sprint network 2018 predictions

danlodish345

3 hours ago, rocketr said:

Very true but if you can't get it 64QAM would still be supported. I think it would make more of a difference for Band 25 / Band 26 to increase the cell throughput capacity correct? I mean that is why every other carrier has gone to 256QAM correct? 

For Example T-Mobile deployed 256QAM on their 5x5MHz of Band 12 and saw a 33% capacity increase. We really need that increase in low / mid band. High band it wouldn't make as much of a difference unless on top of the tower but still would help. 

Thats what I want it for. B41 is fast enough without it but 25/26 needs it like yesterday 

• Like 1

2018 should be the year that SouthernLINC finally launches its band 26 LTE network (I've already seen it show up when searching for networks with a UK SIM in my phone), which should help Sprint's roaming footprint in the southeast quite a bit once VoLTE and/or CallingPlus is live on most devices.

• Like 2

2018 should be the year that SouthernLINC finally launches its band 26 LTE network (I've already seen it show up when searching for networks with a UK SIM in my phone), which should help Sprint's roaming footprint in the southeast quite a bit once VoLTE and/or CallingPlus is live on most devices.

That would be very nice. Because seeing been 26 deployed really fixes a lot of coverage holes. I definitely like to see that happen. But I’d like to see spring improve upon its coverage as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Got another B41 tower running!  This one is using 8T8R gear.  Kinda odd for what it is.  The other tower got MM gear.  The gear should ideally be swapped.  But the gear the MM is on, could be tower load limitations, has all the carriers on it.  

It's exciting to see them come online right around me. 2 towers down, 4 to go. :D

As far as SouthernLinc, I don't expect them to really go full on LTE coverage for Sprint if at all.  As we know, it's just 3MHz.  I think we'd not only get slapped with the lowest of the low priority, but might even get throttled hard on their network where it may not be much better than VZW 3G.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Got another B41 tower running!  This one is using 8T8R gear.  Kinda odd for what it is.  The other tower got MM gear.  The gear should ideally be swapped.  But the gear the MM is on, could be tower load limitations, has all the carriers on it.  

It's exciting to see them come online right around me. 2 towers down, 4 to go. :D

As far as SouthernLinc, I don't expect them to really go full on LTE coverage for Sprint if at all.  As we know, it's just 3MHz.  I think we'd not only get slapped with the lowest of the low priority, but might even get throttled hard on their network where it may not be much better than VZW 3G.

I m curious as to what sprint will do when verizon shuts off cdma all together 

7 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

I think that Sprint should start to move away from all the extended/native roaming that they currently have and just build out the network. It'll save them some money. It's ok to have it but looking at their map, they have a lot of roaming coverage. 

On 12/7/2017 at 7:26 PM, lordsutch said:

Is there any sort of coverage map to be able to see where this might come into play?

6 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Is there any sort of coverage map to be able to see where this might come into play?

SouthernLINC has recently posted their LTE coverage map. You'll note the "partner coverage" appears to correspond to Sprint's LTE footprint.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think that Sprint should start to move away from all the extended/native roaming that they currently have and just build out the network. It'll save them some money. It's ok to have it but looking at their map, they have a lot of roaming coverage. 

I do definitely agree with you. I’m a sprint fan and I would definitely like for them to improve and expand their native coverage when money permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 9:32 PM, red_dog007 said:

Their LTE network is actually 1.4MHz. Using SouthernLINC has definitely let me understand why it’s a “Mission Critical” network. It’s not for streaming or entertainment purposes.

From what I understand, Sprint will not be allowed to use it for roaming at all. There just isn’t the capacity to sustain them. Sprint just needs to do like T-Mobile and expand natively.

On 12/7/2017 at 6:26 PM, lordsutch said:

Sprint won’t be roaming on LINC. They did strike an agreement similar to the old iDEN roaming agreement where LINC subs can roam onto Sprint, but not vice versa.

11 hours ago, lordsutch said:

SouthernLINC has recently posted their LTE coverage map. You'll note the "partner coverage" appears to correspond to Sprint's LTE footprint.

Awesome, thanks - this is great for me if remotely accurate, because whenever we go back down to TN (near AL state line north of Huntsville) to visit mom, we're in almost a completely dead zone even for Verizon roaming.  Will this coverage actually be treated as true literal roaming, or is their agreement both ways such that coverage is treated as native?  I'd guess just regular roaming, but would be thrilled if it were more of a Shentel-like scenario with them - Sprint could use that kind of boost in many rural areas of the south.

