Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

6 minutes ago, dnwk said:

You need to get another router. There just no other way. Your ISP probably have a limited number of IP to hand out. When A4 grab all of them, the other devices breaks.

No! Its a eero device issue that's preventing us from connecting. If I use another modem/router combo it connects fine. For some reason the eero isn't allowing the Airave to fully connect for some reason.

3 minutes ago, jtrotter54 said:

Ok, so stupid questions, what's a network switch, how does it work and how do I set it up exactly? Sorry, I'm new to some of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

I just got a 4 port one that's Unmanaged by Netgear and it works great!. Just plug power to it and plug the rest of the Ethernet cables to it and it talks to each other. 

Can I ask my ISP for additional IPs? Is this something that can be done? How would getting a second router help?
Your ISP only gives you 1 IP, you don't want or need more for this setup. And you would have to move to a business account with your ISP to get more than 1.

Your Eero is acting as the router. So you need something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HH0W5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R2JoDbH4XR552 is fine. Or you can get one with more ports.

Plug that into your Eero, then plug your TiVo and Airave into it as well. It basically expands the number of ports you have. You can get a switch with more ports if you want. Basically any cheap gigabit switch will be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SeanK_ said:

No! Its a eero device issue that's preventing us from connecting. If I use another modem/router combo it connects fine. For some reason the eero isn't allowing the Airave to fully connect for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

I just got a 4 port one that's Unmanaged by Netgear and it works great!. Just plug power to it and plug the rest of the Ethernet cables to it and it talks to each other. 

I appreciate the Wiki link but can you explain the network switch in layman's terms and post a link to what you purchased.

1 minute ago, ingenium said:

Your ISP only gives you 1 IP, you don't want or need more for this setup. And you would have to move to a business account with your ISP to get more than 1.

Your Eero is acting as the router. So you need something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HH0W5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R2JoDbH4XR552 is fine. Or you can get one with more ports.

Plug that into your Eero, then plug your TiVo and Airave into it as well. It basically expands the number of ports you have. You can get a switch with more ports if you want. Basically any cheap gigabit switch will be fine.

Ok awesome, I'll give it a try. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, jtrotter54 said:

I appreciate the Wiki link but can you explain the network switch in layman's terms and post a link to what you purchased.

An unmanaged switch just provides more physical ethernet paths through which your devices can connect. It doesn't offer IP routing, NAT, QoS, or any other capabilities. 

Ok awesome, I'll give it a try. Thank you!
No problem. For the extra $5 it might be worth getting this one instead https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG108/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=asc_df_B00A121WN6 for the extra 3 ports. Then you don't have to worry about running out of ports. I have several of the managed version of it (adds some features that you don't need) and it works great. I actually have both of the switches that I linked to.

As a general rule of thumb, if it's possible to plug in a device instead of having it use wifi, ALWAYS plug it in.

I can't plug the A4 into me Eero because both ports are taken, one to the cable modem and the other to the main tivo in order for my tivo mini to work through moca. Briefly today my A4 seemed to go all green but then my Eero stopped working. How do I get both to work? Any suggestions? Thank you!
Just to be clear, you're using a standalone cable modem right? And not a modem/router combo? I ask because if it's a combo, you'll have to do things a bit differently (the Eero would be performing something called double NAT, and this may make the Airave have difficulty connecting).

The easiest way to check is to see if there is only 1 Ethernet port on the modem, or if it has multiple. If there are multiple, then it's a combo. If there's just 1, then it's a standalone modem. You can also Google the model number as well.

18 minutes ago, SeanK_ said:

Here is my setup and you'll even see the switch I have. You can get it cheap if its on sale.

https://imgur.com/gallery/m59Ajg3

Thank you for the pictures I ended up purchasing Netgear GS308.

8 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Just to be clear, you're using a standalone cable modem right? And not a modem/router combo? I ask because if it's a combo, you'll have to do things a bit differently (the Eero would be performing something called double NAT, and this may make the Airave have difficulty connecting).

The easiest way to check is to see if there is only 1 Ethernet port on the modem, or if it has multiple. If there are multiple, then it's a combo. If there's just 1, then it's a standalone modem. You can also Google the model number as well.

I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk Cable Modem CM1200 with multiple Ethernet ports but with only modem capabilities. I thought this would solve my port needs and prevent an unused router interfering with my Chromecasts which happened in the past. However, it seems what I needed was my Eero to have additional ports. 

Edited by jtrotter54

1 hour ago, ingenium said:

Ah that's probably why I'm having issues. I'll have to figure out how to remove the double NAT. It would be nice if eero support PPPOE.

