iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

nobius

19 minutes ago, derrph said:

Does the 8 series perform better than the 7 RF wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about that. I imagine there's some improvement.

The 8/8 Plus/X for Sprint/Verizon have the Qualcomm X16 Modem. The Intel XMM 7480 is used for the AT&T/T-Mobile variants.

The 7/7 Plus for Sprint /Verizon have the Qualcomm X12 Modem. The Intel XMM 7360 is used for the AT&T/T-Mobile variants.

Of course in both cases, the Qualcomm Modems were gimped to have similar performance to the Intel Modems used in the AT&T/T-Mobile versions.

My prediction for next year's Modem hardware, assuming the design has been locked in or will be soon (Apple actually said in an interview that the design for the iPhone X was locked in by November 2016) is that we'll either get the Qualcomm X20 Modem or the Intel XMM 7560, which has support for CDMA.

13 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Not sure about that. I imagine there's some improvement.

The 8/8 Plus/X for Sprint/Verizon have the Qualcomm X16 Modem. The Intel XMM 7480 is used for the AT&T/T-Mobile variants.

The 7/7 Plus for Sprint /Verizon have the Qualcomm X12 Modem. The Intel XMM 7360 is used for the AT&T/T-Mobile variants.

Of course in both cases, the Qualcomm Modems were gimped to have similar performance to the Intel Modems used in the AT&T/T-Mobile versions.

My prediction for next year's Modem hardware, assuming the design has been locked in or will be soon (Apple actually said in an interview that the design for the iPhone X was locked in by November 2016) is that we'll either get the Qualcomm X20 Modem or the Intel XMM 7560, which has support for CDMA.

Thanks for including the links, RedSpark. I went to read about the Intel modem, which seems like it'll be plenty fast, though disappointingly the site didn't list the bands it is capable of. Does it support T-Mobile's 600mhz spectrum, which I'm referring to the Intel XMM 7560 that might be in next year's iPhones?

Does the 8 series perform better than the 7 RF wise?

Being the owner of a 8 Plus coming from a 7 Plus I’d have to say yes. To me the 8 latches onto LTE faster and stays connected longer.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

Being the owner of a 8 Plus coming from a 7 Plus I’d have to say yes. To me the 8 latches onto LTE faster and stays connected longer.

I agree. I’ve noticed a real improvement from the 7 to the 8 as far as LTE performance.

• Like 1

I'm having issues moving stuff from a 6s to an X. It just tells me that the backup for the 6s on iTunes is "corrupt or the device is not compatible" (or something along those lines). This is royally ticking me off. Anyone encounter similar issues? iTunes is up to date (and still hot garbage...it's feels and runs clunky just like in the old iPod days).

Trying to transfer everything into the new iPhone reminds me why I'll always be a Android guy. :td: Apple. I'm about minutes away from smashing this $1k phone into the ground.

(And no, I can't do iCloud. Not enough space)

20 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

I'm having issues moving stuff from a 6s to an X. It just tells me that the backup for the 6s on iTunes is "corrupt or the device is not compatible" (or something along those lines). This is royally ticking me off. Anyone encounter similar issues? iTunes is up to date (and still hot garbage...it's feels and runs clunky just like in the old iPod days).

Trying to transfer everything into the new iPhone reminds me why I'll always be a Android guy. :td: Apple. I'm about minutes away from smashing this $1k phone into the ground.

(And no, I can't do iCloud. Not enough space)

You can temporarily upgrade your iCloud account and then downgrade it after your backup/restore.

Apple gives you 15 days to cancel/downgrade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

You can temporarily upgrade your iCloud account and then downgrade it after your backup/restore.

Apple gives you 15 days to cancel/downgrade.

Too late. I gave up. I wasted over 2 hours trying to figure this out for someone else.

I learned today that I am an Android user through and through :D. Nice phone, terrible software.

Too late. I gave up. I wasted over 2 hours trying to figure this out for someone else.
I learned today that I am an Android user through and through [emoji3]. Nice phone, terrible software.

Except you can’t transfer or backup / restore on android. Ecosystem is where Apple scores.

I’m pro Android and iOS so not bashing.

6 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I've heard that in terms of RF that it performs very similarly to the iPhone 8/8 Plus.

More than likely it shares the same/similar antennae design as the 8/8 plus. We would have to hear from Tim or AJ or someone else who is a little more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. :)

-Anthony

• Like 2

I received my iPhone X today, but I haven't opened it yet. T-Mobile is working with my mother on some complex number porting/switching arrangements with our plan, so I'll wait until Monday to get the phone ready for use after the other stuff gets done over the weekend. T-Mobile has been really great lately with everything, and I'm really glad they haven't messed up on anything.

• Like 1

Except you can’t transfer or backup / restore on android. Ecosystem is where Apple scores.

