Official Airave 4 LTE / Casa Pebble / Airave 3 LTE / S1000 Thread

SeanK_

Airave's have been canceled. As far as I know Gen 3 MB is the planned replacement once they enable ethernet backhaul and some type of CDMA module to go along with it.
Incorrect.

Airave 4 is the successor. GEN 3 MB has the option for a CDMA module but it will utilize the ethernet connection.

As the ethernet / wifi alternative backhaul mode is not ready or enabled on the Gen 3, one can see why the Airave 4, which is a close relative of the Gen 3 Magic Box, are not released yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Incorrect.

Airave 4 is the successor. GEN 3 MB has the option for a CDMA module but it will utilize the ethernet connection.

As the ethernet / wifi alternative backhaul mode is not ready or enabled on the Gen 3, one can see why the Airave 4, which is a close relative of the Gen 3 Magic Box, are not released yet.

So the Airave and Gen 3 MB/CDMA module will co-exist for what reason?

2 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Wow ok. Interesting.

Tim has the inside scoop, and he knows his stuff. Looks like they will both co-exist, don't know why, since we know Sprint has had issues getting those Airaves built in the past and the new MB will have CDMA option. But looks like new ones are eventually coming down the pipe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Tim has the inside scoop, and he knows his stuff. Looks like they will both co-exist, don't know why, since we know Sprint has had issues getting those Airaves built in the past and the new MB will have CDMA option. But looks like new ones are eventually coming down the pipe.

Ok, I was wondering about that CDMA module. If you had that you wouldn't be able to use Ethernet backhaul since the MB only has one Ethernet port correct? Thanks nexgencpu and lilotimz!

So the Airave and Gen 3 MB/CDMA module will co-exist for what reason?

The pending Airave 4 would supposedly be mostly pushed to residential folks who likely have decent home ISP while MBs will be more for business and commercial entities.

Ofcourse there's nothing stopping one getting a MB for a home if they want to and vice versa with an Airave 4.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

The pending Airave 4 would supposedly be mostly pushed to residential folks who likely have decent home ISP while MBs will be more for business and commercial entities.

Any time frame for the release of the Airave 4?

The Magic Boxes require reasonable macro band 41 signal in a market with enough spectrum to give a carrier to them.  Airaves require ISP service with minimal jitter and GPS and must be in a county with Sprint Macro sites. Each fills a different need.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Airave's have been canceled. As far as I know Gen 3 MB is the planned replacement once they enable ethernet backhaul and some type of CDMA module to go along with it.

Would wait for lilotimz to chime in here for anything definitivie - have read/heard no news that AirRave 4's have been cancelled unless I missed a post somewhere.   Also, Magic Boxes won't work just anywhere like AirRaves would (those of us in Shentel territory for example, unless something has finally changed, can't use them).

Edit:  disregard, when I made this reply I didn't know there was an additional page of posts beyond this one :P  Still, my point about areas where Magic Boxes simply wouldn't work would probably still be apropos.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 7:16 PM, lilotimz said:

No TBD. Just like MB Gen 3s ethernet / wifi BH. =(

Will the MB using ethernet BH function the same as Airave? Could I use it in area that Sprint's MB checker says not available?

Will the MB using ethernet BH function the same as Airave? Could I use it in area that Sprint's MB checker says not available?
No.

26 minutes ago, notsrealinc said:

You can disable the WiFi on the Airave 3 by logging into it.

Is it the newest one? Last one I got doesn't have the option to disable wifi even after login.

Is it the newest one? Last one I got doesn't have the option to disable wifi even after login.
You can, I did it on mine. It's just buried in the settings.

Also an option is to put it on a channel that you don't use, and turn the transmit power down all the way. So you can only see/connect to it when you're in the same room basically. Easier to access the config interface again if you need to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, dnwk said:

Last chat with Sprint Support, was told Airave is out of stock.  How often will they restock?

They haven't had stock for a while now.They are working on the 4th version now (Airave 4 LTE) but It's been pushed back due to manufacturer issues, so the really short answer is who knows.

18 hours ago, dnwk said:

Last chat with Sprint Support, was told Airave is out of stock.  How often will they restock?

It has been refurbs only for a long time.

It has been refurbs only for a long time.
And the current software build has fairly serious bugs for older devices (Galaxy S6 or 7 era and Pixel 1) and VoLTE devices, that has been there for 9 months or so now. It basically prevents texts and phone calls from working when the Airave is in range (the phone can not be connected, it just has to be in range). It seems to mess up the IMS APN/EUTRA session. So texts and calls fail on eCSFB dependent devices and devices actively using VoLTE. As to why it affects devices if it's just in range.... I don't know.

My solution to this was to disable just LTE on it, but leave CDMA active, via a firewall rule. It's an ugly hack, but it works. I assume a fix is never coming. It's a shame that they broke this on the last firmware build for it, since it worked on earlier builds.

On 4/10/2019 at 2:41 PM, ingenium said:

And the current software build has fairly serious bugs for older devices (Galaxy S6 or 7 era and Pixel 1) and VoLTE devices, that has been there for 9 months or so now. It basically prevents texts and phone calls from working when the Airave is in range (the phone can not be connected, it just has to be in range). It seems to mess up the IMS APN/EUTRA session. So texts and calls fail on eCSFB dependent devices and devices actively using VoLTE. As to why it affects devices if it's just in range.... I don't know.

My solution to this was to disable just LTE on it, but leave CDMA active, via a firewall rule. It's an ugly hack, but it works. I assume a fix is never coming. It's a shame that they broke this on the last firmware build for it, since it worked on earlier builds.

So, I guess not using it would be better and probably wait for new version. 

So, I guess not using it would be better and probably wait for new version. 
It depends on what phone you have and what you need it for. Do you have an SRLTE capable phone (does Signal Check Pro show both LTE and CDMA info at the same time? If so, then you have an SRLTE phone. If it's just LTE, then you do not)? It so, then it will work fine for LTE and voice as long as you don't turn on VoLTE.

If you do not have an SRLTE capable phone, then skip it and wait for the 4. It will cause more problems unless you want to setup advanced firewall rules, and won't be any good unless your phone can't pickup an LTE signal at all from the closest tower.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, fizzicsguy said:

Airave Gen 4 is available today. Per OKCC rep. referring to an internal email. 

Airave 4's are indeed available today!

• Like 5