Jump to content
SeanK_

Official Airave 4 LTE / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 NSC Thread

Recommended Posts

Airave's have been canceled. As far as I know Gen 3 MB is the planned replacement once they enable ethernet backhaul and some type of CDMA module to go along with it.
Incorrect.

Airave 4 is the successor. GEN 3 MB has the option for a CDMA module but it will utilize the ethernet connection.

As the ethernet / wifi alternative backhaul mode is not ready or enabled on the Gen 3, one can see why the Airave 4, which is a close relative of the Gen 3 Magic Box, are not released yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Incorrect.

Airave 4 is the successor. GEN 3 MB has the option for a CDMA module but it will utilize the ethernet connection.

As the ethernet / wifi alternative backhaul mode is not ready or enabled on the Gen 3, one can see why the Airave 4, which is a close relative of the Gen 3 Magic Box, are not released yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
 

So the Airave and Gen 3 MB/CDMA module will co-exist for what reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Airave's have been canceled. As far as I know Gen 3 MB is the planned replacement once they enable ethernet backhaul and some type of CDMA module to go along with it.

Wow ok. Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Wow ok. Interesting.

Tim has the inside scoop, and he knows his stuff. Looks like they will both co-exist, don't know why, since we know Sprint has had issues getting those Airaves built in the past and the new MB will have CDMA option. But looks like new ones are eventually coming down the pipe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Tim has the inside scoop, and he knows his stuff. Looks like they will both co-exist, don't know why, since we know Sprint has had issues getting those Airaves built in the past and the new MB will have CDMA option. But looks like new ones are eventually coming down the pipe.

Ok, I was wondering about that CDMA module. If you had that you wouldn't be able to use Ethernet backhaul since the MB only has one Ethernet port correct? Thanks nexgencpu and lilotimz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So the Airave and Gen 3 MB/CDMA module will co-exist for what reason?

The pending Airave 4 would supposedly be mostly pushed to residential folks who likely have decent home ISP while MBs will be more for business and commercial entities.

 

Ofcourse there's nothing stopping one getting a MB for a home if they want to and vice versa with an Airave 4.

 

 

 

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

The pending Airave 4 would supposedly be mostly pushed to residential folks who likely have decent home ISP while MBs will be more for business and commercial entities.

Any time frame for the release of the Airave 4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Any time frame for the release of the Airave 4?
No TBD. Just like MB Gen 3s ethernet / wifi BH. =(

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Magic Boxes require reasonable macro band 41 signal in a market with enough spectrum to give a carrier to them.  Airaves require ISP service with minimal jitter and GPS and must be in a county with Sprint Macro sites. Each fills a different need.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Airave's have been canceled. As far as I know Gen 3 MB is the planned replacement once they enable ethernet backhaul and some type of CDMA module to go along with it.

Would wait for lilotimz to chime in here for anything definitivie - have read/heard no news that AirRave 4's have been cancelled unless I missed a post somewhere.   Also, Magic Boxes won't work just anywhere like AirRaves would (those of us in Shentel territory for example, unless something has finally changed, can't use them).

 

Edit:  disregard, when I made this reply I didn't know there was an additional page of posts beyond this one :P  Still, my point about areas where Magic Boxes simply wouldn't work would probably still be apropos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the new Airave  that won't broadcast a WIFI access point out yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 7:16 PM, lilotimz said:

No TBD. Just like MB Gen 3s ethernet / wifi BH. =(

Will the MB using ethernet BH function the same as Airave? Could I use it in area that Sprint's MB checker says not available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will the MB using ethernet BH function the same as Airave? Could I use it in area that Sprint's MB checker says not available?
No.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dnwk said:

Is the new Airave  that won't broadcast a WIFI access point out yet?

You can disable the WiFi on the Airave 3 by logging into it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, notsrealinc said:

You can disable the WiFi on the Airave 3 by logging into it.

Is it the newest one? Last one I got doesn't have the option to disable wifi even after login.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last chat with Sprint Support, was told Airave is out of stock.  How often will they restock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is it the newest one? Last one I got doesn't have the option to disable wifi even after login.
You can, I did it on mine. It's just buried in the settings.

Also an option is to put it on a channel that you don't use, and turn the transmit power down all the way. So you can only see/connect to it when you're in the same room basically. Easier to access the config interface again if you need to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dnwk said:

Last chat with Sprint Support, was told Airave is out of stock.  How often will they restock?

They haven't had stock for a while now.They are working on the 4th version now (Airave 4 LTE) but It's been pushed back due to manufacturer issues, so the really short answer is who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dnwk said:

Last chat with Sprint Support, was told Airave is out of stock.  How often will they restock?

It has been refurbs only for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It has been refurbs only for a long time.
And the current software build has fairly serious bugs for older devices (Galaxy S6 or 7 era and Pixel 1) and VoLTE devices, that has been there for 9 months or so now. It basically prevents texts and phone calls from working when the Airave is in range (the phone can not be connected, it just has to be in range). It seems to mess up the IMS APN/EUTRA session. So texts and calls fail on eCSFB dependent devices and devices actively using VoLTE. As to why it affects devices if it's just in range.... I don't know.

