SeanK_

Official Airave 4 LTE / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 NSC Thread

I just joined Sprint and am looking for an Airave 3 for an apartment from hell cell-wise.   Drop a note to tvccs1[at]gmail[dot]com if you know of one available.   Thanks.

14 hours ago, TVCCS said:

I just joined Sprint and am looking for an Airave 3 for an apartment from hell cell-wise.   Drop a note to tvccs1[at]gmail[dot]com if you know of one available.   Thanks.

These were discontinued by Sprint. Third parties cannot transfer or sell them, as Sprint technically owns each one in the wild. 

These were discontinued by Sprint. Third parties cannot transfer or sell them, as Sprint technically owns each one in the wild. 
Thanks...that being said, Airave support was more than willing to turn on a 2.5+ marked the same way for me, especially as Magic Boxes are out of stock for at least another month.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, TVCCS said:

Thanks...that being said, Airave support was more than willing to turn on a 2.5+ marked the same way for me, especially as Magic Boxes are out of stock for at least another month.

Really - that's good info! Sounds like they're using them as a backup plan.... 

I found an Airave 3... In a few days I hopefully will know if it's a winner or not.  The Airave 2.5+ does help with voice call range, but its 3G performance leaves a lot to be desired, at least at my location.   Sprint finally got my Calling Plus working today, so I'm looking forward to seeing if everything works as it should.   I need LTE backup if my main Internet goes down.

I found an Airave 3... In a few days I hopefully will know if it's a winner or not.  The Airave 2.5+ does help with voice call range, but its 3G performance leaves a lot to be desired, at least at my location.   Sprint finally got my Calling Plus working today, so I'm looking forward to seeing if everything works as it should.   I need LTE backup if my main Internet goes down.
If your main internet goes down, any Airave(s) will become useless too..

-Mike

If your main internet goes down, any Airave(s) will become useless too..

-Mike
Ahhhh yes. Thanks for that clarication. I assume that's not the case with a Magic Box?

Ahhhh yes. Thanks for that clarication. I assume that's not the case with a Magic Box?

Correct. Airave uses an existing internet connection on site. Magic Box uses Sprint signal from a macro site (and does not help with the CDMA voice network). Not every location will qualify for a MB.

-Mike
  • Thanks 1

Is there a way to disable the B41 signal on an Airave 3? My Pixel just has a heck of a time dropping back to CDMA for calls.. I've resorted to forcing 3G mode when I get home, but if I could kill the Airave LTE signal that would solve it. I don't need it since I'm on WiFi anyway. Didn't see anything on the web interface.

-Mike

Is there a way to disable the B41 signal on an Airave 3? My Pixel just has a heck of a time dropping back to CDMA for calls.. I've resorted to forcing 3G mode when I get home, but if I could kill the Airave LTE signal that would solve it. I don't need it since I'm on WiFi anyway. Didn't see anything on the web interface.
-Mike
Maybe figure out what ports are being used for LTE side and block them?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You can probably do it if you block access to the ipsec VPN server that the LTE side uses. I did a packet capture on my router when I powered on the Airave. The CDMA side seems to do a DNS lookup for either segw01.femto.sprint.net, segw02.femto.sprint.net, ....,  or segw10.femto.sprint.net (10 possibilities, not sure how it picks one each time it boots up). And then establishes an IKEv2 VPN tunnel to it.

The LTE side does not seem to do a DNS lookup (maybe the it does it via the first tunnel?), however in my case it established a second IKEv2 tunnel to 68.31.0.1. That IP address seems to "neat", so maybe it's hard coded. You can try blocking access to that IP at your router, which would prevent the LTE side from working.

Interesting tidbit, the AIrave also looks up its assigned hostname (via DHCP) in DNS for some reason. And also first does an NTP check for time.localdomainname (where localdomainname is whatever your local domain is set as in your DHCP server). If that fails, it then queries the ntp pool. After these two things, it proceeds to the CDMA DNS lookups and establishing that ipsec tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Mike
Trade you a 2.5 for it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Trade you a 2.5 for it.

Swapping back to a 2.5 has crossed my mind.. for my needs it was great. No camping on fringe 1X800 mostly. I only dumped my 2.5 because it died and I had to wait for a 3. If they would get some flavor of WiFi calling going on the Pixel, I wouldn't need anything..

-Mike

• Like 2

Swapping back to a 2.5 has crossed my mind.. for my needs it was great. No camping on fringe 1X800 mostly. I only dumped my 2.5 because it died and I had to wait for a 3. If they would get some flavor of WiFi calling going on the Pixel, I wouldn't need anything..
-Mike
Interesting that eCSFB isn't working on the Airave for you. That was kind of the whole point of the 3.0. So you just miss calls because it never rings? Or it rings and the call won't connect when you answer?

I wonder if there's a way to force SRLTE to always be active on the OG Pixel... Normally it only engages with a weak signal because it disables CA on that SoC (Snapdragon 835 phones can do 3xCA + SRLTE with CDMA, so no eCSFB necessary). But CA obviously isn't needed with an Airave. It might be possible with QPST or something like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ingenium said:

Interesting that eCSFB isn't working on the Airave for you. That was kind of the whole point of the 3.0. So you just miss calls because it never rings? Or it rings and the call won't connect when you answer?

