Streaming Services Chat

Dkoellerwx

I've decided to trial Sling and YT TV this week. Have to sign up for Sling yet, but I started the YT trial last night. The app seems rather confusing so far - can't find anything I would call a guide, just a single list of channels and what's on right now. I also have not seen any way to record to the mysterious cloud DVR. What am I missing? Will try out the smart TV apps today.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Oh, well that's a weird UX.. You have to tap + to add it to your library.. But for a tv show, it sets it to record future airings, so if you just want the one, you have to go to your library and cancel them. Cmon Google, you can do better - a record button is the natural way. I bet the YT TV people never talk to the Fiber TV people either.

• 5 weeks later...
I got Sling when it first came out, it was pretty nice for a brand new product.
But I have a mix of OTA, Youtube Red, Netflix, Amazon Prime and now Hulu. I pay for Youtube Red Family ($15/mo), Amazon Prime if I just used video would be $8.33/mo. OTA, Netflix, Hulu is free.
$23.33/mo + tax is way better than the $160 was paying for DirecTV. Never watched it cause either nothing was ever on, or I'd sit down to eat+watch TV and I would finish my food by the time the commercials finished. :P. Noticed towards the end of shows commercials would be ~5 minutes in length.
I just noticed you said Netflix was free - how the heck are you getting it for free?

I just noticed you said Netflix was free - how the heck are you getting it for free?

I believe it says he's getting Hulu for free, which Sprint customers can get as long as they are on an unlimited plan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I believe it says he's getting Hulu for free, which Sprint customers can get as long as they are on an unlimited plan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No, I thought the same thing at first, but his total amount is amazon + youtube red. I have the free hulu too.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:46 AM, Grabber5.0 said:

The common route of most others who don't pay for Netflix. It's a "family" account.  That's why I pay for YTRed.

But now I also got Youtube TV. Not sure how long I am going to keep it.  It is almost $40/mo after taxes. Im not a huge sports guy, and it is mostly sports channels.

The common route of most others who don't pay for Netflix. It's a "family" account.  That's why I pay for YTRed.
But now I also got Youtube TV. Not sure how long I am going to keep it.  It is almost $40/mo after taxes. Im not a huge sports guy, and it is mostly sports channels.
Ah. I hadn't considered that. :) I am not impressed with the YouTube TV channel lineup. It's pretty slim. They claim to have Fox here, but it's only the cable channels, not the local Fox affiliate. They do have the other three broadcast networks. Time to try another service.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Ah. I hadn't considered that. :) I am not impressed with the YouTube TV channel lineup. It's pretty slim. They claim to have Fox here, but it's only the cable channels, not the local Fox affiliate. They do have the other three broadcast networks. Time to try another service.

That's on your local Fox affiliate. YouTube provides the equipment, they just have to get it installed. We got our YouTube TV and Hulu Live servers installed at the end of last year. 

That's on your local Fox affiliate. YouTube provides the equipment, they just have to get it installed. We got our YouTube TV and Hulu Live servers installed at the end of last year. 
Not surprising to hear, thanks. I plan to trial them all before making my decision. Maybe by then, they will have it.

9 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:
Not surprising to hear, thanks. I plan to trial them all before making my decision. Maybe by then, they will have it.

Watched the Superbowl via YouTube TV this year. The quality was higher than the over-the-air signal. I'm not sure if that's a local problem, or if others have seen the same. Our local NBC station is packed on the same channel as the ABC and a 480p sub-channel, so they may be suffering more than other channels would be.

Sent from my LG G6

• Like 2

I actually went ahead and signed up for Sling TV after my month trial expired from the purchase of my new 4K TV. I've been really impressed with it. Added the $5 to get DIY and for just a few cents over $26 a month I get almost 50 channels. Plus with Hulu for free, it's made my Roku TV be well worth it.

• 1 month later...

I finally pulled the plug on Fiber TV, which will cut my bill by about $80. Still using YT TV, as it offers many of the channels that would require Sling Orange+Blue and the DVR is included. I still need to try some others, but this is still good and saves me almost $50/month net. After checking, I don't think my local FOX affiliate is available on any streaming service. Guess I'll have to use OTA until then.

