Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

So I moved buildings at work. I have little signal at my new desk. I was qualified for a MB or Airwave. I picked the Airwave.
Is it mostly a plug n play device? Or more involved to get it up and working?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So I moved buildings at work. I have little signal at my new desk. I was qualified for a MB or Airwave. I picked the Airwave.
Is it mostly a plug n play device? Or more involved to get it up and working?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Plug into ethernet port then put GPS facing up and power it on. Then you just need to wait for it to sync up and that's it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So family members of mine, who live in a condo, have had an Airave 4 since July 2019.  They got it since there are a few dead spots in their condo where the macro site cannot reach (in the deepest portion of the condo, away from the exterior walls, but overall it's a small portion of the condo).  Within the past few days, the A4 has been unusable as incoming calls go straight to voicemail (although outgoing calls work).  They tried unplugging and plugging back in the A4, which did not help.  They are now keeping the A4 unplugged and just using the marco site.  Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and if there are any fixes?  The bigger question is, what is Sprint doing with A4's these days?  Are they still sending them out and is it possible to get a replacement?      

So family members of mine, who live in a condo, have had an Airave 4 since July 2019.  They got it since there are a few dead spots in their condo where the macro site cannot reach (in the deepest portion of the condo, away from the exterior walls, but overall it's a small portion of the condo).  Within the past few days, the A4 has been unusable as incoming calls go straight to voicemail (although outgoing calls work).  They tried unplugging and plugging back in the A4, which did not help.  They are now keeping the A4 unplugged and just using the marco site.  Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and if there are any fixes?  The bigger question is, what is Sprint doing with A4's these days?  Are they still sending them out and is it possible to get a replacement?      

What phones do they have? If they're older, it could be an eCSFB issue (Airave 3 got this issue when it went EOL). Do they have VoLTE enabled?

I believe Sprint is still sending them out. Everything works fine on mine. They recently (in last couple months) enabled VoLTE on the Airave 4, so they're still supported, at least until July. Who knows after that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

What phones do they have? If they're older, it could be an eCSFB issue (Airave 3 got this issue when it went EOL). Do they have VoLTE enabled?

I believe Sprint is still sending them out. Everything works fine on mine. They recently (in last couple months) enabled VoLTE on the Airave 4, so they're still supported, at least until July. Who knows after that.

Thanks.  They all have the iPhone 6.  Is there any way to fix the potential eCSFB issue on the A4?  

Thanks.  They all have the iPhone 6.  Is there any way to fix the potential eCSFB issue on the A4?  
I'm pretty sure iPhone 6 uses eCSFB.

So basically, the signal comes in on LTE telling the phone to switch to CDMA to take the call. And for whatever reason, either that signal is failing, or it can't connect to the Airave CDMA fast enough, or can't find it, or it tries to use a macro CDMA signal instead. There are a lot of different possible reasons for why incoming calls are failing. Honestly, eCSFB has always been a bit flakey in my experience with missing calls, especially in lower signal situations.

Nothing you can do about it, other than maybe contact Airave support. I'm not sure if the 4 is actually having eCSFB issues, I just know that the 3 does. At least on my old one, they broke something in the last update before marking it end of life. It seriously screwed up any phone in range that uses eCSFB or VoLTE (only SRLTE devices worked), even if that phone was on a macro. You had to be out of range for about 15 min for the phone to get fixed, and then a flood of texts would come in or send. Very bizarre issue that it affected devices nearby but not connected to it.

• Like 1

So I got the Pebble from Sprint, I'm waiting for the damn VoLTE to enable. I harassed Sprint and they said it is a limitation of the device (which they still can't explain why) and waiting is the only option. They also told me every time there is a power failure the wait for it to enable begins again.... really? Does anyone know how it works and why there is a 2-3 week lead up to VoLTE enabling? So now my voice calls drop down to 1x and I can't receive MMS when I'm on a call. No problem I thought, I'll just switch to wifi calling for now and I can still get MMS over LTE while I'm on a call. Not so fast. For some damn reason wifi calling doesn't work on my SM-G970U1 (unlocked s10e) when I'm connected to the Pebble. If I turn airplane mode on, wifi calling pops right up. If I unplug the pebble, wifi calling pops right up. That leads one to believe the Pebble is preventing wifi calling from activating for some reason. However, my dad's LG V20 has absolutely no issue using wifi calling while connected to the Pebble and can therefore receive MMS just fine. Do you have any idea what in the hell could be causing this? Is this some whack setting on the s10e which I'm not seeing? Phone has the latest updates, 911 is updated, I did PRL and profile updates. I'm stumped....

