Galaxy S9 Series user thread

SturgeonGeneral

21 minutes ago, imex99 said:

Screen shot, any volte information?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Update came in at under 100mb so I didn't bother look at the details or take a screen cap.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mooeydj said:

I got one.

Screenshot_20181217-050611_Software update.jpg

Thank you, and for whoever asked earlier I will point out that there is no volte in this update.  This might have been rather obvious given the update size but still its always possible.  I guess we keep on keepin on waiting :)

Thank you, and for whoever asked earlier I will point out that there is no volte in this update.  This might have been rather obvious given the update size but still its always possible.  I guess we keep on keepin on waiting [emoji4]
VoLTE shouldn't take up a lot of space. Since Sprint is using the standard implementation now, there's no new software. It's just a text file with a few lines with the config info. Realistically shouldn't take more than a few KB.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, ingenium said:

VoLTE shouldn't take up a lot of space. Since Sprint is using the standard implementation now, there's no new software. It's just a text file with a few lines with the config info. Realistically shouldn't take more than a few KB.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So minus the GUI changes to show volte instead of calling plus, are you saying that the actual implementation to switch over to volte can come in the form of a profile update?  i.e. to change the APN and such? 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, deankelem said:

So minus the GUI changes to show volte instead of calling plus, are you saying that the actual implementation to switch over to volte can come in the form of a profile update?  i.e. to change the APN and such? 

Thanks 

It can't be pushed as a profile update to my knowledge. It has to be either built into the OS, or it can be released as an app that is cryptographically signed with the same certificate that signed the SIM card: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/carrier

The My Sprint app could be used for example if Sprint uses the same certificate as the SIM, but I don't believe that they do. They could just release a new app called something like Sprint VoLTE Enabler and it would enable VoLTE on any device running Android 6.0 and up (assuming they filed FCC recertification for it). But any device running 6.0 and up has the software already to do Sprint VoLTE, since they've moved to a standard implementation. Sprint just has to enable it and get it recertified... No OS updates are actually required.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ingenium said:

It can't be pushed as a profile update to my knowledge. It has to be either built into the OS, or it can be released as an app that is cryptographically signed with the same certificate that signed the SIM card: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/carrier

The My Sprint app could be used for example if Sprint uses the same certificate as the SIM, but I don't believe that they do. They could just release a new app called something like Sprint VoLTE Enabler and it would enable VoLTE on any device running Android 6.0 and up (assuming they filed FCC recertification for it). But any device running 6.0 and up has the software already to do Sprint VoLTE, since they've moved to a standard implementation. Sprint just has to enable it and get it recertified... 

Great, thank you for the explanation! 

11 minutes ago, deankelem said:

Great, thank you for the explanation! 

You can actually browse the configuration files in the Android source. Look at the current Sprint config: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/CarrierConfig/+/master/assets/carrier_config_carrierid_1788_Sprint.xml

And compare it to the Verizon config, which has everything setup for VoLTE: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/CarrierConfig/+/master/assets/carrier_config_carrierid_1839_Verizon-Wireless.xml

Or the T-Mobile config (which has VoLTE enabled as well): https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/CarrierConfig/+/master/assets/carrier_config_carrierid_1_T-Mobile-US.xml

An updated config file with the proper settings is all that's technically required for VoLTE (there may be other similar config files as well)

• Like 2

I have the unlocked and received the December security patch on December 10th.

For those of you getting the Dec update, are you on a Sprint branded S9 or an unlocked one? I only ask as I am still on November security patch and just checked for updates and there is nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Unlocked s9+ supports wifi calling. You have to enable it on sprint.com first and then enable it on your phone. 

I'm just curious does anyone else have an unlocked s9 and is still on November 1 security patch? Or are all the Dec 1 patch updates for those in the beta program?