1 hour ago, Grabber5.0 said:

I finally pulled the plug on Fiber TV, which will cut my bill by about $80. Still using YT TV, as it offers many of the channels that would require Sling Orange+Blue and the DVR is included. I still need to try some others, but this is still good and saves me almost $50/month net. After checking, I don't think my local FOX affiliate is available on any streaming service. Guess I'll have to use OTA until then.

Which TV market are you in?

2 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:

KC

Interesting. Fox 4 should have it set up already. Perhaps Tribune is dragging their feet while waiting on the potential merger with Sinclair. We've had ours set up in Springfield since last fall, and we're a smaller market than KC. 

• Like 1

Interesting. Fox 4 should have it set up already. Perhaps Tribune is dragging their feet while waiting on the potential merger with Sinclair. We've had ours set up in Springfield since last fall, and we're a smaller market than KC. 
Yeah I'd think so too. I've been meaning to contact them and ask about it, but don't figure I'd get an informed reply anyway.

• 4 months later...

Got an email saying they finally added local fox stations in a handful of markets, including mine.

I discovered something I do not like though.. I can't watch a lot of channels when I'm out of town! [emoji35] and a bunch are on-demand only.

1 hour ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Got an email saying they finally added local fox stations in a handful of markets, including mine.

I discovered something I do not like though.. I can't watch a lot of channels when I'm out of town! emoji35.png and a bunch are on-demand only.

What are you not able to watch while out of town? Like local channels or other things?

What are you not able to watch while out of town? Like local channels or other things?

Ok I guess I panicked when the whole first page of the guide was on-demand only.. it looks like it is just my local channels. One other problem I've found is the YouTube TV app makes my G5 restart after a few minutes. It's done it every single time I've tried to use it on this phone. Not just today. The first time it happened, I thought it was just because my battery was low, but found soon the battery level doesn't matter. Good thing I brought my Nexus 5X with me too. [emoji14]

On 8/23/2018 at 12:25 AM, Grabber5.0 said:

One other problem I've found is the YouTube TV app makes my G5 restart after a few minutes. It's done it every single time I've tried to use it on this phone. Not just today. The first time it happened, I thought it was just because my battery was low, but found soon the battery level doesn't matter.

I've never tried YouTube TV, but its not the only app that will do that.  If you do enough Googling, you'll find that certain media apps are using some kind of different DRM or codec or something that certain hardware won't work properly with.  LG smartphones in general seem to be affected, but there are others out there I know I've seen besides just LG. 

I can stream 24 hours a day if I so chose on Amazon Video, Netflix, or Dish Anywhere apps without a single hiccup barring any network/internet issues, but all three of Google Play Movies & TV, Movies Anywhere or Hulu will do the exact same thing you're describing if you try any of those as well.   Its annoying as heck and I wish the developers of these apps would do some research and determine where the issue is and try to figure out if there's some way to work around it.

Wow great info thanks. I wondered if it might be DRM related, since YouTube is fine but YTTV isn't, but I hadn't looked further. I tried out Play Movies this afternoon, and it took a bit longer (Deadpool almost had time to start killing.. [emoji16]) but my phone did restart.

Wonder if LGs are in-particular effected because of the issues many of their devices have had with bootloop of death and similar other issues.  

One of my friends LG phones restarted pretty often under stress before it just stopped working.  Games or anything else do it as well?

Anyone who has the free hulu streaming service with Sprint get one of these emails lately?  I did not cancel it and my bill is always up to date.  Just curious, thanks! 

Hulu hulu@hulumail.com

Sat, Aug 25, 4:59 PM (4 days ago)

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

open.aspx?ffcb10-fe9117767d64067b70-fdfdpixel.gif?r=299ce47470ca11e030a1943b344b
Hulu
We're sorry to see you go.
Hi Dean, 

This is a confirmation that your Hulu subscription will be canceled on 09/24/2018. Until then, you can keep enjoying all the Hulu you want.

You can reactivate your Hulu account at any time
to keep watching.