UPDATE: So I found the answer in the wifi-calling menus and googling that took me to a post here. Apparently starting in April of 2020, Sprint decided it knows what is best for you so it sets calling over the network to preferred and only if signal is too weak will it default to wifi calling. There is no visible option in the phone to change that setting. I had to download Samsung Band app to set it to prefer wifi and bam.... now it is enabled. I'd still like to know WTF the Pebble is doing with VoLTE though.

Edited by killerz298
Update
  • Like 3

So I got the Pebble from Sprint, I'm waiting for the damn VoLTE to enable. I harassed Sprint and they said it is a limitation of the device (which they still can't explain why) and waiting is the only option. They also told me every time there is a power failure the wait for it to enable begins again.... really? Does anyone know how it works and why there is a 2-3 week lead up to VoLTE enabling? So now my voice calls drop down to 1x and I can't receive MMS when I'm on a call. No problem I thought, I'll just switch to wifi calling for now and I can still get MMS over LTE while I'm on a call. Not so fast. For some damn reason wifi calling doesn't work on my SM-G970U1 (unlocked s10e) when I'm connected to the Pebble. If I turn airplane mode on, wifi calling pops right up. If I unplug the pebble, wifi calling pops right up. That leads one to believe the Pebble is preventing wifi calling from activating for some reason. However, my dad's LG V20 has absolutely no issue using wifi calling while connected to the Pebble and can therefore receive MMS just fine. Do you have any idea what in the hell could be causing this? Is this some whack setting on the s10e which I'm not seeing? Phone has the latest updates, 911 is updated, I did PRL and profile updates. I'm stumped....

UPDATE: So I found the answer in the wifi-calling menus and googling that took me to a post here. Apparently starting in April of 2020, Sprint decided it knows what is best for you so it sets calling over the network to preferred and only if signal is too weak will it default to wifi calling. There is no visible option in the phone to change that setting. I had to download Samsung Band app to set it to prefer wifi and bam.... now it is enabled. I'd still like to know WTF the Pebble is doing with VoLTE though.

The VoLTE thing is very annoying. From my conversation with a high level support tech, VoLTE is MANUALLY enabled on all femtocells. So after a reset or initial power up, it goes into a queue, and some engineer or support person starts going through the queue and toggling it on if certain conditions are met. I've had it take as little as 3 days, and as long as 2.5 weeks. It's pretty shocking that they don't have a better way to do this....

My guess is it's something to do with integration into the nearby network, so that macro handoffs are smooth. I've heard that after initially getting enabled on a femto, that future enablings are much faster (1 day or so), but I have mine on battery backups and don't really want to test it... You'd still think that they'd be able to automate this though...

Until a couple months ago, only LTE relay magic boxes got VoLTE. Anything using wired or wifi backhaul didn't. When I reached out to the above tech about this, he said it should work, and then 3 days later I got it enabled. Either he fixed the bug, or it was incredibly coincidental, after many months of not having VoLTE enabled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ingenium said:

The VoLTE thing is very annoying. From my conversation with a high level support tech, VoLTE is MANUALLY enabled on all femtocells. So after a reset or initial power up, it goes into a queue, and some engineer or support person starts going through the queue and toggling it on if certain conditions are met. I've had it take as little as 3 days, and as long as 2.5 weeks. It's pretty shocking that they don't have a better way to do this....

My guess is it's something to do with integration into the nearby network, so that macro handoffs are smooth. I've heard that after initially getting enabled on a femto, that future enablings are much faster (1 day or so), but I have mine on battery backups and don't really want to test it... You'd still think that they'd be able to automate this though...

Until a couple months ago, only LTE relay magic boxes got VoLTE. Anything using wired or wifi backhaul didn't. When I reached out to the above tech about this, he said it should work, and then 3 days later I got it enabled. Either he fixed the bug, or it was incredibly coincidental, after many months of not having VoLTE enabled.

Odd... I escalated as high as I could go, and spoke to a technical supervisor, who told me in no uncertain terms, there is NOTHING that is within their control (in order to enable VoLTE). She told me it is a technical limitation of the device which I said I thought was bullshit. She wanted to leave it at that but I told her I wasn't happy with that answer and wanted an actual explanation as to why they would even offer a product which they had no control over and which took 2-3 weeks to activate fully, and which resets every time the power goes out, and she said she would send my ticket to corporate compliance and they would call me back. I also realized my router is set to reboot once a week which knocks the connection out. I'm wondering if that is causing this Pebble to never activate VoLTE. 

