Google Pixel 2 by HTC User Thread

DurhamHusker

Google Pixel 2 manufactured by HTC.

Stated specs -

• Android 8.0
  • LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 30, 41, 66
  • World-wide network/carrier compatibility
    • GSM/EDGE: Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/HSDPA: Bands 1/2/4/5/8
    • CDMA EVDO Rev A: BC0/BC1/BC10
    • FDD-LTE : Bands 1*/2*/3*/4*/5/7*/8/12/13/17/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66*
    • TD-LTE: Bands 38*/40/41*   (* - Bands that support 4x4 MIMO)
    • Supports up to CAT 15 (800Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL), 3x DL CA, 4x4 MIMO, 256-QAM DL and 64-QAM UL depending on carrier support
  • IP67 certified - dust and water resistant - Water resistant up to 1 meter and 30 minutes
  • Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 - Octa-core (4x2.35 GHz Kryo & 4x1.9 GHz Kryo)
  • No memory card slot
  • Internal Flash - 64/128 GB, 4 GB RAM
  • Back Camera - 12.2 MP, f/1.8, OIS
  • Front Camera - 8 MP, f/2.4
  • Video    2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@240fps
  • Front facing stereo speakers
  • No 3.5mm jack
  • USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector (PowerDelivery 2.0)
  • Rear mounted fingerprint sensor
  • Non-removable Li-Ion 2700 mAh battery
Edited by DurhamHusker
Additional specs
  • Thanks 1

I received mine on Oct 31st. Activated on November 1st. This is the snappiest phone I've ever used. I'm going to put this thing through some paces before I make a final decision on keeping it. The WiFi seems to lack range (both my GS7 and GS3 hold onto WiFi longer), but that's my only knock on this phone so far.

I also received mine. Turned in my Pixel one as a trade in. Had that buzzing noise, everything else was good to go. I decided to return the Pixel 2 since I had 14 days to do so. It worked great, but I want to see Google sort out the issue first before rebuying. I liked the textured feel.

When i listed to the phone wiht NFC on, I could hear a ringing or buzzing from behind the earpiece. Also had the clicking issue. That was it though everything else was fine.

Edited by Swordfish

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 5:38 PM, Swordfish said:

I also received mine. Turned in my Pixel one as a trade in. Had that buzzing noise, everything else was good to go. I decided to return the Pixel 2 since I had 14 days to do so. It worked great, but I want to see Google sort out the issue first before rebuying. I liked the textured feel.

When i listed to the phone wiht NFC on, I could hear a ringing or buzzing from behind the earpiece. Also had the clicking issue. That was it though everything else was fine.

i am getting the pixel 2 xl. is anyone with either phone having a problem with screen burn in?

4 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

i am getting the pixel 2 xl. is anyone with either phone having a problem with screen burn in?

My phone has been fine. No issues here. I think the ppl who got the pre order seem to have an issue 

Just now, Swordfish said:

I noticed this pixel 2 has a different sim card than the pixel 1. Is the reception better with the pixel 2 or is there some better improvement for the 2 vs the 1 with this different sim card?

i m getting my pixel 2 xl later tomorrow...well it has the snap dragon 835 so depending on the carrier support it can do 4 carrier aggregation

Just now, danlodish345 said:

i m getting my pixel 2 xl later tomorrow...well it has the snap dragon 835 so depending on the carrier support it can do 4 carrier aggregation

Just a heads up you need a new sim card. Check Reddit post. If you owned the pixel 1 you'll like this one. It is really smooth. It's a great phone and the camera is great

2 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Just a heads up you need a new sim card. Check Reddit post. If you owned the pixel 1 you'll like this one. It is really smooth. It's a great phone and the camera is great

so does it use the same sim size as the iphone 7 plus?

5 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

Wrong thread.  Note the title.  Pixel 2.  HTC.  No XL.

AJ

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 7:40 PM, danlodish345 said:

Google states the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are both only LTE CAT 15 so only 3 carrier aggregation.

