Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

I think previous Airave. (From Airave 2 age), Calls started at Airave could transfer to Macro site. I don't think Airave 4 could transfer call back to Macro site.

From https://sprint.com/airave:

Do wireless calls initiated on the Sprint AIRAVE continue once the user leaves the AIRAVE coverage area?

* Calls that originate on the AIRAVE will automatically try to transfer, hand-off, to the Nationwide Sprint Network if a strong network signal is available to transfer to. Hand-off is not guaranteed due to Network availability, signal strength, and interference.

Does a wireless call that starts outside of the Sprint AIRAVE coverage area transfer to the AIRAVE when the user enters the coverage area?

* No. Calls that are initiated on the Nationwide Sprint Network will continue on the Nationwide Sprint Network, even though you may be within the AIRAVE coverage area.

-Mike
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Yeah just wait some time. Once they scan the airave back in, the systems will remove it from your account.

I think it took a few weeks for my returned Gen 2 MBs to be removed from my account.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I sent you a pm. My Airave 4 is still blinking red LTE and calls are not working. Airave support has been dismal none are aware of the configuration error you mentioned and are zero help. 

29 minutes ago, jcable2 said:

I sent you a pm. My Airave 4 is still blinking red LTE and calls are not working. Airave support has been dismal none are aware of the configuration error you mentioned and are zero help. 

Got the PM. Responded with a one request but I''ll be forwarding yours and another individuals S/N and status to the relevant folks to troubleshoot in a bit. 

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

Got the PM. Responded with a one request but I''ll be forwarding yours and another individuals S/N and status to the relevant folks to troubleshoot in a bit. 

I also PMed you S/N and MAC address.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:59 AM, lilotimz said:

GPS cable is rolled up approximately 30' long.

The slot is on the right of the unit facing forward which is quite an awkward spot since you have this cable just coming out from the side. Much prefer it on the back.

So my family members receive their A4 and I set it up this morning.  A few notes and observations:

-The reason they ordered the A4 is because in some areas of their residence, they get 2 bars and in other areas, they get no service.

-After about 45 minutes, all 6 lights were on solid green.  During the boot up process, the GPS light was flashing red for a very long time and I was a bit worried that that part would fail, but it all worked out in the end.

-The A4 is located in a room that gets 2 bars from the macro site, but it happens to be where internet router is located.

-After the set up was complete, my phone stayed connected to the macro site, even after several airplane mode toggles and restarts to my phone,  My phone only connected to the A4 after I moved to an area of the residence that gets no service from the macro site.  So, right now, when I walk around the residence, my phone switches back and forth between the macro site and the A4 (at least not while on a call).  Has anyone else experienced this?  Shouldn't the phone connect to the A4 when it is right in front of it?  Will connection to the A4 while in the residence improve over time?

-Also, even though all lights including the LTE light are solid green, I wasn't able to get working LTE on my phone.  I thought a solid green light means that it is good to go?  Could it be that even thought it is solid green, something is blocking data from flowing?  Could this work itself out over time?

Thanks for any insight!

My Pixel on the A3 was the same way, would hang onto fringe signal if it could connect to it. Wouldn't shake unusable 1X800 unless it completely disappeared. The only way to know if you're on 1x800 is to check engineering screens or an app like SignalCheck.

-Mike

So my family members receive their A4 and I set it up this morning.  A few notes and observations:
-The reason they ordered the A4 is because in some areas of their residence, they get 2 bars and in other areas, they get no service.
-After about 45 minutes, all 6 lights were on solid green.  During the boot up process, the GPS light was flashing red for a very long time and I was a bit worried that that part would fail, but it all worked out in the end.
-The A4 is located in a room that gets 2 bars from the macro site, but it happens to be where internet router is located.
-After the set up was complete, my phone stayed connected to the macro site, even after several airplane mode toggles and restarts to my phone,  My phone only connected to the A4 after I moved to an area of the residence that gets no service from the macro site.  So, right now, when I walk around the residence, my phone switches back and forth between the macro site and the A4 (at least not while on a call).  Has anyone else experienced this?  Shouldn't the phone connect to the A4 when it is right in front of it?  Will connection to the A4 while in the residence improve over time?
-Also, even though all lights including the LTE light are solid green, I wasn't able to get working LTE on my phone.  I thought a solid green light means that it is good to go?  Could it be that even thought it is solid green, something is blocking data from flowing?  Could this work itself out over time?
Thanks for any insight!
For mine it took about 1-2 days before phones would even see it in neighbors. Then they started connecting to it about a day later. Basically, I think there's some sort of automatic integration that has to go occur at the network level. I say this because when it was finished, my MB had changed PCIs. I think anytime a device like this comes online, all the others like it in an area change PCIs. Small cells behave the same way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ingenium said:

For mine it took about 1-2 days before phones would even see it in neighbors. Then they started connecting to it about a day later. Basically, I think there's some sort of automatic integration that has to go occur at the network level. I say this because when it was finished, my MB had changed PCIs. I think anytime a device like this comes online, all the others like it in an area change PCIs. Small cells behave the same way.

Thank you!  After my initial experience when the A4 was first set up and my phone did not stay consistently connected to it, I went back to their residence about 5 hours later (and I also updated the profile & PRL on my phone) and my phone latched on and stayed connected to the A4 for the entire time I was there (about 2 hours).  During my initial experience 5 hours earlier, I made a Sprint to Sprint test call on the A4 and HD Voice was not working (HD Voice does work in their area on the macro network).  I forgot to make a test call during the time I was there 5 hours later.  Does the A4 support HD Voice for Sprint to Sprint calls? 

Does the A4 support HD Voice for Sprint to Sprint calls? 