Edited by killerz298

I also realized my router is set to reboot once a week which knocks the connection out. I'm wondering if that is causing this Pebble to never activate VoLTE. 

Yeah that would definitely do it. It keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue.

The guy I spoke to was more in engineering than tech support. He's helped me with a few other issues in the past, so I trust what he says.

Why do you have your router set to reboot weekly? If you have to do that for it to be stable, perhaps look for a new/better router. Mine is at 337 days of uptime. I only reboot when there's an update.

29 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Yeah that would definitely do it. It keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue.

The guy I spoke to was more in engineering than tech support. He's helped me with a few other issues in the past, so I trust what he says.

Why do you have your router set to reboot weekly? If you have to do that for it to be stable, perhaps look for a new/better router. Mine is at 337 days of uptime. I only reboot when there's an update.

I just figured it couldn't hurt for it to have a fresh reboot every week at 4 am on Sunday while not in use. I don't know if it particularly NEEDS that but the point is that any type of power/internet failure knocks the damn VoLTE out for 2-3 weeks which is ridiculous. I'll disable it for now and see if the router becomes unstable.

I just figured it couldn't hurt for it to have a fresh reboot every week at 4 am on Sunday while not in use. I don't know if it particularly NEEDS that but the point is that any type of power/internet failure knocks the damn VoLTE out for 2-3 weeks which is ridiculous. I'll disable it for now and see if the router becomes unstable.
Yeah, agreed, it's pretty ridiculous, but that's typical Sprint for you. I doubt T-mobile will put any work into fixing things like this, since they will want to get rid of B41 femtos to refarm the spectrum. Plus they're moving people to the T-Mobile network anyway. I imagine their CellSpot will work better with VoLTE, with the caveat that it doesn't have as good of range as Sprint femtos (at least the magic box). And/or they'll release a 5G version eventually.

But either way, we likely won't see any changes or improvements to Sprint femtos going forward. If you have a UPS, it's worth putting the Pebble, your router, and modem on it. It's certainly nice to have working internet for a while when the power goes out, and then you won't lose VoLTE either.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, killerz298 said:

Yeah, agreed, it's pretty ridiculous, but that's typical Sprint for you. I doubt T-mobile will put any work into fixing things like this, since they will want to get rid of B41 femtos to refarm the spectrum. Plus they're moving people to the T-Mobile network anyway. I imagine their CellSpot will work better with VoLTE, with the caveat that it doesn't have as good of range as Sprint femtos (at least the magic box). And/or they'll release a 5G version eventually.

But either way, we likely won't see any changes or improvements to Sprint femtos going forward. If you have a UPS, it's worth putting the Pebble, your router, and modem on it. It's certainly nice to have working internet for a while when the power goes out, and then you won't lose VoLTE either.

My router typically only gets rebooted for firmware updates or major functionality changes that I have implemented. Otherwise stays up for years.  Last time it was down is when Hurricane Ike remnants hit Ohio in 2008 and caused week long power outages, which killed local internet in a few days (I have two ISPs, UPSes, generator).  ISP's battery backups and generator use had improved considerably since that time.

Making changes appears to be the greatest reason for router instability. So put internet connections on a UPS,  reboot after major changes, and otherwise enjoy.

• Love 1

I'm trying to switch over to the Airave 4 now that the've enable VoLTE on them. That should fix this problem. The only reason I got the Pebble over the AR4 is because VoLTE wasn't enable on it yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, killerz298 said:

I'm trying to switch over to the Airave 4 now that the've enable VoLTE on them. That should fix this problem. The only reason I got the Pebble over the AR4 is because VoLTE wasn't enable on it yet.

Do it quickly.  My impression is T-Mobile really wants to move people to their network ASAP, even if it causes lots of pain. August 1 is rumored to be the end of Sprint retail.

Yeah VoLTE took forever on Airave 4s, but it's definitely working now. Supposedly it was enabled months ago, but not necessarily for existing devices (only new ones). I had to factory reset mine to get it back in the queue, but after 2.5 weeks it got it. My Magic Box with wired backhaul, on the other hand, got it only 3 days after a factory reset.

