Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

5 hours ago, dashriprock said:

I just got a Pebble (MOD-1001-41) AP1000-41

1) Which one is this?

2) The instructions are awful. The Wifi set-up through the Android app doesnt work I can never get passed the Configure part....I get past the selecting wifi part and then when I get the Pebble Status screen I press configure and it never finds the pebble again I get error messages cant find it even though I am on the wifi I selected in the process

....I did plug and play with ethernet next but there is no documentation on how to use it. The user guide doesnt tell you much.

Is ethernet better than wifi?

Once connected. I never get a flashing green light like it said I should. Do I have to leave wifi connected? to which one?

The set up took several times and really was a hit or miss for me. I tried the wifi option and it kept timing out, however; when I unplugged the pebble then replugged it in, after the LED light sequence set up it was a solid green light then flashes when connected. I think that when inputting in the wifi info, it showed as timing out, but the info went through b/c I see that it flashes when I am near. The first time it happened I was a bit surprised and just gave up as it not working so I unplugged it then replugged it and the light was green.

My wifi router that connects into the cable is indoors, so that won't work for me. If you cannot use the antenna with the ethernet cord then don't use it b/c it will not work if it cannot lock a GPS signal according to the instructions.

Edited by Swordfish

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

The set up took several times and really was a hit or miss for me. I tried the wifi option and it kept timing out, however; when I unplugged the pebble then replugged it in, after the LED light sequence set up it was a solid green light then flashes when connected. I think that when inputting in the wifi info, it showed as timing out, but the info went through b/c I see that it flashes when I am near. The first time it happened I was a bit surprised and just gave up as it not working so I unplugged it then replugged it and the light was green.

My wifi router that connects into the cable is indoors, so that won't work for me. If you cannot use the antenna with the ethernet cord then don't use it b/c it will not work if it cannot lock a GPS signal according to the instructions.

Your second paragraph confused me a bit.

Also, are you saying you ran the set up multiple times as in you factory reset it and tried again? Or just unplugged and plugged back in and it started working all of a sudden,

I also still dont know how it functions. Are we supposed to always be on the wifi 5g that we select through the setup? Or after it goes solid green are we supposed to turn wifi off (The only way I get it to flash green is right after I turn wifi off...I get like 5 flashes of green and then back to solid)....but then eventually I lose a signal

Edited by dashriprock

12 minutes ago, dashriprock said:

Your second paragraph confused me a bit.

Also, are you saying you ran the set up multiple times as in you factory reset it and tried again? Or just unplugged and plugged back in and it started working all of a sudden,

I also still dont know how it functions. Are we supposed to always be on the wifi 5g that we select through the setup? Or after it goes solid green are we supposed to turn wifi off (The only way I get it to flash green is right after I turn wifi off...I get like 5 flashes of green and then back to solid)....but then eventually I lose a signal

No, what I did was out of the box I tried the Sprint set up assistant app and input my info in via app and then wifi. It wasn't working with my current cell phone so I tried it on another and it worked. I also have android. 

Regarding the flashing, the same thing happens with me. I think it is not connected all the time. When I am on wifi, it stays green when I am close by, then when I turn off wifi, it flashes so the same thing. I have not had mine for very long, so I'm not sure if it takes time to calibrate itself. I also moved the GPS black box to a different location so it has a better GPS signal.

The green light indicates that it is working and periodically flashes so it is set up, but I just set up mine, so I'm not sure on the specific when it toggles, etc.

Edited by Swordfish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

No, what I did was out of the box I tried the Sprint set up assistant app and input my info in via app and then wifi. It wasn't working with my current cell phone so I tried it on another and it worked. I also have android. 

Regarding the flashing, the same thing happens with me. I think it is not connected all the time. When I am on wifi, it stays green when I am close by, then when I turn off wifi, it flashes so the same thing. I have not had mine for very long, so I'm not sure if it takes time to calibrate itself. I also moved the GPS black box to a different location so it has a better GPS signal.

The green light indicates that it is working and periodically flashes so it is set up, but I just set up mine, so I'm not sure on the specific when it toggles, etc.

Are we supposed to stay connected to WIFI for it to function?

8 hours ago, dashriprock said:

Are we supposed to stay connected to WIFI for it to function?

Does your android allow you to connect to wifi and mobile ? By default my android cuts the mobile when I'm on wifi to save data so you need to make sure both can be on at the same time.

Edited by Swordfish

4 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Does your android allow you to connect to wifi and mobile ? By default my android cuts the mobile when I'm on wifi to save data so you need to make sure both can be on at the same time.

Yes of course. So are you saying you have to have wifi AND data on to make it work?

ALSO if anyone else who has had one for a long time wants to chime in! Please do! 😃

• 3 weeks later...
My Magic Box Gold fell offline overnight and it won't connect back to the network after a couple tries.
Could be a fluke or something else...
Factory reset?

One of mine (wired backhaul) was apparently offline long enough to trigger the email yesterday to plug it back in. My phone would connect to it, but no data would pass (but it didn't have the X in the signal bars). A reboot still had it acting weird (DNS lookups failed), then it started working.