Ah that's probably why I'm having issues. I'll have to figure out how to remove the double NAT. It would be nice if eero support PPPOE.
I'm curious what ISP in the US still use PPPoE? If you're using ATT they're using 802.1x with the certificate stored on the gateway. You can setup IP Passthrough on the gateway which will assign the WAN address to your Eero instead of a private address. It still uses the NAT table on the gateway though (so you're handicapped by it's low NAT table), but has none of the side effects of double NAT. You can also plug other devices into the gateway and they'll pull a private address.

There is way to completely bypass the ATT gateway and just use it for the initial 802.1x auth (ie no traffic flows through it), but it's a bit technical and requires a standalone router like an EdgeRouter or pfsense and a managed switch.

53 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I'm curious what ISP in the US still use PPPoE? If you're using ATT they're using 802.1x with the certificate stored on the gateway. You can setup IP Passthrough on the gateway which will assign the WAN address to your Eero instead of a private address. It still uses the NAT table on the gateway though (so you're handicapped by it's low NAT table), but has none of the side effects of double NAT. You can also plug other devices into the gateway and they'll pull a private address.

There is way to completely bypass the ATT gateway and just use it for the initial 802.1x auth (ie no traffic flows through it), but it's a bit technical and requires a standalone router like an EdgeRouter or pfsense and a managed switch.

Centurylink

@SeanK_, @ingenium,

Hoping you guys can help. The Airave  is still not working. Even with the unmanaged switch, still can't keep a solid WAN connection. WAN, L-NET and LTE have no lights after a few days of it trying to connect. My setup is Netgear Nighthawk Cable Modem CM1200 into the Eero, Eero in the Netgear S350 unmanaged switch...eero in port 1 followed by tv, airave and tivo. The only thing else that's different is I have a cable split so 1 cable goes into the modem and another goes into an Arris phone modem.

Edited by jtrotter54

3 hours ago, jtrotter54 said:

@SeanK_, @ingenium,

Hoping you guys can help. The Airave  is still not working. Even with the unmanaged switch, still can't keep a solid WAN connection. WAN, L-NET and LTE have no lights after a few days of it trying to connect. My setup is Netgear Nighthawk Cable Modem CM1200 into the Eero, Eero in the Netgear S350 unmanaged switch...eero in port 1 followed by tv, airave and tivo. The only thing else that's different is I have a cable split so 1 cable goes into the modem and another goes into an Arris phone modem.

This is what I was trying to mention before, for some reason the eero doesn't play nicely with the Airave at all for some reason and won't allow the device to pass the boot up.

You see the yellow Ethernet ports on the back of the Cable Modem right? Plug the Airave into any port instead and then power cycle the Airave again and or factory reset the thing with a little clip or something and allow it to do its thing, it should now connect. 

10 hours ago, SeanK_ said:

This is what I was trying to mention before, for some reason the eero doesn't play nicely with the Airave at all for some reason and won't allow the device to pass the boot up.

You see the yellow Ethernet ports on the back of the Cable Modem right? Plug the Airave into any port instead and then power cycle the Airave again and or factory reset the thing with a little clip or something and allow it to do its thing, it should now connect. 

But now I'm back at the original setup with an unmanaged switch added...Ill try it.

ok, this didn't get it working...the only time it seemed to ever work was when my wifi went down, it like took over and i couldn't get the Eero running until I unplugged the Airave....can anyone help, almost ready to give up 

Hello new here....Just got my Airave 4 and set everything up and everything is green but the C-Net and CDMA lights they are blinking red but I am able to get online with LTE and make phone calls....Are these needed or should I wait overnight and see if anything changes in the morning or reboot?  TIA

Edited by DJStormX

On 6/3/2019 at 1:03 PM, ingenium said:

It's also interesting that the Airave 4 uses hardcoded DNS servers, querying 3 of them at the same time for the final IPsec tunnel. 

Hi ingenium, can you please relay what the Sprint DNS Server hardcoded IPs are?   I need to make exception to them as I generally force all DNS traffic to OpenDNS for security reasons. 

8 minutes ago, jt25741 said:

Hi ingenium, can you please relay what the Sprint DNS Server hardcoded IPs are?   I need to make exception to them as I generally force all DNS traffic to OpenDNS for security reasons. 

So far I've seen 71.252.0.14, 10.192.132.119, and 10.192.4.119. Typically it only uses the first one, but for some lookups, it queries all 3 at the same time, but it only gets a response from 71.252.0.14 (at least on my network). 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ingenium said:

So far I've seen 71.252.0.14, 10.192.132.119, and 10.192.4.119. Typically it only uses the first one, but for some lookups, it queries all 3 at the same time, but it only gets a response from 71.252.0.14 (at least on my network). 

Thank you!