My solution to this was to disable just LTE on it, but leave CDMA active, via a firewall rule. It's an ugly hack, but it works. I assume a fix is never coming. It's a shame that they broke this on the last firmware build for it, since it worked on earlier builds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 2:41 PM, ingenium said:

And the current software build has fairly serious bugs for older devices (Galaxy S6 or 7 era and Pixel 1) and VoLTE devices, that has been there for 9 months or so now. It basically prevents texts and phone calls from working when the Airave is in range (the phone can not be connected, it just has to be in range). It seems to mess up the IMS APN/EUTRA session. So texts and calls fail on eCSFB dependent devices and devices actively using VoLTE. As to why it affects devices if it's just in range.... I don't know.

My solution to this was to disable just LTE on it, but leave CDMA active, via a firewall rule. It's an ugly hack, but it works. I assume a fix is never coming. It's a shame that they broke this on the last firmware build for it, since it worked on earlier builds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
 

So, I guess not using it would be better and probably wait for new version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, I guess not using it would be better and probably wait for new version. 
It depends on what phone you have and what you need it for. Do you have an SRLTE capable phone (does Signal Check Pro show both LTE and CDMA info at the same time? If so, then you have an SRLTE phone. If it's just LTE, then you do not)? It so, then it will work fine for LTE and voice as long as you don't turn on VoLTE.

If you do not have an SRLTE capable phone, then skip it and wait for the 4. It will cause more problems unless you want to setup advanced firewall rules, and won't be any good unless your phone can't pickup an LTE signal at all from the closest tower.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airave Gen 4 is available today. Per OKCC rep. referring to an internal email. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fizzicsguy said:

Airave Gen 4 is available today. Per OKCC rep. referring to an internal email. 

Airave 4's are indeed available today!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Airave 4's are indeed available today!


Just placed my order with OKC to swap my 3 for a 4. Thank you both for the heads up!

-Mike
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Similar Content

    • By AcctDeleted_GirlFriday
      I'm stuck having to use an Airave in my apartment because ever since my landlord moved in downstairs and did major renovations, we've not been able to get much if any Sprint signal up here. I hate it because it's 3G only. Is there any chance Sprint will get it together and offer an LTE Airave? I'm guessing not, but it would be cool if they did.
    • By AMejia1976
      Hey all cant find anything searching the Forums. So I am wondering if someone can help me out here.
       
      I currently have a Belkin N750 DB Wifi Dual Band N+ Gigabit Router and an Airave unit. Both units are right next to each other.
       
      My home is about 1500sf ft.
       
      Using both bands on the router; 2.5ghz and 5ghz.
       
      Since PCS is at 1900 I am correct to assume this is close to 2.5gbs aka 2500?
       
      During they day my wireless signal drops to just about nothing that is usable by my TIVO, Note2, Sony 3100 BluRay Player or Wii etc etc etc.
       
      How likelly is it that the 2 units are severely interfering with each other?
       
      What distance should I place one from the other?
       
      Thanks for the feedback.
       
      @l3x
       
    • By ajr0203
      Hello all, I have a question about my sprint airave. The closest tower to my house is approximately 4 miles away if I'm correct. So what I'm wondering is when this tower is eventually upgraded to 4G, will my phone be able to connect to it? Or will my airave being a stronger signal override the 4G signal?
      Side question: are 4G signals stronger or weaker than 3G signals necessarily? Thanks for any insight you guys can supply
    • By halcyoncmdr
      So as we all know Sprint offers the Airave devices to help in-home coverage issues. It requires a high-speed Internet connection and creates a miniature cell site inside your home (femtocell).
       
      Sprint has offered these for free or deeply discounted for quite a while to customers with little to no coverage in their home. The requirements for determining eligibility have changed according to what I've heard. There hasn't been an official communication to retail employees as we don't deal with Airaves directly, so do take it with a grain of salt, and remember it can change again at any time.
       
      This information comes from a conversation with a member on the Airave team that determines customer eligibility to assist our store in providing accurate information to our customers that we refer to their team for coverage issues.
       


      To be eligible for a FREE Airave, the account must have 4+ active lines.
       
      Otherwise, the account is eligible for purchasing the Airave at full retail price ($280), or with a 2-year contract commitment for a discounted price ($130).
       

      My assumption is that since Network Vision is ramping up to full speed and should be completed within the next year or so, the increase in coverage availability from the 800MHz deployment and enhanced capability of the new equipment in general is anticipated to remove the need for Airave devices for most customers.
    • By matt7701
      Hello, just letting you guys know that I did my reset for my airave today and it is using a different set of channels for zip 15235 in Pittsburgh, PA.  Before, it used 75 and 225, and after the reset it now uses 100 and 150.  This may be a response to the users who have had issues with the NV upgrade locally affecting the airave.  Reset yours today and find out!
  • Posts

  • Recently Browsing

×
×
  • Create New...