So they may be making changes to the backend and causing issues.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ingenium said:

Factory reset?

One of mine (wired backhaul) was apparently offline long enough to trigger the email yesterday to plug it back in. My phone would connect to it, but no data would pass (but it didn't have the X in the signal bars). A reboot still had it acting weird (DNS lookups failed), then it started working.

So they may be making changes to the backend and causing issues.

I've been out of my office for 3 months now and I got an email last night that the box hasn't connected in awhile. I had someone there check and it was definitely powered on and appeared connected. I had her do a reboot. We'll see what happens.

It finally reconnected but it is SLOWWWWWWWWWWW..... 1.09 / 0.75
Is it on B41 for backhaul? Did you have it last summer? Leaves on trees have a dramatic effect on signal strength. At my parents' house it's the difference between B41 on the MB (albeit shitty and slow) and only B25. B25/2 drops by about 6-8 dbm on some high gain directional antennas that I have setup. On ATT on my phone it's the difference between decent B12 and literally no service.

1 hour ago, ingenium said:

Is it on B41 for backhaul? Did you have it last summer? Leaves on trees have a dramatic effect on signal strength. At my parents' house it's the difference between B41 on the MB (albeit shitty and slow) and only B25. B25/2 drops by about 6-8 dbm on some high gain directional antennas that I have setup. On ATT on my phone it's the difference between decent B12 and literally no service.

It's parked on a weak B41, yes. It's pretty bad in the summer, probably because of the leaves, but not much better (upload especially) even when there aren't any. wish this thing would connect to any other band besides super fringe B41.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent mine back a few weeks ago. My power went out for 2 seconds and it went back to search mode. If the pebble gets disconnected from power for any amount of time, it needs to be completely re-configured.

Decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I have wifi calling so I get phone calls and if I don't get texts,....depending on who it is from that's actually a bonus.

Edited by Swordfish

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

I have the Airave 4 LTE and for the past few weeks my phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) is having problems connecting to the device's LTE. Prior to these past few weeks, it would connect great and even had VOLTE. Now, my phone would only connect to the Airave if I reactivate/refresh device. Even then, it would have only LTE and not VoLTE anymore like a few weeks before.

I tried with 2 other family members device (Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S10e). The Samsung Galaxy S8 didn't have any problems connecting but still only had LTE instead of VoLTE while the Galaxy S10e needed to be reactivated/refreshed to connect to the Airave too. Both the S10's would have to be reactivated/refreshed after a few days to connect to Airave again. Is this because of the T-Mobile merger or is there a different problem with the S10's? It just seems strange that everything was working great before until now. Thanks all!

Hey All,
I have the Airave 4 LTE and for the past few weeks my phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) is having problems connecting to the device's LTE. Prior to these past few weeks, it would connect great and even had VOLTE. Now, my phone would only connect to the Airave if I reactivate/refresh device. Even then, it would have only LTE and not VoLTE anymore like a few weeks before.
I tried with 2 other family members device (Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S10e). The Samsung Galaxy S8 didn't have any problems connecting but still only had LTE instead of VoLTE while the Galaxy S10e needed to be reactivated/refreshed to connect to the Airave too. Both the S10's would have to be reactivated/refreshed after a few days to connect to Airave again. Is this because of the T-Mobile merger or is there a different problem with the S10's? It just seems strange that everything was working great before until now. Thanks all!
It's possible that your S10s are set to use the T-Mobile network by default. In which case they would only use the Airave if you lose T-mobile service (basically they'd roam on Sprint).

Airaves and MBs occasionally lose VoLTE. Often this happens if your internet or power cuts out, or if your GPS is weak or loses its lock. Do you use the included GPS antenna and have it in a window?

Sometimes you might have to factory reset it. I had to do this with my magic box which lost its VoLTE recently. Be aware that it can take 3 weeks to reacquire VoLTE. It's a manual process to flip it back on. Basically when the requirements are met, your device is added to a queue, and a tech has to go through and manually turn it back on. For me, it's usually taken 2.5 weeks for this to happen.

If you have a UPS/battery backup, I suggest putting your Airave, router, and modem on it to prevent dropouts that would cause you to lose the VoLTE flag and have to wait for it to get added back again.

15 minutes ago, ingenium said:

It's possible that your S10s are set to use the T-Mobile network by default. In which case they would only use the Airave if you lose T-mobile service (basically they'd roam on Sprint).

Airaves and MBs occasionally lose VoLTE. Often this happens if your internet or power cuts out, or if your GPS is weak or loses its lock. Do you use the included GPS antenna and have it in a window?

Sometimes you might have to factory reset it. I had to do this with my magic box which lost its VoLTE recently. Be aware that it can take 3 weeks to reacquire VoLTE. It's a manual process to flip it back on. Basically when the requirements are met, your device is added to a queue, and a tech has to go through and manually turn it back on. For me, it's usually taken 2.5 weeks for this to happen.

If you have a UPS/battery backup, I suggest putting your Airave, router, and modem on it to prevent dropouts that would cause you to lose the VoLTE flag and have to wait for it to get added back again.

