy S9 and other flagship phones?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No estimates at this time. Just straight up "no" as recent answers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, imex99 said:

Who has used VOLTE and what device are you using?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have used it here.  Galaxy S8.  (At least until my GS10 gets here!) 

It's not working today though.

5 hours ago, clbowens said:

Does anyone in the Cleveland area still have VoLTE?  Mine disappeared last night.

Having the same issue here in the Minnesota market.  It's been going in and out for the past week or so, just randomly showing the VoLTE icon seemingly whenever it wants.  I have an s8.

• Like 1