Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

Dang.  WiFi is only 50mW. With the the location it is in, it provides good coverage still for the guest WiFi.

rocketr, I actually run two APs. I use 5GHz only and have both on separate channels. One for myself and one for guests. Gives me a bit more flexibility in being able to make rules so things like printers can still be accessed from the guest network. Going to use the Airwave as the new guest AP.

Dang.  WiFi is only 50mW. With the the location it is in, it provides good coverage still for the guest WiFi.

rocketr, I actually run two APs. I use 5GHz only and have both on separate channels. One for myself and one for guests. Gives me a bit more flexibility in being able to make rules so things like printers can still be accessed from the guest network. Going to use the Airwave as the new guest AP.
It's also called an Airave not airwave.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got an Airave 3 last Friday and it works very well, however there is 1 issue I appear to be having.

I am sometimes getting duplicate texts (SMS) (2 or 3 of the same message). It appears to only be from Verizon users from my limited testing.

Anyone else noticing this??

1 hour ago, though said:

Got an Airave 3 last Friday and it works very well, however there is 1 issue I appear to be having.

I am sometimes getting duplicate texts (SMS) (2 or 3 of the same message). It appears to only be from Verizon users from my limited testing.

This is a Verizon issue I have experienced and I’d guess that it’s unrelated to the Airave. 

2 hours ago, though said:

I've had this on and off over the years with Sprint, it comes and goes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, burnout8488 said:

Does MMS (Picture messages) go over LTE on an iPhone? I forgot. SMS does, can't remember if non-iMessage picture messages do though.

Doesn't SMS still go through 1x on iPhones? Sending an SMS on an iPhone 7 take 3-4 seconds longer than it does on Androids that send SMS thru LTE. iPhones also take longer to receive as well.

1 hour ago, greenbastard said:

Doesn't SMS still go through 1x on iPhones? Sending an SMS on an iPhone 7 take 3-4 seconds longer than it does on Androids that send SMS thru LTE. iPhones also take longer to receive as well.

Basic SMS text to a single recipient is very quick on my iPhone. I believe it was stated that they use LTE for this a year or two ago. I guess there’s few ways to test this, though. Perhaps someone with an LTE-only S1000 can check? (Assuming there is no native 1x macro signal in their location) 

15 hours ago, RAvirani said:

SMS goes over LTE on iPhones. Go to Settings > General > About and tap the Carrier field until you see IMS Status. When on LTE, it should say SMS. 

This is something my iPhone has never shown for some reason, despite messages sending over LTE quickly. I do not get IMS status unless I'm on Wi-Fi calling. 

In any case, I'm happy to get an Airave 3 in two of my family member's homes. Wi-Fi calling works, but sending iMessages still relies on the weak cellular signal and is extremely slow for them. I'm going to be disabling Wi-Fi calling on their devices. Having MMS, SMS, and iMessage through LTE on the Airave will complete everything and make messaging a non-issue moving forward. (Since MMS doesn't go through Wi-Fi calling at all) 

Plus, they'll have HD voice working when they're on the macro network again! 

Is the macro site 1x800? This happens with my Airave 3. I force it to 3G mode, then go in a corner of my basement where the 800 macro site completely loses signal.. once that happens, it will flip to the Airave and won't let go until you go out of range. It's disappointing. The old Airave had a 1x800 beacon that prevented this issue.

-Mike

On 11/15/2017 at 8:43 PM, mikejeep said:

Is the macro site 1x800? This happens with my Airave 3. I force it to 3G mode, then go in a corner of my basement where the 800 macro site completely loses signal.. once that happens, it will flip to the Airave and won't let go until you go out of range. It's disappointing. The old Airave had a 1x800 beacon that prevented this issue.

-Mike

It is. However, their parents' house a quarter mile CLOSER to the macro site has an Airave 3, and calls go over 1x perfectly. I'll go over to his house today and re-check, maybe it needed a SW update. It was only online for 20min when I tested. 

Both homes have been using the Airave as a Wi-Fi router as well now. At the parents' house, it's needed a reboot when Wi-Fi gets dodgy, but has since been fine. Every device connects at healthy 802.11ac speeds. But, I've heard complaints of them losing signal in the middle of Netflix streams, or trying to watch a video on their iPhones. Hopefully they won't need to buy a separate router - worst case I can just flash their Wi-Fi Connect routers to get rid of the Sprint firmware and run it in tandem with the Airave. 