I wonder if there's a way to force SRLTE to always be active on the OG Pixel... Normally it only engages with a weak signal because it disables CA on that SoC (Snapdragon 835 phones can do 3xCA + SRLTE with CDMA, so no eCSFB necessary). But CA obviously isn't needed with an Airave. It might be possible with QPST or something like that.

It never rings.. I use Google Voice for my voicemail, so I get missed call notifications from that service even if the phone never realizes a call was coming in. The solution I've found that works best is to disable BC10 and disable LTE when I get home.. that typically gets the Pixel to grab onto the Airave within a few minutes of arriving home, but still not immediate. Seems odd that it doesn't search quicker when it's camped on a 1X connection from the macro site that is usually around -108 dB.

I've talked to Sprint numerous times and all they want to do is have me update my profile and PRL, then they say my Pixel must be broken. When I was trying to work through the Airave/1X800 issue I was never really able to get anyone on the phone who understood what I was trying to say.

One thing I noticed playing around with NSG was that the macro 1X uses channel 650, and the Airave is on channel 500. Are they intentionally different? I'm guessing channel assignment varies by region; would it make more sense for them to use the same channel, theoretically allowing for quicker discovery of the Airave? Or does that have no bearing on anything?

-Mike

It never rings.. I use Google Voice for my voicemail, so I get missed call notifications from that service even if the phone never realizes a call was coming in. The solution I've found that works best is to disable BC10 and disable LTE when I get home.. that typically gets the Pixel to grab onto the Airave within a few minutes of arriving home, but still not immediate. Seems odd that it doesn't search quicker when it's camped on a 1X connection from the macro site that is usually around -108 dB.
I've talked to Sprint numerous times and all they want to do is have me update my profile and PRL, then they say my Pixel must be broken. When I was trying to work through the Airave/1X800 issue I was never really able to get anyone on the phone who understood what I was trying to say.
One thing I noticed playing around with NSG was that the macro 1X uses channel 650, and the Airave is on channel 500. Are they intentionally different? I'm guessing channel assignment varies by region; would it make more sense for them to use the same channel, theoretically allowing for quicker discovery of the Airave? Or does that have no bearing on anything?
-Mike
That is weird. I never had an issue with my Pixel 1 on my Airave, and my bf uses it now and also doesn't have an issue (to my knowledge anyway). So it could be something with your particular device. You can always try wiping provisioning data and letting it setup again. Or if you have a non Sprint SIM, put that in briefly. When I had issues with RCS not appearing on my Pixel, nothing would fix it other than swapping the SIM. That seems to force some kind of reset that 72786 doesn't.

Regarding the channel, yeah that's normal on the 3.0. The 2.5+ I believe used the same channel as the macro, but my 3.0 has always had 1x in the internal LTE guard band. For for example, if B25 is 1985-1995 MHz, the 1x carrier will be centered on 1985 MHz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

So it could be something with your particular device. You can always try wiping provisioning data and letting it setup again. Or if you have a non Sprint SIM, put that in briefly. When I had issues with RCS not appearing on my Pixel, nothing would fix it other than swapping the SIM. That seems to force some kind of reset that 72786 doesn't.

I wipe the phone of everything but my user data and put on a fresh install of each month's Android update, and I swap SIMs more often than the average person because I test SCP on multiple networks. And I've done every #*#* code imaginable, often at Customer Care's request. Gremlins!

-Mike

You will be very happy with the next version of the Magic Box, we all will be. Next month is, next month. ?

I am have an issue with my Airave 3 also. For the last two months my wife's s7 edge will only connect to LTE from the Airave. She misses calls and texts. If I switch to 3g mode only it connects perfect to the CDMA on the Airave. It worked perfect on my Pixel 2 XL. Had to send my Pixel 2 XL into Google and am using my Nexus 6p and it has the same issue LTE only unless I switch to 3g mode only. On 3g mode only it will connect perfect to the Airave cdma. Tech support thinks it is the Airave and is sending a replacement they said. I was thinking it might be some kind of other issue. On regular Sprint signal it works fine connects to both cdma and LTE

I am have an issue with my Airave 3 also. For the last two months my wife's s7 edge will only connect to LTE from the Airave. She misses calls and texts. If I switch to 3g mode only it connects perfect to the CDMA on the Airave. It worked perfect on my Pixel 2 XL. Had to send my Pixel 2 XL into Google and am using my Nexus 6p and it has the same issue LTE only unless I switch to 3g mode only. On 3g mode only it will connect perfect to the Airave cdma. Tech support thinks it is the Airave and is sending a replacement they said. I was thinking it might be some kind of other issue. On regular Sprint signal it works fine connects to both cdma and LTE

I replied to your Reddit post. But so others here know, it's an issue with eCSFB and IMS on the Airave. Devices which maintain SRLTE don't have the issue, since calls and texts go over CDMA instead of LTE. I have a ticket open about it, but so far they can't find anything wrong. Been a problem that has been ongoing for months, and I know other people in different markets with different devices and accounts have the exact same issue. It affects all phones that rely on eCSFB and IMS instead if SRLTE.  

A "solution" is to block the LTE ipsec tunnel on your router's firewall. In my experience, blocking access to 68.31.0.1 and rebooting the Airave resulted in just CDMA and no LTE. That being said, if your non-SRLTE phone can pick up the macro LTE signal at all, it will almost certainly never use the Airave. I don't believe that macro eCSFB will setup a call via the Airave.

• Like 2