Added additional specs to the OP.

- - - - -

So far, so good with this Pixel 2.

Screen still looks great.

I never did get any of the clicking or whining during phone calls that some were experiencing. Phone calls sound great. Really great.

Loud speakers don't sound as good as I thought they might. Kind of tin-like when you really crank up the volume.

I seem to always get a data link where ever I go. Supports all the USCC LTE bands and I've had no trouble roaming (pseudo natively) in USCC territory in rural Kansas and Nebraska.

Hotspot works very well.

Battery lasts FOREVER w/o the bloat that often comes with non-nexus / non-pixel Android devices ... that's my favorite part.

Camera is pretty fantastic. I've used the "portrait" mode on a number of occasions and receive a lot of complements on the photos.

I only sort of miss the audio jack. It does come with a USB-C to 3.5mm jack dongle in the box, so I carry that around with me when I need it and get by just fine.

I miss the cool factor of the wireless charging my S7 had. But really don't need it as long as this battery is lasting.

I do miss the Samsung Pay tech where you can use your phone to pay at most retailers that don't support NFC mobile payments.

But none of those things I miss would dissuade me from making this purchase again. After 3 months, still very happy with my choice.

• 4 months later...

Thinking about getting a Pixel 2 to replace my HTC 10.  Still love the 10, best phone I ever had, and it's still just as snappy as ever, but the battery doesn't last anymore.  Now that I'm on summer break (teacher here!) I have to put it on the charger at least 2 times a day.  This morning, unplugged around 11AM and by 12:30 it was already at 77% and all I did was some texting.

I've read that you can't use Visual Voicemail with the Pixel 2, is that true?

Thinking about getting a Pixel 2 to replace my HTC 10.  Still love the 10, best phone I ever had, and it's still just as snappy as ever, but the battery doesn't last anymore.  Now that I'm on summer break (teacher here!) I have to put it on the charger at least 2 times a day.  This morning, unplugged around 11AM and by 12:30 it was already at 77% and all I did was some texting.

I've read that you can't use Visual Voicemail with the Pixel 2, is that true?
Correct. No visual voicemail and no wifi calling or calling+. You can use conditional call forwarding with Google Voice though for visual voicemail. In my opinion it's better since you also get free transcriptions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So you activate Google Voice and then you can use the built in VV app?

Never got WiFi calling on the 10 so I won't miss that anyway!

Correct. No visual voicemail and no wifi calling or calling+. You can use conditional call forwarding with Google Voice though for visual voicemail. In my opinion it's better since you also get free transcriptions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I also use my Google Voice number in a conditional call forwarding scenario to get visual voicemail. Works very well and I've been using it for years, actually, across many devices. One caveat is that whenever your phone's profile gets updated from the network it resets the conditional call forwarding setting and you just have to re-set it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Phone came today.  The chat agent I chatted with on Sunday night sent the wrong SIM card - I even asked 3 times because I knew it was wrong, but they insisted it would work.  It did not.  Called in and the tech support called the local Sprint store to check if they had the correct one - they had ONE in stock.  So I ran over there ASAP and got it up and running.  Was pretty simple after that.

Drove home to find my phone line leading to my neighborhood was totally destroyed somehow -- copper line cut in half and pairs oozing out all over the place -- so no DSL and Wifi.  So it's pretty annoying to set up a new phone with no Wifi.  I'm currently using it as a Hotspot and it's working great, even with a low signal in the basement.

First thing I've noticed: it doesn't charge rapidly with any of my current QuickCharge 3.0 cubes or cords.  That's kind of annoying, but certainly not a deal breaker.  It does work with the included cord.  Just annoying because I have quite a slew of QC 3.0 / USB-C cords in varying lengths.  It didn't even like the HTC branded ones from the 10.

I'll figure out the Google Voice visual voicemail thing tomorrow and/or whenever my DSL line gets fixed.