Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

Hi all, I am looking into the Airave 4 for family members of mine at another location and they have an ISP (Optimum) provided router.  The set up seems to be pretty much "plug-n-play", but I noticed that the QS guide says "if on network, open UDP ports 53, 67, 500 & 4500 bi-directionally".  Has anyone had to actually change any settings on their router to "open UDP ports"?  
Just plug it in and it should work.

Unless you have some high security business / enterprise level router / firewall solution, you will not likely need to adjust settings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My parents just got an Airave 4 and while I've not been there to tinker with it, my mom informs me that she has green lights except for GPS and CDMA which are red.  I had her plug in the separate GPS antenna and place it near the window (and I had her flip it over since I think she had it upside down to start) and then pull the power/plug it back in, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  Any ideas for other things she might try?

- Trip

My parents just got an Airave 4 and while I've not been there to tinker with it, my mom informs me that she has green lights except for GPS and CDMA which are red.  I had her plug in the separate GPS antenna and place it near the window (and I had her flip it over since I think she had it upside down to start) and then pull the power/plug it back in, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  Any ideas for other things she might try? - Trip

You have to do a hard reset of the unit using the reset push pin next to ethernet port. 

https://imgur.com/YXdTwP2

My parents just got an Airave 4 and while I've not been there to tinker with it, my mom informs me that she has green lights except for GPS and CDMA which are red.  I had her plug in the separate GPS antenna and place it near the window (and I had her flip it over since I think she had it upside down to start) and then pull the power/plug it back in, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  Any ideas for other things she might try?

- Trip

CDMA likely needs GPS to come online. Are there any obstructions outside the window that might block the signal? If so, she might want to try a different window. I'd also have her unplug it and plug it back in to make sure it's in securely. When I plugged my antenna in, it got a GPS lock within a minute.

Worst case, have her power cycle it and let it sit overnight. New satellites will pass overhead that it might have better luck locking onto. Once it gets a lock, I don't think it needs to get it again until it's power cycled.

Edit: is LTE up? If so, there's also a possibility that your router is only allowing each MAC address to have a single IP. I think I've seen a few routers configured that way before

The LTE light is green, but I don't know if it's actually providing a connection.

I've asked her to try replugging the GPS antenna and then do a hard reset.  She's going to try tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.

- Trip

9 hours ago, ingenium said:

If so, there's also a possibility that your router is only allowing each MAC address to have a single IP. I think I've seen a few routers configured that way before

I was thinking about this, and the router is a Buffalo router running DD-WRT, as I recall.  Is there any way to tell for certain if DD-WRT is the issue, and if it is, any way to change DD-WRT's behavior?

- Trip

16 hours ago, Member21 said:

Hi all, I am looking into the Airave 4 for family members of mine at another location and they have an ISP (Optimum) provided router.  The set up seems to be pretty much "plug-n-play", but I noticed that the QS guide says "if on network, open UDP ports 53, 67, 500 & 4500 bi-directionally".  Has anyone had to actually change any settings on their router to "open UDP ports"?  

Yes, those ports need to be open.  Sometimes handled automatically.  Some ISPs will allow you to access the router to make these type of changes, others will not, but then they typically allow you to go to a modem setup where you provide the router (which can be the Airave which I believe also offers WiFi).  Typically you would want the ISP provided router to allow a sort-of bridge mode, have a DMZ port, or enable you to open up those ports.  Another option sometimes offered is being able to buy an IP address.

A key item for further discussion is the exact manufacturer and model number of said router.

17 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Just plug it in and it should work.

Unless you have some high security business / enterprise level router / firewall solution, you will not likely need to adjust settings.

1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

Yes, those ports need to be open.  Sometimes handled automatically.  Some ISPs will allow you to access the router to make these type of changes, others will not, but then they typically allow you to go to a modem setup where you provide the router (which can be the Airave which I believe also offers WiFi).  Typically you would want the ISP provided router to allow a sort-of bridge mode, have a DMZ port, or enable you to open up those ports.  Another option sometimes offered is being able to buy an IP address.

A key item for further discussion is the exact manufacturer and model number of said router.

Thank you for the replies!  

The router is: D-Link DIR-868L with Optimum branding.  The router settings are accessed via the Optimum portal and no settings have ever been changed.  I presume that Optimum may block access to some settings.  

Also, the modem is Arris TM1602, also with Optimum branding.

I didn't realized that the A4 also provides WiFi.  As a side note, I seem to vaguely remember when the original Airave first came out (years ago!), I read that they instructed the user to plug it directly into a modem and not into a router?