It seems that a lot of femtos setup before VoLTE launched never got put back in the queue (particularly femtos using WiFi or Ethernet backhaul), hence the necessary factory reset.

I'm not sure if an Airave 4 would offer substantial coverage improvement over the Pebble, other than having CDMA as a fallback. If you need to cover a larger area, you can use both actually. They should handoff to one another with VoLTE, just keep them sufficiently far apart to minimize interference. And you'll probably have to tell Sprint it's for use at a different address, but they won't actually check where it's deployed.

Yeah VoLTE took forever on Airave 4s, but it's definitely working now. Supposedly it was enabled months ago, but not necessarily for existing devices (only new ones). I had to factory reset mine to get it back in the queue, but after 2.5 weeks it got it. My Magic Box with wired backhaul, on the other hand, got it only 3 days after a factory reset.

It seems that a lot of femtos setup before VoLTE launched never got put back in the queue (particularly femtos using WiFi or Ethernet backhaul), hence the necessary factory reset.

I'm not sure if an Airave 4 would offer substantial coverage improvement over the Pebble, other than having CDMA as a fallback. If you need to cover a larger area, you can use both actually. They should handoff to one another with VoLTE, just keep them sufficiently far apart to minimize interference. And you'll probably have to tell Sprint it's for use at a different address, but they won't actually check where it's deployed.

I definitely don't need more coverage... just the damn VoLTE activated so I can get calls and MMS at the same damn time. Like I said, it isn't a huge deal, just annoying that this is even a problem in the first place. They told me AR4 are out of stock and they have no idea when they'll be back, nor can they put me in touch with someone that knows. They said they just have to keep checking and see if it comes back in stock. Once again, I said that is nonsense, but what can I really do about it. For right now, the Pebble boosting the LTE, and using wifi calling, is working fine for my needs. Much better than the AR2.5 I was using which didn't work at all.

Edited by killerz298

On 5/25/2020 at 7:20 PM, dkyeager said:

Do it quickly.  My impression is T-Mobile really wants to move people to their network ASAP, even if it causes lots of pain. August 1 is rumored to be the end of Sprint retail.

So I got a call back from the compliance department. She told me that AR4 are officially end of life (replaced by the Pebble) due to the T-mobile conversion, and that had I waited around for the other tech to get them in stock, I would have been even more annoyed than I already was. She said Sprint accounts are being provisioned for T-mobile in waves, and mine hasn't been yet (not that I think it will help this situation as the area is a dead zone for all carriers). As for a technical explanation as to why the Pebble takes 3 weeks to activate VoLTE, she said she read the manual they were provided, and it didn't indicate, but she'd look into it and get back to me if it was something she could share. It is more curiosity for me at this point as wifi calling for voice with through the roof LTE for MMS (and not killing my battery all day) is fine for my usage while VoLTE is enabling on the Pebble.

I recently got one of those Sprint pebbles that was sent even though i did not request. i finally set it up after nearly 1 hr of fighting with it. I was wondering:

1. How is this different that Sprint wifi calling ? 

2. Can other sprint users outside of my house piggyback off this pebble ?

3. If I stop using the pebble after a few months, do I need to pay the $70 or is the $70 only apply if you never initially set it up ?

8 hours ago, Swordfish said:

I recently got one of those Sprint pebbles that was sent even though i did not request. i finally set it up after nearly 1 hr of fighting with it. I was wondering:

1. How is this different that Sprint wifi calling ? 

2. Can other sprint users outside of my house piggyback off this pebble ?

3. If I stop using the pebble after a few months, do I need to pay the $70 or is the $70 only apply if you never initially set it up ?

1. Wifi calling directly uses your home's wifi to place the call while the Pebble uses your internet connection to broadcast an LTE signal which your phone uses to place the call (once VoLTE is enabled). Before VoLTE is enabled, you don't place calls through the Pebble, it only boosts data. After 2-3 weeks, VoLTE should be enabled on the Pebble allowing simultaneous voice and MMS which wifi calling doesn't allow mms (but if you have a decent signal you can receive MMS without issue while on a wifi call).

2. Yes, any user can piggyback off the signal but I noticed the footprint isn't that large and didn't extend outside my home. I wouldn't be too concerned with that.

3. If you disconnect the device they will send you warnings that they will charge you if you don't reconnect it or send it back.