I found that the airave wifi crawls for a bit shortly after it's booted (likely it's still booting internally for a while after first broadcasting a signal) and when using a lot of LTE data. Basically, I think it gets CPU limited and wifi or general routing is the first thing to get cut (lower CPU scheduling priority perhaps).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TMobile lists the max number of concurrent users for their Cellspot and Signal booster. I think the cell spot only supports 8 users on LTE. Does the Airave have the same thing?

http://www.commscope.com/NewsCenter/PressReleases/Airvana-S1000-Small-Cell-Wins-Emerging-Technology-Award-at-CTIA-2015/

"The Airvana S1000 provides cost-effective indoor voice and data coverage and capacity for small and medium business locations. With a capacity of 16 active LTE users, it allows mobile network operators to deploy in locations with high usage and user density. "[\quote]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Airave 3 copes with Double NAT situations OK? My mom's house is in a bit of a coverage black hole for Sprint, about equidistant from 3 macro sites and in a bit of a hollow, so the Airave 3 would make sense there. But her broadband connection & cable is provided by the neighborhood association and there's at least two layers of NAT involved - her cable modem gets a single 10.x.y.z address on the WAN port and then of course within the house there's a router with a more typical 192.168.y.z setup on the LAN side. I assume there's no more translation on the way up based on traceroute, but who knows?

Any experience with the Airave in this situation? She's currently not using a smartphone so the Magic Box wouldn't help her yet - it'd help me when I visit though, and I might eventually get her onto a smartphone at some point. But for now the Airave 3 seems to be the way to go if it'll work.

Does anyone know if the Airave 3 copes with Double NAT situations OK? My mom's house is in a bit of a coverage black hole for Sprint, about equidistant from 3 macro sites and in a bit of a hollow, so the Airave 3 would make sense there. But her broadband connection & cable is provided by the neighborhood association and there's at least two layers of NAT involved - her cable modem gets a single 10.x.y.z address on the WAN port and then of course within the house there's a router with a more typical 192.168.y.z setup on the LAN side. I assume there's no more translation on the way up based on traceroute, but who knows?
Any experience with the Airave in this situation? She's currently not using a smartphone so the Magic Box wouldn't help her yet - it'd help me when I visit though, and I might eventually get her onto a smartphone at some point. But for now the Airave 3 seems to be the way to go if it'll work.

It SHOULD work as long as both NATs handle UDP connections correctly. The Airave sets up 2 outgoing IPSec VPN tunnels using the standard ports, one for CDMA and one for LTE. UDP NAT timeouts tend to be lower than TCP, but as long as the airave sends or receives a packet every minute or so it should be fine. I think UDP NAT entries tend to be cleared after 1-5 minutes of no activity. I imagine this is already done to prevent NAT from clearing the connection thinking it's finished.

A second NAT shouldn't be any more problematic than single NAT in this regard, so you should be fine.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lordsutch said:

If it has problems, most routers and cable modems that use NAT tables have the ability to put a device in the DMZ so that they do not go through the NAT layer on that device.

• Like 1

So I'm having major issues with my airave 3 lte that came yesterday. At first it wouldn't get connected to either CDMA or lte. I setup the port forwards suggested in the quick start guide. I did multiple resets on both sides (the pin resets) to no avail. Got a hold of sprint, and figured out that a line hadn't been connected to it yet. Once that got sorted out, it now will connect, but only briefly. Essentially it just keeps cycling on both sides over and over again. I've tried multiple resets again, but I'm not getting anywhere with it.

Anybody have any advice on getting this thing up and running? I dread calling sprint and waiting on hold for hours on end. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So I'm having major issues with my airave 3 lte that came yesterday. At first it wouldn't get connected to either CDMA or lte. I setup the port forwards suggested in the quick start guide. I did multiple resets on both sides (the pin resets) to no avail. Got a hold of sprint, and figured out that a line hadn't been connected to it yet. Once that got sorted out, it now will connect, but only briefly. Essentially it just keeps cycling on both sides over and over again. I've tried multiple resets again, but I'm not getting anywhere with it.

Anybody have any advice on getting this thing up and running? I dread calling sprint and waiting on hold for hours on end. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just leave it overnight. It does multiple resets and firmware upgrades when you first set it up. It takes about a day to start functioning reliably.