33 minutes ago, Member21 said:

The router is: D-Link DIR-868L with Optimum branding.  The router settings are accessed via the Optimum portal and no settings have ever been changed.  I presume that Optimum may block access to some settings.  

I didn't realized that the A4 also provides WiFi.  As a side note, I seem to vaguely remember when the original Airave first came out (years ago!), I read that they instructed the user to plug it directly into a modem and not into a router?

If the Arris is used for Optimum Voice, then it should be kept as the first router.  The Airave is recommended to be first priority of Sprint voice via CDMA and VoLTE Soon (tm).

You shouldn't need to change anything on your router. It's just saying that those ports shouldn't be blocked. The Airave uses UDP encapsulated IPsec, so it should just work out of the box for most people.

The Airave 4 to does not provide wifi. The 3 did.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this, and the router is a Buffalo router running DD-WRT, as I recall.  Is there any way to tell for certain if DD-WRT is the issue, and if it is, any way to change DD-WRT's behavior?
- Trip
I think dd-wrt may actually be one of the firmwares that does restrict it, or at least has an option to. I haven't used dd-wrt in 10+ years though so I'm not sure where it would be in the settings.

If your mom has Chrome, you can use Chrome remote desktop to remotely connect to her computer and browse through the router settings yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have ssh access to a server I keep there with remote X tunneling.  I got in just fine.

It's a WZR-300HP with firmware version:  DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/09/12) std - build 19438

I can see two sequential MAC addresses and IP addresses which I assume are associated with the Airave.  But I figure as long as the GPS light is red, that's the main issue right now.  I would expect the WAN light to be red if it were having trouble talking back to Sprint.

- Trip

2 hours ago, Trip said:

I have ssh access to a server I keep there with remote X tunneling.  I got in just fine.

It's a WZR-300HP with firmware version:  DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/09/12) std - build 19438

I can see two sequential MAC addresses and IP addresses which I assume are associated with the Airave.  But I figure as long as the GPS light is red, that's the main issue right now.  I would expect the WAN light to be red if it were having trouble talking back to Sprint.

- Trip

That would be the CDMA side and the LTE side with the corresponding MAC + IP addresses. 

Also I finally got one after 2.5 weeks of trying...

W2AV4F3.jpg

qJFsO4H.jpg

The A4 is almost perfectly half the width of a MB!

https://imgur.com/a/9W9e4eC

• Like 3

Longtome Airave user and never had issues until the Airave 4...The first A4 came in and they couldn't register it. They sent me another A4 and I can get every light solid green except LTE. So they are now going to send me a 3rd one but I suspect it's more to do with my network. I need to plug the A4 into my cable modem instead of my Eero because the 2 ports are taken. My Tivo goes into the Eero and the Eero goes into the cable modem for the Moca network to work. Also, since Sprint is sending me a 3rd A4 would this mean the second one which is not working is unregistered and that I'll need to troubleshoot when the 3rd comes in? Can anyone assist? Thank you.

Edited by jtrotter54

Longtome Airave user and never had issues until the Airave 4...The first A4 came in and they couldn't register it. They sent me another A4 and I can get every light solid green except LTE. So they are now going to send me a 3rd one but I suspect it's more to do with my network. I need to plug the A4 into my cable modem instead of my Eero because the 2 ports are taken. My Tivo goes into the Eero and the Eero goes into the cable modem for the Moca network to work. Also, since Sprint is sending me a 3rd A4 would this mean the second one which is not working is unregistered and that I'll need to troubleshoot when the 3rd comes in? Can anyone assist? Thank you.
You should be ae continue to troubleshoot with yours as it's typically not deactivated until Sprint receives it back at the warehouse.

I'm experiencing the same issue as well.

It worked for about a day and then everything is green except LTE which is flashing red.

From the user manual, this means the unit has established ipsec tunnels to both LTE and Cdma cores, have Wan outside access, have GPS lock, broadcasting cdma (confirmed), and is attempting to bring up the LTE signal.

As I mentioned a few posts back, the A4 is not for me, but I am helping family members in another location in getting an A4.  Could someone let me know approximately how long the wire is for the supplied GPS antenna? 

Also, just to chime in on ordering experience, I was told by the head of the household that Sprint told him it was ordered and he then got an email saying that it was being sent to his former house (where they haven't lived for 6 years!).  It's in route right now and Sprint said they will have UPS re-direct it to the correct address.  I can't believe the original Sprint rep who took the order didn't confirm the shipping address.  

As I mentioned a few posts back, the A4 is not for me, but I am helping family members in another location in getting an A4.  Could someone let me know approximately how long the wire is for the supplied GPS antenna? 