Edited by killerz298
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, killerz298 said:

1. Wifi calling directly uses your home's wifi to place the call while the Pebble uses your internet connection to broadcast an LTE signal which your phone uses to place the call (once VoLTE is enabled). Before VoLTE is enabled, you don't place calls through the Pebble, it only boosts data. After 2-3 weeks, VoLTE should be enabled on the Pebble allowing simultaneous voice and MMS which wifi calling doesn't allow mms (but if you have a decent signal you can receive MMS without issue while on a wifi call).

2. Yes, any user can piggyback off the signal but I noticed the footprint isn't that large and didn't extend outside my home. I wouldn't be too concerned with that.

3. If you disconnect the device they will send you warnings that they will charge you if you don't reconnect it or send it back.

Hi killerz-

Thanks for the info. I assume that if I make a call via wifi, texts are still coming in through CDMA without VoLTE.....so the pebble is more useful for texts ? I probably am confused about what VoLTE is. I thought it was another way to use VOIP which was wifi calling ? 

I don't think I understand how it boosts data vs. the regular wifi ? All of the phones that we have now have wifi calling, but I could definitely see how useful this would have been maybe 4+ years ago when I didn't have it. I do see that I have signal now that is strong, so I presume it is working, plus the LED is green.

5 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Hi killerz-

Thanks for the info. I assume that if I make a call via wifi, texts are still coming in through CDMA without VoLTE.....so the pebble is more useful for texts ? I probably am confused about what VoLTE is. I thought it was another way to use VOIP which was wifi calling ? 

I don't think I understand how it boosts data vs. the regular wifi ? All of the phones that we have now have wifi calling, but I could definitely see how useful this would have been maybe 4+ years ago when I didn't have it. I do see that I have signal now that is strong, so I presume it is working, plus the LED is green.

Wifi calling uses your internet connection to route just the the call, not SMS or MMS (thanks Sprint....). VoLTE uses the carrier's LTE data connection to route the call and allows for SMS and MMS at the same time. When on a wifi call, you can still receive SMS and MMS but not if you have a shit cell signal (doesn't even matter if you are on a call or not, with a shit signal you will still have trouble anyway). The Pebble is used to boost your cell signal so your SMS and MMS will be more reliable (and your LTE data connection). For actual internet use, you are correct, you can just use your wifi.

Femtocell for the Home

For the consumer, Femtocells can be used to transform an already existing internet connection into useable cellular service. It may sound counter-intuitive, but there are many people in the United States who have access to high-speed broadband but who are unable to make phone calls from anywhere inside their home, and for people facing that situation, femtocell technology may be their best option.

Here’s why: Femtocells operate like a tiny cellular base station, literally tiny, at about the size of a cordless phone’s base station, and can be easily attached to your home internet network modem. The Femtocell then transforms your home broadband connection into a usable cellular signal that can be used to make phone calls and send and receive SMS text messages.

In a scenario like this, a femtocell system may be the absolute best option, especially for consumers who are unable to utilize Wi-Fi calling with their current contacts and cellular provider. Most individuals, especially those who run a small business from their home, still require a reliable cellular signal in order to handle their affairs, and a Femtocell network can provide 5 bar connectivity from anywhere within the home.

Unfortunately, this cellular connectivity does come at a cost. Because the Femtocell uses the existing broadband to create the cellular signal, there can be a noticeable loss of broadband speed in certain situations where phone calls and web browsing (especially uploading or downloading) behavior is occurring simultaneously. However, if your home office broadband connection is currently 50 Mbps or faster, then your internet connection should remain perfectly steady, even if you decide to use both at the same time.

Edited by killerz298
  • Like 1

I was checking and you are correct, the signal is pretty weak once I get outside the house. I am on my laptop right now and I can see the Sprint pebble as an unsecured open wifi signal when checking the network. Is there anything I need to do with this since it is unsecured or just leave it alone ? Thanks for the info.

I just got a Pebble (MOD-1001-41) AP1000-41

1) Which one is this?

2) The instructions are awful. The Wifi set-up through the Android app doesnt work I can never get passed the Configure part....I get past the selecting wifi part and then when I get the Pebble Status screen I press configure and it never finds the pebble again I get error messages cant find it even though I am on the wifi I selected in the process

....I did plug and play with ethernet next but there is no documentation on how to use it. The user guide doesnt tell you much.

Is ethernet better than wifi?

Once connected. I never get a flashing green light like it said I should. Do I have to leave wifi connected? to which one?

Edited by dashriprock