Sprint VoLTE Discussion Thread Redux

I have no doubt Sprint will restrict devices in the same way AT&T does when it comes to VoLTE use. Sprint is by far the most restrictive carrier when it comes to devices, even if it is a fully compatible device...
I got the update on my S8 I'm on Boost so at first the VOLTE option was blocked once I restarted my phone the option disappeared. So only ( as of now) boost customers can't talk and surf. My phone can do it on all other carriers including att just H+

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anybody know how quickly (or slowly) other markets will get added to VoLTE? I thought the Shentel market would be high on the list but it seems we didn't make the initial cut. 

I use calling plus at times and hate to update my phone to lose that capability until VoLTE is available. I also hate to hold off and not do the security updates that come with the system updates. I'm pretty much caught in the middle. 

On 10/3/2018 at 3:32 AM, david279 said:

Something different after this update. 312530...8b1f110da91938eaeeb14ee67b90b491.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm starting to see that for the PLMN number also.

• Like 1

Just now, nowerlater said:

My airave LTE has changed to that also

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Something that's interesting, when I do a network search on my essential phone, 312-530 shows up as an option, but it is "forbidden" and I can't connect to it. I wonder if anyone knows what that's about.

• Like 2

Very exiting...the latest note 9 Android 9.0 beta (see xda for the news and links) has volte working by default (presumably enabled after I enabled wifi calling???)... I can make AND receive calls while using data!!! Couldn't do that on Oreo 8.1...anyone else try it out yet????

• Like 2

Just something to try for those of us not in the VoLTE markets...

I just started a call on Wifi calling and then turned off wifi. The call then switched to a VoLTE call. The icon appeared in at the top of the phone. I think there's a name for this, but it's escaping me at the moment. 

Anyway, it's a start for us I guess. 

This was in the Shentel market. It may not work everywhere. 

• Like 1

That's voice call continuity. It has been a thing for a while.
True, but this is the first I've seen it work with VoLTE. It worked with calling plus prior. It was just nice to see it working now with VoLTE. A made a test call of about 5 minutes where I transitioned towers, so it seems to be working well. There were no cutouts or anything either. It worked really well.

True, but this is the first I've seen it work with VoLTE. It worked with calling plus prior. It was just nice to see it working now with VoLTE. A made a test call of about 5 minutes where I transitioned towers, so it seems to be working well. There were no cutouts or anything either. It worked really well.

It's possible that it's basically Calling+. In other words, it maintains the data connection, but there is no QoS. It depends if Shentel has implemented it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, ingenium said:

It's possible that it's basically Calling+. In other words, it maintains the data connection, but there is no QoS. It depends if Shentel has implemented it yet.

I suppose that is possible. It displayed the icon, but it's possible it wasn't actually VoLTE. I will say there were no stutters or anything on the call I did and it sounded good. I tend to be a glass half full person, so hopefully Shentel has it already implemented and maybe it won't be long until they turn it on here. 

One can hope at least. 

• Like 3

VoLTE JUST when live here in Cleveland.  I mean just!  SCP also no longer shows an active 1x/3G connection.
How's it working? What phone are you using?

Just went live now in minneapolis as well. Doesn't appear to support my airave 4g lte though. If I get far enough away from my airave, I see the icon and the 1x drop off. I'm on an s8.

• Like 5

Just went live now in minneapolis as well. Doesn't appear to support my airave 4g lte though. If I get far enough away from my airave, I see the icon and the 1x drop off. I'm on an s8. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I could see that making sense... The assumption is that an Airave is used where you have a very poor or no signal. So the likelihood of a handoff when you get outside of Airave coverage is better on 1x.   

I'm assuming if you start a VoLTE call outside of Airave coverage and then walk back into coverage, it will handoff and maintain the VoLTE call.

• Like 1