Also, just to chime in on ordering experience, I was told by the head of the household that Sprint told him it was ordered and he then got an email saying that it was being sent to his former house (where they haven't lived for 6 years!).  It's in route right now and Sprint said they will have UPS re-direct it to the correct address.  I can't believe the original Sprint rep who took the order didn't confirm the shipping address.  

GPS cable is rolled up approximately 30' long.

The slot is on the right of the unit facing forward which is quite an awkward spot since you have this cable just coming out from the side. Much prefer it on the back.

The issue you and I had (red led on LTE) was a software configuration bug on Sprints side that has been diagnosed and fixed.

My A4 was flashing red LTE with everything else solid green since evening of Saturday. Now its all solid green with 1x + LTE actively transmitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

The issue you and I had (red led on LTE) was a software configuration bug on Sprints side that has been diagnosed and fixed.
My A4 was flashing red LTE with everything else solid green since evening of Saturday. Now its all solid green with 1x + LTE actively transmitting.

So how do I get this voodoo-magic fix to come on over to my Airave?   All solid green except flashing red LTE...

Completely willing to sacrifice a bucket of KFC chicken bones to get it working. 

So how do I get this voodoo-magic fix to come on over to my Airave?   All solid green except flashing red LTE...
Completely willing to sacrifice a bucket of KFC chicken bones to get it working. 
It should be fixed already as it's a major issue that they only were alerted to this morning thanks to my message.

I'd recommend resetting / power cycling the unit and waiting at least til tomorrow. If it is still inoperable then PM me with the Serial Number + MAC ID and other relevant info and I can CC you into the chain with the engineer(s).

• Like 2

It looks like Sprint sent out a lot of unactivated Airave 4s. The first I received was unactivated. When I called in spent 2 hours with them trying to activate it. They took the serial number and Mac I'd and was unable to add it to their system. Said the device was not in their list and it would not let them add it. The supervisor tried to add it then finally advanced tech support got involved and was also unable to add it to their system. They sent me out a new one but forgot the return kit for the unactivated Airave 4. They activated the second Airave 4 in a new line, so I have the old Airave 3 that I sent back on a line and the new Airave 4 on a separate line. Been on the phone for an hour trying to get this resolved. They now have me at account services and the new person is confused. 

It looks like Sprint sent out a lot of unactivated Airave 4s. The first I received was unactivated. When I called in spent 2 hours with them trying to activate it. They took the serial number and Mac I'd and was unable to add it to their system. Said the device was not in their list and it would not let them add it. The supervisor tried to add it then finally advanced tech support got involved and was also unable to add it to their system. They sent me out a new one but forgot the return kit for the unactivated Airave 4. They activated the second Airave 4 in a new line, so I have the old Airave 3 that I sent back on a line and the new Airave 4 on a separate line. Been on the phone for an hour trying to get this resolved. They now have me at account services and the new person is confused. 
What you need to do is ask for a RMA kit and they'll send you a Prepaid UPS Label.

Toss the unactivated A4/A3 into a box with the prepaid label and they can figure it out at the warehouse when they scan / input the SN into the system.

I had the same shenanigans with one of my G3 MBs too and advanced OKC tech support (3194 number) had to resort to deactivating one of the G2s I had and using that active line to activate the new G3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

What you need to do is ask for a RMA kit and they'll send you a Prepaid UPS Label.

Toss the unactivated A4/A3 into a box with the prepaid label and they can figure it out at the warehouse when they scan / input the SN into the system.

I had the same shenanigans with one of my G3 MBs too and advanced OKC tech support (3194 number) had to resort to deactivating one of the G2s I had and using that active line to activate the new G3.

After a long time on the phone supposed to get a return kit now, but still have to Airave lines. The old Airave 3 under one line, it says Airrve coverage. The new Airave 4 under a different line. It Says Voice/LTE Service Enhancement. Is that what all new Airave 4 lines say? No one seems to know how to cancel the Airave 3 line I sent back in. 

I think previous Airave. (From Airave 2 age), Calls started at Airave could transfer to Macro site. I don't think Airave 4 could transfer call back to Macro site.

After a long time on the phone supposed to get a return kit now, but still have to Airave lines. The old Airave 3 under one line, it says Airrve coverage. The new Airave 4 under a different line. It Says Voice/LTE Service Enhancement. Is that what all new Airave 4 lines say? No one seems to know how to cancel the Airave 3 line I sent back in. 
Yeah just wait some time. Once they scan the airave back in, the systems will remove it from your account.

I think it took a few weeks for my returned Gen 2 MBs to be removed from my account.