Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

Just leave it overnight. It does multiple resets and firmware upgrades when you first set it up. It takes about a day to start functioning reliably.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The problem is that it's already been a day, and still no sign of improvement. I'll give it more time and see I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The problem is that it's already been a day, and still no sign of improvement. I'll give it more time and see I guess.

As long as it's still cycling on it's own, it's almost certainly still doing updates.

• Like 1

So I was having issues with my Pixel refusing to grab the CDMA side of the Airave 3 at my house when there was even the slightest 1x800 macro signal to connect to.. suddenly those issues are gone. As long as I'm connected to the LTE side of the Airave, when I make a call it grabs the CDMA side instead of dropping back to the weak macro site connection. Oddly, if I force my Pixel into 3G mode, it still typically grabs the 1x800 macro site (but EV-DO is definitely coming from the Airave) and doesn't want to let go.

I'm guessing there was an Airave software update that changed this behavior recently. It's so much better now!

-Mike

31 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Is the CDMA side of the LTE 3 supposed to have 1- or 2-way hadoffs to the macro sites?  Just like the old Airaves, for me it seems to drop calls when you come into or walk away from it.

It has one way handoff from the Airave to the Macro network but not the other way around. Actually for me when I come in to Airave coverage from macro coverage it drops the call. 

As long as it's still cycling on it's own, it's almost certainly still doing updates.

Still no improvement for my airave. It keeps cycling on both sides. At most I get around 10 minutes where everything is green and fine, then it cycles. After a long while, the net and lte lights will go solid red on the data side, and the wan on the CDMA side will go solid red. Then after some more time, it will cycle again, rinse, and repeat. I'm at a loss as to how to get this thing working. Putting it in front of my router is not an option, due to the placement of my router. I do have a sprint airave tech calling tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful that this thing will work.

3 hours ago, travisc said:

Still no improvement for my airave. It keeps cycling on both sides. At most I get around 10 minutes where everything is green and fine, then it cycles. After a long while, the net and lte lights will go solid red on the data side, and the wan on the CDMA side will go solid red. Then after some more time, it will cycle again, rinse, and repeat. I'm at a loss as to how to get this thing working. Putting it in front of my router is not an option, due to the placement of my router. I do have a sprint airave tech calling tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful that this thing will work.

Can you tell me a little about your network? I have a feeling something is dropping the VPN tunnel to Sprint. 

Have you set it up with the GPS antenna properly placed?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Can you tell me a little about your network? I have a feeling something is dropping the VPN tunnel to Sprint. 
It's a typical home network. Motorola modem that feeds comcast internet to an asus router. Airave is airave is hardwired to the router. I opened up the ports on the router mentioned in the startup guide.

Have you set it up with the GPS antenna properly placed?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GPS lock seems to be fine. I have the antenna on the window sill laying flat.

Ask for an exchange then. 
I do have an airave tech calling me tomorrow morning to try and figure out what's going on. When I get off work tonight, i'm going to unplug my router and hook the airave directly behind the modem and see if it connects and stays connected, to rule out hardware failure. Most likely will be asking for an exchange if all else fails.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:11 PM, rocketr said:

It has one way handoff from the Airave to the Macro network but not the other way around. Actually for me when I come in to Airave coverage from macro coverage it drops the call. 

How about LTE? Does that side handoff (thinking Calling Plus here...)

Quick question, does anybody use comcast as their ISP? Could they be blocking ports that need to be open?

Comcast shouldn't be blocking it. From the way you described it, it sounds like possibly the UDP NAT connection timeout could be too low on your router, resulting in the VPN tunnel being dropped. That, or it's a defective device. Timeout settings are an advanced setting in routers, and I don't think most make it accessible. The defaults for most routers should be fine though, unless you're doing lots of torrents or P2P that utilizes lots of connections (which would cause the lookup table to get full and drop the VPN connection)
How about LTE? Does that side handoff (thinking Calling Plus here...)
It should, LTE should be seamless handoffs.

Update: It's a miracle! I don't know what I did, but it's been up with no disconnects now for over a day. I tried it without the router directly hooked into the modem overnight a couple nights ago to no avail. Then tried with a different router I had lying around, to no avail. Fed up, I hooked up my main router again, reset both sides of the airave, again, and left it. Now it finally is fully connected and hasn't dropped, that I can tell. I've never had so much difficulty in getting a piece of hardware running. Crossing fingers it stays this way. Now comes the task of placing it where I need to after I run new ethernet, and hoping I don't have the same problems again.

• Like 2

Update: It's a miracle! I don't know what I did, but it's been up with no disconnects now for over a day. I tried it without the router directly hooked into the modem overnight a couple nights ago to no avail. Then tried with a different router I had lying around, to no avail. Fed up, I hooked up my main router again, reset both sides of the airave, again, and left it. Now it finally is fully connected and hasn't dropped, that I can tell. I've never had so much difficulty in getting a piece of hardware running. Crossing fingers it stays this way. Now comes the task of placing it where I need to after I run new ethernet, and hoping I don't have the same problems again.

Edit: I got my hopes up too soon. I came home tonight to find the airave back to cycling its self again. I think i'm going to try for an exchange and see if that makes a difference.

I disabled nat acceleration and put it in the DMZ. I'll leave it overnight and see if that works.

1 minute ago, travisc said:

Edit: I got my hopes up too soon. I came home tonight to find the airave back to cycling its self again. I think i'm going to try for an exchange and see if that makes a difference.

I disabled nat acceleration and put it in the DMZ. I'll leave it overnight and see if that works.

I doubt it is the router.  We have very sophisticated firewall at our office and Airave worked fine behind it.  This was last week we installed our Airave. 

11 minutes ago, JG001 said:

Hi. How Can I get ahold  of an Airave 3 LTE for   prepaid accounts. The Airave 3 LTE is really needed at my location. Thank you.

It is not available. You would need to go to postpaid to get one. 

On 12/5/2017 at 5:18 PM, ingenium said:

It SHOULD work as long as both NATs handle UDP connections correctly. The Airave sets up 2 outgoing IPSec VPN tunnels using the standard ports, one for CDMA and one for LTE. UDP NAT timeouts tend to be lower than TCP, but as long as the airave sends or receives a packet every minute or so it should be fine. I think UDP NAT entries tend to be cleared after 1-5 minutes of no activity. I imagine this is already done to prevent NAT from clearing the connection thinking it's finished.

A second NAT shouldn't be any more problematic than single NAT in this regard, so you should be fine.

I was able to get Sprint to send the Airave 3 to my mom's house and hooked it up a week ago. Setup was pretty straightforward once I found a place out of the way where all the cords would reach and I could get a GPS lock with the included puck. (My only peeve: the power cord could stand to be a bit longer.)

So far even though she has a pretty cruddy broadband connection (10/1), which I'm sure would disappoint anyone who gets close enough to her house to connect to the band 41 signal, it seems to be working fine for data, voice, and SMS indoors, even on the LAN side of the router (even though she appears to be triple NATed!).

When VoLTE is 100% implemented on Sprint some day, will LTE call handoffs to and from the macro network work with the Airave? 

From what I understand, handoffs do not work in all scenarios over 1x CDMA on the Airave currently. 

When VoLTE is 100% implemented on Sprint some day, will LTE call handoffs to and from the macro network work with the Airave? 
From what I understand, handoffs do not work in all scenarios over 1x CDMA on the Airave currently. 
1x hands off from an Airave to the macro network, but not the other way around. VoLTE will handoff in both directions. Calling+ does this now.