2 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Awesome, thanks - this is great for me if remotely accurate, because whenever we go back down to TN (near AL state line north of Huntsville) to visit mom, we're in almost a completely dead zone even for Verizon roaming.  Will this coverage actually be treated as true literal roaming, or is their agreement both ways such that coverage is treated as native?  I'd guess just regular roaming, but would be thrilled if it were more of a Shentel-like scenario with them - Sprint could use that kind of boost in many rural areas of the south.

Sprint won’t be roaming on SoLINC with only 1.4MHz LTE carrier. Their interests are to serve the power company and their core clients they serve directly.

I wonder if there’s a chance Sprint will lease their 800 spectrum to SouthernLINC in exchange for a roaming agreement.

If my memory serves me correctly, in SouthernLINC’s markets, SouthernLINC + Sprint’s 800 MHz holding are always 813.5-824 (uplink) and 858.5-869 (downlink). That’s 10.5 MHz FDD. Enough spectrum for a 10x10 L800 carrier and a 1x800 carrier...

9 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

I wonder if there’s a chance Sprint will lease their 800 spectrum to SouthernLINC in exchange for a roaming agreement.

I have SouthernLINC and from my dealings with them and their network and business crew, i'd say thats not going to happen. Their first priority is the power crew, and second is to recoup some of the associated costs of the PTT LTE and iDEN network by allowing construction companies and other PTT critical users on the network.

They have never marketed their network much to personal users and have also made it very clear that their new LTE network is not there to support data intensive apps, but rather "mission critical" applications such as PTT.

If my memory serves me correctly, in SouthernLINC’s markets, SouthernLINC + Sprint’s 800 MHz holding are always 813.5-824 (uplink) and 858.5-869 (downlink). That’s 10.5 MHz FDD. Enough spectrum for a 10x10 L800 carrier and a 1x800 carrier...
RRPP (which SouthernLINC is part of) was originally billed as allowing partners to deploy on Sprint's spectrum outside native coverage, so it's possible they'd do that. If they did that it wouldn't surprise me if they reserved a 1.4x1.4 carrier for their "bulletproof" B2B service though.

1 hour ago, lordsutch said:

RRPP (which SouthernLINC is part of) was originally billed as allowing partners to deploy on Sprint's spectrum outside native coverage, so it's possible they'd do that. If they did that it wouldn't surprise me if they reserved a 1.4x1.4 carrier for their "bulletproof" B2B service though.

That is possible too. But if they do choose to keep a 1.4 MHz FDD LTE carrier, then they either must sacrifice the 1x800 carrier or cut the 10 MHz FDD LTE carrier down to 5 MHz FDD. 

I could see them deploying 10x10 L800 and a single 1x800 carrier and prioritizing their customers’ traffic over Sprint customers’ traffic...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 7:11 PM, RAvirani said:

That is possible too. But if they do choose to keep a 1.4 MHz FDD LTE carrier, then they either must sacrifice the 1x800 carrier or cut the 10 MHz FDD LTE carrier down to 5 MHz FDD. 

I could see them deploying 10x10 L800 and a single 1x800 carrier and prioritizing their customers’ traffic over Sprint customers’ traffic...

i thought they where limited to only a 5mhz band 26 carrier?

49 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

i thought they where limited to only a 5mhz band 26 carrier?

Sprint and SouthernLINC's combined SMR holdings are 813.5-824 (uplink) and 858.5-869 (downlink).  If they shared spectrum, they would have room for a 10x10 L800 carrier and a single 1x800 carrier.  

Sprint and SouthernLINC's combined SMR holdings are 813.5-824 (uplink) and 858.5-869 (downlink).  If they shared spectrum, they would have room for a 10x10 L800 carrier and a single 1x800 carrier.  
Okay I thought you were talking Across the Nation but nevermind I was mistaken. But that would be more than enough for them. That would actually provide them with a much better experience.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

On 12/21/2017 at 10:50 PM, danlodish345 said:

They have already started lining up LTE roaming agreements with AT&T. I think that points to the future quite clearly. There plan should be to get VoLTE up and running before VZW shuts down their CDMA network. If They manage that, then they will have more raoming partners to choose from in most location. It might even reduce the cost of roaming for them. But They are going to have to fix their native network first. 

37 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

Okay I thought you were talking Across the Nation but nevermind I was mistaken. But that would be more than enough for them. That would actually provide them with a much better experience.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

No this would be solely in SouthernLINC territory.  I think spectrum sharing would greatly improve both networks' performance.