Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

I snagged an Airave 3 this week thanks to a timely heads up by a friendly S4GRUer! Sounds like inventory is still sparse, but I got lucky. Had to set up an RMA for the broken 2.5 before they would finish processing the new order. Arrived a few days later via UPS Ground and working ok so far. Biggest difference to me so far: the aesthetics. It is much larger than I expected; I knew it was bigger, but it still surprised me. All of the wires connect on the bottom. The data LEDs are on one side of the housing, while the voice LEDs are on the other. None of this is really a problem, just unusual.

-Mike

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bretton88 said:

How do you obtain one of these? I live in an area without B41 so a magicbox isn't an option.

I just called and got one... I decided to use this instead of the MagicBox as I was able to hide it better in my house. It works perfect. There are two models they send the S1000 (that just is LTE only) and the Airave 3 (that does 1xVoice and LTE). Make sure you let them know the one you want. 

• Like 1

What is the difference in the Airrave 3 and the S1000 visually (if any)?  Mine says 'Airave 3 LTE' on the housing but does have a CDMA light on it - but unfortunately it's the only light that won't turn green. 
I had that issue with mine. Multiple calls to support and they couldn't fix it. Ended up sending me a replacement, which worked perfectly after it power cycled itself a few times and got setup. The webui seemed to confirm that the CDMA module was broken or not connected internally.

How long has yours not had functional CDMA? It could take several hours after initial setup for it to be working.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I got my Airave.  Works good.  My neighbor might be able to get a little B41, but not much.  

I haven't turned in my broken MB yet.  Wonder how these two devices would play with each other in the same house.

I was hoping to be a bit more of a B41 carrier for some of the neighbors though if it were to improve speeds.  B25/26 speeds are ~1Mbps here due to the rapid growth of the area.

It is cool that the Airave supports the DFS 5GHz channels, but not upper 5GHz channels.  Oh well.  Think I will use this to replace the guest WiFI (I have had to reflash that router twice this year).

What is the B41 rated wattage wise on the Airaves vs the MagicBox?

1 hour ago, ingenium said:

I had that issue with mine. Multiple calls to support and they couldn't fix it. Ended up sending me a replacement, which worked perfectly after it power cycled itself a few times and got setup. The webui seemed to confirm that the CDMA module was broken or not connected internally.

How long has yours not had functional CDMA? It could take several hours after initial setup for it to be working.

I only got it yesterday as a matter of fact and did the initial physical setup then, but didn't have time to really fully ensure all setup was done until after work today.  Came home and gave it a static IP and added in the port forwards on my router for all the noted UDP's from the insert and rebooted the router afterwards.  LTE/B41 signal is perfect in the house now (were I to rely on that), but I was mainly looking for voice coverage with it as we used the 2.5 for the same, we use the WiFi we already have at home for data.  So, the CDMA issue is a huge one for us.

I'll let it sit until tomorrow after work and then try calling Support after I get home again assuming something doesn't magically change.

I got my Airwave.  Works good.  My neighbor might be able to get a little B41, but not much.  
I haven't turned in my broken MB yet.  Wonder how these two devices would play with each other in the same house.
I was hoping to be a bit more of a B41 carrier for some of the neighbors though if it were to improve speeds.  B25/26 speeds are ~1Mbps here due to the rapid growth of the area.
It is cool that the Airwave supports the DFS 5GHz channels, but not upper 5GHz channels.  Oh well.  Think I will use this to replace the guest WiFI (I have had to reflash that router twice this year).

What is the B41 rated wattage wise on the Airwaves vs the MagicBox?
I have both in the same house. They generally hand off between each other for data. Magic Box is usually preferred over the airave. Calls usually get routed through the macro if I'm on the MB, but not always. If I'm on the Airave calls go through the Airave.

I ensured my MB was using the third carrier as PCC to minimize interference with the Airave (reboot the MB with the Airave active and it should avoid that channel).
I only got it yesterday as a matter of fact and did the initial physical setup then, but didn't have time to really fully ensure all setup was done until after work today.  Came home and gave it a static IP and added in the port forwards on my router for all the noted UDP's from the insert and rebooted the router afterwards.  LTE/B41 signal is perfect in the house now (were I to rely on that), but I was mainly looking for voice coverage with it as we used the 2.5 for the same, we use the WiFi we already have at home for data.  So, the CDMA issue is a huge one for us.
I'll let it sit until tomorrow after work and then try calling Support after I get home again assuming something doesn't magically change.
Same here, I got it just for voice since the macro is too congested. I have a strong signal, but cuts in and out from being overloaded. Try using the CDMA reset pin on the bottom (ensure the CDMA side actually resets via the LEDs) and see if that helps. You may have to try it a few times.

If it's still not working after a couple days of trying, you can likely get Sprint to replace it.

• Like 1

Guys FYI, Sprint does have a policy of only one Airave or MagicBox on an account. I have a feeling they will eventually make you return the MB. The CDMA reset pin does usually clear issues with it...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Try using the CDMA reset pin on the bottom (ensure the CDMA side actually resets via the LEDs) and see if that helps. You may have to try it a few times.

