Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

So I have the Voice Pro fired up, but neither line on my account wants to connect to it.  Even with SCP and selecting to use PCS, it doesn't try.  So now I don't know if it's my handset, or the Voice Pro not working.  

Is there supposed to be someplace you can whitelist numbers to connect to it?
Do you pick up LTE at all at home? With some phones, since it's CDMA only, they might have trouble seeing it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

Do you pick up LTE at all at home? With some phones, since it's CDMA only, they might have trouble seeing it.

I do, but it's pretty poor.  My 1x is -103 db, and my LTE signal is -110 db.  Do I need to loose both before I'll be able to pick up the Voice Pro?

I do, but it's pretty poor.  My 1x is -103 db, and my LTE signal is -110 db.  Do I need to loose both before I'll be able to pick up the Voice Pro?
What phone do you have? If you open Signal Check Pro (or free I believe will also work?), do you see both LTE and CDMA? Or just one of them? If you only see LTE, then you need a regular Airave for it to work. If you see both, then the Voice Pro *should* work for voice.

When you see 1x, just to confirm, it's not 1x800 right?

Assuming you see both CDMA and LTE, and it's connected to 1x1900, then an airplane mode toggle when you're right next to it should put you on it right away. Once you connect to it once, the phone should "remember" that that CDMA signal is near that LTE signal and will be more likely to look for it in the future, so airplane mode toggles shouldn't be required again.

You can also try putting your phone in 3G only mode and see if it connects.

If your phone shows a CDMA 1x1900 signal when you're next to it, and an airplane mode toggle or setting it to 3G only doesn't put you on it, then it likely isn't broadcasting for some reason.

On 11/30/2019 at 12:41 PM, ScipioUSA said:

So I have the Voice Pro fired up, but neither line on my account wants to connect to it.  Even with SCP and selecting to use PCS, it doesn't try.  So now I don't know if it's my handset, or the Voice Pro not working.  

Is there supposed to be someplace you can whitelist numbers to connect to it?

I think you're the only one here that has a Voice Pro.

22 hours ago, ingenium said:

What phone do you have? If you open Signal Check Pro (or free I believe will also work?), do you see both LTE and CDMA? Or just one of them? If you only see LTE, then you need a regular Airave for it to work. If you see both, then the Voice Pro *should* work for voice.

When you see 1x, just to confirm, it's not 1x800 right?

Assuming you see both CDMA and LTE, and it's connected to 1x1900, then an airplane mode toggle when you're right next to it should put you on it right away. Once you connect to it once, the phone should "remember" that that CDMA signal is near that LTE signal and will be more likely to look for it in the future, so airplane mode toggles shouldn't be required again.

You can also try putting your phone in 3G only mode and see if it connects.

If your phone shows a CDMA 1x1900 signal when you're next to it, and an airplane mode toggle or setting it to 3G only doesn't put you on it, then it likely isn't broadcasting for some reason.

I have a Moto Z2 Force.

When I open Signal Check Pro, I see 1x800 and LTE 800, along with my WiFi connection.  The LTE connection sometimes changes to eHRPD depending on where I am in the house, and the 1x sometimes changes to 1xRTT.  

So is it bad that I have the 1x800 connection?  

When I cycle airplane mode or try to select PCS from Signal Check Pro it doesn't seem to change anything.  

Thoughts?

5 hours ago, SeanK_ said:

I think you're the only one here that has a Voice Pro.

Huh, I guess I didn't realize that.  Well it's white!  That's about all that seems to separate it from the Airave 4 aside from not having any LTE...

I have a Moto Z2 Force.
When I open Signal Check Pro, I see 1x800 and LTE 800, along with my WiFi connection.  The LTE connection sometimes changes to eHRPD depending on where I am in the house, and the 1x sometimes changes to 1xRTT.  
So is it bad that I have the 1x800 connection?  
When I cycle airplane mode or try to select PCS from Signal Check Pro it doesn't seem to change anything.  
Thoughts?
Selecting PCS from SCP should work. It brings up the Android system dialog to do it. Or at least it works for me on my Pixel. It's possible I guess that Motorola broke that functionality?

Just to double check, you're going to System Shortcuts, Voice Band Mode?

There's no other way to force a phone to switch off of 1x800. It's a known issue with Airaves. The Airave 2.5 had a 1x800 beacon that would make phones switch to 1x1900, but neither the 3 nor 4 have it.

Your only other option would be to go into the debug/engineering screens and disable BC10 CDMA. That will disable 1x800, which might be a problem for you when you're not home if you need the extra coverage that 1x800 offers.

If you feel like being adventurous, you can also build a custom PRL and push it to your phone with QPST (assuming Motorola didn't disable debug on USB like Google does on Pixels). I've done this in the past to prioritize an Airave over everything else.

