Galaxy S9 Series user thread

SturgeonGeneral

30 minutes ago, JThorson said:

Just curious, has anyone heard of any negative reviews for the S9? I want to get this phone but since having an issue with the S7(which I know is an older device) I'm a little weary.

I've had my 9+ for a week now, haven't run across anything and haven't heard about anything.

1 hour ago, JThorson said:

Just curious, has anyone heard of any negative reviews for the S9? I want to get this phone but since having an issue with the S7(which I know is an older device) I'm a little weary.

The negative reviews are only in comparison to S8, which is kind of true in that the changes are mostly just under the hood.  S9 is like a "S" release for Apple, compared to S8.  But comparing to S7, everyone I have read says that it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Personally, coming from S8+, I feel that my S9+ is an incremental upgrade - screen is slightly brighter, cameras are better, system is overall faster (time will tell).  Battery life is about the same as S8+, so is the overall feel of the phone.

Comparing to S7, you will feel a huge difference in both performance, functionality and form factor.   I think you should do it - Get the ultimate bundle with S9+ with Unidays for $876.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11373547-99-ultimate-bundle-unlocked-samsung-galaxy-s9-665-99-or-s9-776-99-with-epp-or-edu-discount

Edited by DM98

The only slight negatives I've read about or seen in videos so far is that one, battery life is just the same as the GS8 & GS8+ and two, the cameras are still not as good as the Pixel 2's.

I'm upgrading from a GS8+ & I feel the update is incremental and there is nothing "wow" about the phone. I like the FPS a lot better though. Easier to hit & way, way faster.

I wasn't gonna upgrade originally but did so b/c there was a $300 trade-in for my old GS7E that my mom was using & she wanted a better phone. Plus, I had lots of credit card & Best Buy points that brought down the cost of the phone to about $100.

My mom is REALLY happy with the GS8+ & she considers it a huge upgrade coming from the GS7E.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

One of the best things to come from this phone is Intelligent Scan. As someone that wears glasses, the iris scanner was always finicky for me on the GS8+ and would only work if I opened up my eyes all the way. Intelligent scan on the other hand works quickly and accurately even with my glasses on.

One of the best things to come from this phone is Intelligent Scan. As someone that wears glasses, the iris scanner was always finicky for me on the GS8+ and would only work if I opened up my eyes all the way. Intelligent scan on the other hand works quickly and accurately even with my glasses on.
Intelligent scan is insecure. I wouldn't use it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Intelligent scan is insecure. I wouldn't use it.

I don't use it for security reason, I use it for ease of use. For mobile payments and logging into certain apps, I use fingerprint.

• Like 1

I don't use it for security reason, I use it for ease of use. For mobile payments and logging into certain apps, I use fingerprint.
How good is the fingerprint scanner compared to the S8

5 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

How good is the fingerprint scanner compared to the S8

Way more responsive, way less misreads, and easily the fastest setup for a fingerprint scanner on the market. It literally takes 2 seconds to set up a fingerprint.

• Like 1

Way more responsive, way less misreads, and easily the fastest setup for a fingerprint scanner on the market. It literally takes 2 seconds to set up a fingerprint.
Amazing compared to the S8.
QFT. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I know we always pay attention to Band 41 performance but even Band 26 performance is much better for me than my S8+. In a classroom where my S8+ would typically fall down to 1x or heat up while trying to stay on Band 26, my phone is easily holding a weak Band 26 signal while still giving me 7Mbps speeds.

• Like 2

I know we always pay attention to Band 41 performance but even Band 26 performance is much better for me than my S8+. In a classroom where my S8+ would typically fall down to 1x or heat up while trying to stay on Band 26, my phone is easily holding a weak Band 26 signal while still giving me 7Mbps speeds.
Did you ever try the s8+ oreo? It's way better at every band than S8+ nougat.

• Like 1

How's everyone enjoying or not enjoying their GS9s?

I'm enjoying my Unlocked Galaxy S9+ (965U1) so far. It's bloatware-free, I have Calling Plus, WiFi Calling, and even Sprint's Visual Voicemail now.

Battery life is the same as the Unlocked Galaxy S8+ (955U1) but performance is slightly better.

Substratum works really well & I can customize it the same as the GS8+.

Only thing I'm missing is the official Samsung silicone case in white color.

Can you do the hotspot unlock hack?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes. Thru Shortcut Master.

• Like 1

And you have tested it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I briefly tested it the other day using my laptop and it worked. Is the workaround not working for you? I'll try it again later.

4 hours ago, optimummind said:

How's everyone enjoying or not enjoying their GS9s?

I'm enjoying my Unlocked Galaxy S9+ (965U1) so far. It's bloatware-free, I have Calling Plus, WiFi Calling, and even Sprint's Visual Voicemail now.

Battery life is the same as the Unlocked Galaxy S8+ (955U1) but performance is slightly better.

Substratum works really well & I can customize it the same as the GS8+.

Only thing I'm missing is the official Samsung silicone case in white color.

Perfect in a lot of ways, battery life identical to the S8+ perhaps better in some situations. Performance is without a doubt significantly better, same goes for the camera which is amazing. RF performance is identical and sometimes better depends on the day lol, overall a worthy upgrade. Phone is a bit heavier and thicker but I like that, not to mention it's a bit shorter in length so it's easier to use one handed. Overall an amazing device, stereo speakers are a huge upgrade as well they sound good better than my brother in laws iPhone 8 plus.

Edited by BlueAngel