Thanks so much for your quick response! I wonder if Sprint in my area provisioned the S10's to be on T-Mobile network by default already while they haven't done the with the S8. I also had an Airave rep do a refresh on their end and didn't seem to fix the issues for the S10's.

I do have the GPS antenna and it is right next to the window so that doesn't appear to be the problem. I have reset the Airave a few times and even doing a hard reset though. Based on what you mention, that might be the reason why I don't have VoLTE anymore. Do you know if it's same process for Airave 4 to get back VoLTE or is that process only for the MB?

Thanks so much for your response! Definitely helpful in trying to diagnose. Sprint also sent me a return kit. Do you think it's worth trading in for the Pebble? Or should I try and keep tinkering with the Airave 4?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your quick response! I wonder if Sprint in my area provisioned the S10's to be on T-Mobile network by default already while they haven't done the with the S8. I also had an Airave rep do a refresh on their end and didn't seem to fix the issues for the S10's.

I do have the GPS antenna and it is right next to the window so that doesn't appear to be the problem. I have reset the Airave a few times and even doing a hard reset though. Based on what you mention, that might be the reason why I don't have VoLTE anymore. Do you know if it's same process for Airave 4 to get back VoLTE or is that process only for the MB?

Thanks so much for your response! Definitely helpful in trying to diagnose. Sprint also sent me a return kit. Do you think it's worth trading in for the Pebble? Or should I try and keep tinkering with the Airave 4?

Thanks!

Personally I'd keep the Airave 4.

All the femtos are the same when it comes to VoLTE. Your resets are definitely delaying it getting reactivated. I know it sucks, but you just have to leave it be for 3 weeks. Eventually VoLTE will get turned back on.

If your S10s are on Sprint (check the PLMN in the engineering screen, or use an app like Signal Check Pro), then they will eventually find the Airave again. The network completely controls what your phone connects to, unless you lose service completely. You will not end up on the Airave unless the network tells your phone to connect to it. Usually it takes up to a few weeks for the Airave to get integrated into the network and for the towers around you to know about it. Once they do, they'll allow handoffs and will move your phone to it when it's in range.

As to why the other phones see it and connect, there are a number of possible reasons. One of which is because it doesn't have VoLTE enabled (I've found that devices that use VoLTE will avoid moving to something that doesn't have VoLTE enabled). But basically it will be inconsistent until the network has integrated it. Every time you factory reset (ie, the PCI changes), it wipes this and has to start over again with integration.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Received 'coverage update' emails from Sprint-Mo/T-Sprint today notifying me that Airraves are no longer needed and that:  "Your device will be shut down within 30 days and removed from your account. There is nothing more you need to do."    I suppose that's that.

• 7 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 5:45 PM, PythonFanPA said:

Received 'coverage update' emails from Sprint-Mo/T-Sprint today notifying me that Airraves are no longer needed and that:  "Your device will be shut down within 30 days and removed from your account. There is nothing more you need to do."    I suppose that's that.

I've been using an Airave still, as I need it. Apparently on July 31, 2021 they shut them all down. They did not let me know.. and so now I'm trying to figure out how to get coverage at my house again.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Mustang46L said:

I've been using an Airave still, as I need it. Apparently on July 31, 2021 they shut them all down. They did not let me know.. and so now I'm trying to figure out how to get coverage at my house again.. 

Same here.. no notice but mine seems to have died around that time too. Wi-Fi Calling works well, but I can't send/receive texts.. frustrating.

• Like 1

I have a Sprint Airave 4 LTE and was curious to know what the GUI username and password may be.

It's not admin/admin as with the older models of Airave.

I've tried a bunch but no luck.  Mostly admin as the username, but also root.

Just curious to see what's in it.  The thing doesn't really work at all for me anyway but I don't plan to change anything that isn't completely obvious if I were to get in.  Next year I have to get a T-Mobile phone so I probably will ship that back.

I noticed the device grabs two IPs from my router and there are two MAC addresses.

It's the MAC address which does not show on the bottom (that is one hex digit before the one that does on the label) which is the one that associates with the IP that leads to the GUI page login.

Edited by Steve Sybesma

I decided to order the return kit for my Airave 4 LTE.  Not messing with it anymore.   They indeed did deactivate all of them as previously stated by others.  T-Mobile has nothing to replace it with yet, apparently...unless any of you know something.

Edited by Steve Sybesma

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 1:41 AM, Steve Sybesma said:

I decided to order the return kit for my Airave 4 LTE.  Not messing with it anymore.   They indeed did deactivate all of them as previously stated by others.  T-Mobile has nothing to replace it with yet, apparently...unless any of you know something.

T-Mobile does have something to replace it if you have migrated to T-Mo. It's the 4G LTE CellSpot.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, though said:

T-Mobile does have something to replace it if you have migrated to T-Mo. It's the 4G LTE CellSpot.

Are CellSpots still working/available? T-Mobile told me that was not an option for me when I called about my Airave deactivated.

• Like 1