38 minutes ago, ScipioUSA said:

Huh, I guess I didn't realize that.  Well it's white!  That's about all that seems to separate it from the Airave 4 aside from not having any LTE...

Maybe Tim could help you? He has a few folks to poke at.

38 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Selecting PCS from SCP should work. It brings up the Android system dialog to do it. Or at least it works for me on my Pixel. It's possible I guess that Motorola broke that functionality?

Just to double check, you're going to System Shortcuts, Voice Band Mode?

There's no other way to force a phone to switch off of 1x800. It's a known issue with Airaves. The Airave 2.5 had a 1x800 beacon that would make phones switch to 1x1900, but neither the 3 nor 4 have it.

Your only other option would be to go into the debug/engineering screens and disable BC10 CDMA. That will disable 1x800, which might be a problem for you when you're not home if you need the extra coverage that 1x800 offers.

If you feel like being adventurous, you can also build a custom PRL and push it to your phone with QPST (assuming Motorola didn't disable debug on USB like Google does on Pixels). I've done this in the past to prioritize an Airave over everything else.

So I was trying it that way, but nothing seemed to change.  I was able to definitely switch when I went into the "Radio Info" menu, and then pushing the three dots and "select radio band" option.  

But still no luck.  Moves from 1x800 to 1xRTT.  

I have to wonder if the Voice Pro isn't letting my phone's connect because there are also two Airaves still on my account?  One was shipped back and is yet to be removed, the other is boxed and will head out shortly.  

I'm curious about the custom PRL, but that's beyond anything I have played with.  Also will be getting a replacement handset before too long, so maybe I'll tinker with that one more....

So I was trying it that way, but nothing seemed to change.  I was able to definitely switch when I went into the "Radio Info" menu, and then pushing the three dots and "select radio band" option.  
But still no luck.  Moves from 1x800 to 1xRTT.  
I have to wonder if the Voice Pro isn't letting my phone's connect because there are also two Airaves still on my account?  One was shipped back and is yet to be removed, the other is boxed and will head out shortly.  
I'm curious about the custom PRL, but that's beyond anything I have played with.  Also will be getting a replacement handset before too long, so maybe I'll tinker with that one more....
1xRTT is 1x1900. When it's on that it should be on your Airave.

Hmmm.

Signal Check is saying that the BSL for my 1xRTT is down the road.  Previously when my first Airave was hooked up, it said when I was connected.  

I have to wonder if this thing isn't broadcasting or if I just cannot connect...

Hmmm.
Signal Check is saying that the BSL for my 1xRTT is down the road.  Previously when my first Airave was hooked up, it said when I was connected.  
I have to wonder if this thing isn't broadcasting or if I just cannot connect...

So you are seeing the same BSL on 1xRTT that you saw with your Airave? Is that BSL the same one you see when on 1x800 now?

If you submit a diagnostic report (About > Send Diagnostics within the app) the next time you're on 1xRTT, I can see if there's anything giving any indications behind the scenes. Make sure you out your username on the report.

-Mike

9 hours ago, mikejeep said:

So you are seeing the same BSL on 1xRTT that you saw with your Airave? Is that BSL the same one you see when on 1x800 now?

If you submit a diagnostic report (About > Send Diagnostics within the app) the next time you're on 1xRTT, I can see if there's anything giving any indications behind the scenes. Make sure you out your username on the report.

-Mike

Hey Mike.

Sorry, I wasnt very clear in my previous post.  So the BSL for the 1xRTT is actually the tower down the road. When I had a functional Airave, it was showing my home address.  So SCP detected things properly and knew what was up.  

Interesting enough, we got a pretty heavy snow storm last night.  When I checked my phone this morning, I was connected to the Voice Pro!  It is showing the BSL as my home address, so thats working fine.  I dont know if its because the local tower is messed up from the storm, or if it just took a while to get provisioned, or what.  But at least as of now, I can tell the thing is working.  Hooray! 

Thanks for all of the ideas and input everyone!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 12:03 PM, ScipioUSA said:

Mine is showing that it's connected, but neither of my handsets wants to connect to it.  I really wish it had the location beacon in there to help with that.

I had this problem on the Airave few times and Tech Support had to refresh our devices and even the Airave and it was fine.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:59 PM, SeanK_ said:

I had this problem on the Airave few times and Tech Support had to refresh our devices and even the Airave and it was fine.

Well, both my wife and I have replaced our handsets since this saga started, and so there have been a few profile updates, network resets, etc, and I have done a hard reset on the VoicePro itself. 

But it does sometimes just work, and then everything is fine.  I just wish I could figure out what the magic is...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 2:02 PM, preskitt.man said:

So, as a final closeout to this topic - I did call Sprint back for one final try on getting CDMA to work. The tech I talked to solved the problem in about 5 minutes. Turns out that Sprint had never activated the device. She proceeded to do so, And within about a 1/2 hour, all the lights were green, and I validated I could make a call off the Airave. 