I don't believe so. None of the Airaves have. I also heard that 1x HD Voice does not work on any device which supports VoLTE (including devices which support it but don't have it enabled yet, such as the S9). It has something to do with the way calls are routed in the backend, VoLTE capable devices are routed differently than non-VoLTE ones.

Ok I've now set up my third A4 and it doesn't seem to be getting a WAN connection. The WAN light is blinking green (same sequence of lights after about 12 hours). It's plugged in directly to my Netgear cable modem (which is not a router, just a modem). Can anyone assist? Thank you in advance.

It turns out that my GS7 connects to the A4 no problem along with an iPhone 6, but there is another iPhone 6 in the family that does not connect to the A4 consistently.  The 1st iPhone 6 was initially having problems, but perhaps updating the carrier settings helped (it says "Sprint 36.1")?  The 2nd iPhone 6 also says "Sprint 36.1" on the "carrier settings".  First of, is 36.1 in fact the latest?  Not sure why one iPhone 6 connects consistently and the other doesn't? 

On 5/21/2019 at 4:03 PM, ingenium said:

The LTE side does not do a DNS lookup, and uses the hardcoded IP 68.31.0.1. So setup a firewall rule to block access from the Airave IP to 68.31.0.1. Then power cycle the Airave. The LTE side will be unable to connect, leaving you with CDMA only.

So I put in the filter and unfortunately, it did not stop it from connecting up to LTE on reboot.  Just for kicks, I did try blocking 68.31.0.* and 68.31.*.*, but that only stopped the CDMA side from establishing a connection :/.  Guess I am going to have to do a packet capture and see where the heck it is getting its info on boot.

Or maybe better yet, see if I can get Sprint to send me an MB Gold with the 1xRTT boost module... I am getting 60mbit/5mbit consistently now on my MB3.

So I put in the filter and unfortunately, it did not stop it from connecting up to LTE on reboot.  Just for kicks, I did try blocking 68.31.0.* and 68.31.*.*, but that only stopped the CDMA side from establishing a connection :/.  Guess I am going to have to do a packet capture and see where the heck it is getting its info on boot.
Or maybe better yet, see if I can get Sprint to send me an MB Gold with the 1xRTT boost module... I am getting 60mbit/5mbit consistently now on my MB3.
I would be really curious to see your packet captures. 68.28.x.x is CDMA on my Airave 3 and 4, and 68.31.x.x is LTE (and wifi calling). It seems like yours doesn't fit that in CDMA nor LTE. Definitely report back the IPs that you discover.

You can also let it power on and dump the state table on your firewall. Look for the two connections on UDP port 4500. That's a quick and easy way to grab the IPs.

• Like 1

Ok I've now set up my third A4 and it doesn't seem to be getting a WAN connection. The WAN light is blinking green (same sequence of lights after about 12 hours). It's plugged in directly to my Netgear cable modem (which is not a router, just a modem). Can anyone assist? Thank you in advance.
If it doesn't get a WAN green light then it's likely a faulty unit. Get a replacement on that case.

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

If it doesn't get a WAN green light then it's likely a faulty unit. Get a replacement on that case.

I think its the settings because that would be a 4th unit (with the first one being unable to register).

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2019 at 5:29 AM, jtrotter54 said:

The A4 has 2 MAC address. One for CDMA and one for LTE. I know this because I use it in my office network. All the MAC address has to be whitelisted. The MAC address on the label is only one of it. The other MAC address is either 1 up or 1 down. I don't remember.

So for Airave 4 to work, your modem need to be able to provide 2 IP address to A4. If you plug it directly into a cable modem, it is very likely your ISP doesn't want to supply 2 IP address. So, try to put a router in front of it.

I can't plug the A4 into me Eero because both ports are taken, one to the cable modem and the other to the main tivo in order for my tivo mini to work through moca. Briefly today my A4 seemed to go all green but then my Eero stopped working. How do I get both to work? Any suggestions? Thank you!

6 minutes ago, dnwk said:

The A4 has 2 MAC address. One for CDMA and one for LTE. I know this because I use it in my office network. All the MAC address has to be whitelisted. The MAC address on the label is only one of it. The other MAC address is either 1 up or 1 down. I don't remember.

So for Airave 4 to work, your modem need to be able to provide 2 IP address to A4. If you plug it directly into a cable modem, it is very likely your ISP doesn't want to supply 2 IP address. So, try to put a router in front of it.

I can't plug the A4 into me Eero because both ports are taken, one to the cable modem and the other to the main tivo in order for my tivo mini to work through moca. Briefly today my A4 seemed to go all green but then my Eero stopped working. How do I get both to work? Any suggestions? Thank you!

9 minutes ago, jtrotter54 said:

I have the same setup but I have a network switch to expand my network. I ended up having to put the Airave before the eero with my modem and it works without any issues. Try that.

I don't know why it doesn't work within the eero network, even opening ports doesn't work. (I might open a ticket with eero support)

Just now, SeanK_ said:

I have the same setup but I have a network switch to expand my network. I ended up having to put the Airave before the eero with my modem and it works without any issues. Try that.

I don't know why it doesn't work within the eero network, even opening ports doesn't work. (I might open a ticket with eero support)

You need to get another router. There just no other way. Your ISP probably have a limited number of IP to hand out. When A4 grab all of them, the other devices breaks.

1 minute ago, SeanK_ said:

Ok, so stupid questions, what's a network switch, how does it work and how do I set it up exactly? Sorry, I'm new to some of this.

3 minutes ago, dnwk said:

You need to get another router. There just no other way. Your ISP probably have a limited number of IP to hand out. When A4 grab all of them, the other devices breaks.

Can I ask my ISP for additional IPs? Is this something that can be done? How would getting a second router help?