I saw that when I was setting it up, but is that one of those pinhole type resets where you have to use an object to reset? When I tried pressing on it I couldn't feel any give to it, so I'm assuming that's the case, but just making sure.

1 minute ago, PythonFanPA said:

I saw that when I was setting it up, but is that one of those pinhole type resets where you have to use an object to reset? When I tried pressing on it I couldn't feel any give to it, so I'm assuming that's the case, but just making sure.

Yeah you need to use a pin. It's not the yellow one, it's the other one.

1 minute ago, rocketr said:

Guys FYI, Sprint does have a policy of only one Airave or MagicBox on an account. I have a meeting they will eventually make you return the MB. The CDMA reset pin does usually clear issues with it...

I was told the polar opposite by an 'end of the line' Sprint rep when I was trying to get upgraded to the AR3.  He was pushing the MB and I told him based on what I'd read here that you could only have one or the other on an account, and he pointedly said verbatim, "That's not true at all", and after a brief/further discussion proceeded to set me up with an order for an MB before personally transferring me to the Airrave ordering dept.  We'll see what happens down the line I suppose.

I was told the polar opposite by an 'end of the line' Sprint rep when I was trying to get upgraded to the AR3.  He was pushing the MB and I told him based on what I'd read here that you could only have one or the other on an account, and he pointedly said verbatim, "That's not true at all", and after a brief/further discussion proceeded to set me up with an order for an MB before personally transferring me to the Airrave ordering dept.  We'll see what happens down the line I suppose.
I was told this by the booster team. They handle all the orders for Airave and Magicboxes

40 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Yeah you need to use a pin. It's not the yellow one, it's the other one.

Thanks for the reset suggestion, especially the 'you may need to try it a few times' - it's finally working now.

I'm not sure if it prompted an update somehow when it finally connected CDMA, but after 2nd Voice side reset and the other lights reverted to green, CDMA finally lit up as well, for maybe all of 30 seconds at most.  Then suddenly, the entire Data side plus 3/4 Voice lights went flashing red (GPS stayed solid green), and after another few minutes, everything on both sides finally flipped back solid green and has stayed that way ever since. Had to reboot mine and my wife's G5's before I could get a call to go through the AR3 vs the nearest macro 1x800, but finally hit the familiar 3-tone intro trying to call my wife's cell.

5 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

What is the difference in the Airrave 3 and the S1000 visually (if any)?  Mine says 'Airave 3 LTE' on the housing but does have a CDMA light on it - but unfortunately it's the only light that won't turn green. 

scroll down

• Thanks 1

The Airave 3 boxes usually need to take a bunch of firmware updates before they get going and the firmware updates can get hung up. I have a feeling that's why the CDMA issue... once you get through all that in the future they seem to come right up

12 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

When I got my Magic Box, I had to return the Airrave that was dormant on my account

• Like 1

When I got my Magic Box, I had to return the Airrave that was dormant on my account
That was a legacy airave. Some people (myself included) were approved by the booster team to have 2 MBs or a MB and Airave 3, for use at multiple locations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ingenium said:

That was a legacy airave. Some people (myself included) were approved by the booster team to have 2 MBs or a MB and Airave 3, for use at multiple locations.

Yep - as I said before, all I called in for in the first place is the AirRave 3 upgrade.  It was the Sprint rep himself (who referred to himself/his dept as end-of-the-line support before he even knew what I was calling about, and also noted more than once I was a long-time/loyal customer - not sure if or how that may have played in here) that was pushing the MB, and flat out stated it was not true that you could only have either/or on your account when I stated my understanding of that scenario - then proceeded to order the MB for me before personally transferring me to the section who could order the AR3 for me.

If someone contacts me at any point to tell me 'you've got to ship one of them back', I'll post an update here, but this wasn't a scenario I even went in asking for it to happen, and they made a point to make it happen.

Between the two femto cells, is there a difference in 2.5GHz coverage?  Is there any WiFi support differences?  Like the Airave 3 does not support the upper most 5GHz channels, but support the DFS channels.  Is there a MIMO difference? 

I found the spec sheet for the S1000 but it doesn't detail what WiFi specs it supports other than it only does 50mW on WiFi.  LTE is 100mW but says x2.  Does the S1000 support 2 carriers?

20 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:
Between the two femto cells, is there a difference in 2.5GHz coverage?  Is there any WiFi support differences?  Like the Airwave 3 does not support the upper most 5GHz channels, but support the DFS channels.  Is there a MIMO difference? 

I found the spec sheet for the S1000 but it doesn't detail what WiFi specs it supports other than it only does 50mW on WiFi.  LTE is 100mW but says x2.  Does the S1000 support 2 carriers?

Airave

No difference.

No difference.

No difference.

Single carrier.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Between the two femto cells, is there a difference in 2.5GHz coverage?  Is there any WiFi support differences?  Like the Airave 3 does not support the upper most 5GHz channels, but support the DFS channels.  Is there a MIMO difference? 

I turned off the Wifi on mine as I didn't want it conflicting with my home internet wifi.