One would think that the unit would come pre-activated. One would think that the setup instructions would include calling Sprint to activate the device. One would think that sometime in my previous calls to Sprint, somebody would have noticed that the device was not activated.

Amazing!

Miracles will never cease. The December Security Update from Samsung fixes the Location timeout issue for the Galaxy S8 on Sprint.  While the description of the fix only mentions security updates and performance enhancement for the camera, the location timeout issue seems fixed. I can now even put my phone in airplane mode, and wifi calling will work. No location timeout.  Whoopee!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently moved to a new house that has no real coverage inside or outside. I had Verizon for 15 years and they didn't seem to concerned about helping me so I switched to Sprint and so far a few road trips and a trip to Mexico and coverage has been good :) Back to the problem at the house. I frequently don't receive calls and text messages struggle to go out or come in. Sprint sent me two different magic boxes but neither could get a signal to be of any use. The tech guy asked about our home network (1 gig up and down fiber) he said I should be using an AIRAVE instead and sent one. They accidentally double shipped so I have an extra one to mail back. I have opened up UDP ports 53, 67, 500, and 4500 on my router (Asus ROG GT-AX11000 router) all lights lock solid green except the LTE light which blinks red. I waited 24 hours before calling tech support and they went through a scripted troubleshooting thing, make sure LAN cable is plugged in, power cycle unit, wait for an hour for a return call. When that didn't fix it they had me hold the reset button for 10 seconds and told me to wait overnight. I did and called the next day because that didn't correct it either. They new tech I talked to had me do exactly the same thing and wanted me to call back the next day again. I really don't want to continue the same troubleshooting steps expecting a different result.

In the meantime I had ASUS check my router to make sure I had it configured according to the instructions that came with the AIRAVE. They confirmed that it was configured correctly. I don't know what the AIRAVE is looking for on the LTE circuit. I don't know if since they sent out two accidentally they configured my account to the 2nd one that was sent but I am kinda at wits end and need someone who is going to look farther into this than the first four steps that tech support has me do. I don't really think its a network issue because when the LAN cable is disconnected another light turns off and then turns back on when its plugged in. I have the black AIRAVE 4 LTE that has six lights on the back. WAN, C-NET, L-NET, GPS, CDMA, and LTE. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 minutes ago, USAFgunner said:

I have opened up UDP ports 53, 67, 500, and 4500 on my router (Asus ROG GT-AX11000 router)

You should not be opening any ports at all.

all lights lock solid green except the LTE light which blinks red.

The Airave 4 has the same spectrum requirements as the Magic Box. If you run your address through the Magic Box address checker and it says ineligible then you are also ineligible for an Airave 4.  

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

You should not be opening any ports at all.

Well that's what the included literature says to do. As far as the other part of your reply, I am just trying what sprint recommended. They said since I am not getting phone coverage it voice and data over IP. I dont really care about internet but I need to be able to receive texts and calls at home.

Screenshot_20200125-163636_Drive.jpg

44 minutes ago, USAFgunner said:

Well that's what the included literature says to do. As far as the other part of your reply, I am just trying what sprint recommended. They said since I am not getting phone coverage it voice and data over IP. I dont really care about internet but I need to be able to receive texts and calls at home.

Screenshot_20200125-163636_Drive.jpg

Have you tried wifi calling?

17 minutes ago, JLevoLTE said:

Have you tried wifi calling?

Yeah that's what we are doing now but it doesnt do anything for texting alot of what my wife does with her clients is through text so file sharing and what not doesnt work reliably. She doesnt want to make her clients add a service they dont want to communicate so we are looking for a fix for that. If we could use wifi for calls and texts I wouldnt even care about this box. Sorry for the long winded response.

Yeah that's what we are doing now but it doesnt do anything for texting alot of what my wife does with her clients is through text so file sharing and what not doesnt work reliably. She doesnt want to make her clients add a service they dont want to communicate so we are looking for a fix for that. If we could use wifi for calls and texts I wouldnt even care about this box. Sorry for the long winded response.

Oh, usually when I'm on wifi calling I'm also able to text as well. Actually testing it with airplane mode on as we speak and it is working fine.. are you using iPhones? Reason I ask is my wife's iPhone doesnt play well with wifi calling most of the time when it comes to texting. I am using the Note 9

Yes she has an iphone and that was the other problem we experienced on wifi calling. For the E911 it has you put in your address which doesnt exist yet apparently. So the only way I could enable wifi calling was to put my old address in which somehow changed the billing address and they shipped the first magic box there. We had never had service with sprint at that address so that is the only way they could have got that address on the account. Price ya pay for moving I guess :)