I’m pro Android and iOS so not bashing.

Actually, you can backup and restore with 8.0 and USB c to USB c with 8.0 is very easy and fast.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, greenbastard said:

I learned today that I am an Android user through and through :D. Nice phone, terrible software.

Wow. Guess stuff happens.

12 hours ago, anthony.spina97 said:

More than likely it shares the same/similar antennae design as the 8/8 plus. We would have to hear from Tim or AJ or someone else who is a little more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. :)

-Anthony

I’d love to hear more about this as well.

As for the 8 and 8 Plus, since the back is now glass instead of aluminum, I wonder how that affects the antenna design vs. the 7.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I’d love to hear more about this as well.

As for the 8 and 8 Plus, since the back is now glass instead of aluminum, I wonder how that affects the antenna design vs. the 7.

I think it would be great for a full rf article on the new iPhone lineup in an article the kind that S4GRU staff use to write for the site. I really liked those articles, as they were very informative and a greatly supportive in helping to determine rf quality and the value of buying certain devices for those wanting to know the signal quality of a smartphone. I, as many here likely do, we care alot about signal quality, which sadly doesn't seem to receive much attention in spec reports and smartphone reviews online nowadays. This would be a great feature to bring back to S4GRU 

• Like 1

Samsung just released this new ad which takes us back over 10 years of the iPhone and makes a swipe at the "notch":

Speaking for myself: I've never see anyone standing in line for a Samsung Phone.... of course, perhaps I don't get out enough.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Samsung just released this new ad which takes us back over 10 years of the iPhone and makes a swipe at the "notch":

Speaking for myself: I've never see anyone standing in line for a Samsung Phone.... of course, perhaps I don't get out enough.

I saw this ad earlier and I think its pretty dumb. There is a huge difference between what Apple and Samsung are selling, and for Samsung to advertise a comparison seems to indicate they think consumers are pretty stupid to think an Apple buyer/fan will "grow up" to Samsung. The main difference should be obvious to anyone that knows their is a clear distinction here, which is Android. After that, those who are more informed consumers, such as us here on S4GRU, know that Android on Samsung means Touchwiz, Grace UI, the vast layers of Samsung bloatware, carrier bloatware, etc. The Apple fans of us know the downsides to Android, the different processing capabilities with Apple being much faster generally than Qualcomm processors in Samsung devices, and a bunch of other issues.

There simply is no such thing as "advancing" "progressing" or whatever from an Apple device to a Samsung device. To some (such as myself), its the other way around (no offense, S4GRU Android fans).

I am a little frustrated with Sprint today.  I tried to order a new iPhone this morning through the Apple Store App and received a message that I needed to cancel a plan change in order to resolve.  I called the number and was told that Sprint needed to reconfigure the Unlimitied Freedom plan I changed to a few weeks ago to be able to purchase a new phone.  Then the CSR wanted me to move to auto pay (no thanks) and tried several other items that I did not want to move forward with.

If I am going to buy a new phone at full price, why in the hell do I need to go through these additional steps.  Should I not be able to bring a Sprint compatible phone to activate without any hoops or hassles?

40 minutes ago, Steve Dean said:

I am a little frustrated with Sprint today.  I tried to order a new iPhone this morning through the Apple Store App and received a message that I needed to cancel a plan change in order to resolve.  I called the number and was told that Sprint needed to reconfigure the Unlimitied Freedom plan I changed to a few weeks ago to be able to purchase a new phone.  Then the CSR wanted me to move to auto pay (no thanks) and tried several other items that I did not want to move forward with.

If I am going to buy a new phone at full price, why in the hell do I need to go through these additional steps.  Should I not be able to bring a Sprint compatible phone to activate without any hoops or hassles?

Was your upgrade eligibility not reset properly for some reason? Not sure what else would need to be reconfigured. iOS devices are on the BYOD list.

You're aware that not having AutoPay enabled for Unlimited Freedom costs you an extra $5/Month per line, right?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Was your upgrade eligibility not reset properly for some reason? Not sure what else would need to be reconfigured. iOS devices are on the BYOD list.

You're aware that not having AutoPay enabled for Unlimited Freedom costs you an extra $5/Month per line, right?

I am not sure what the problem is with the upgrade eligibility.  The Sprint app says I am eligible today to upgrade.  Maybe changing my plan a couple of weeks ago reset something.

I was aware that AutoPay saves five dollars a month but it is something I do not want.  To me, it gives a company access to my checking account.  With the data breaches that are happening around the world (not with Sprint... yet) and an issue that happened with Sprint a few years ago with the account, I prefer to not relinquish the control.

8 minutes ago, Steve Dean said:

I am not sure what the problem is with the upgrade eligibility.  The Sprint app says I am eligible today to upgrade.  Maybe changing my plan a couple of weeks ago reset something.

I was aware that AutoPay saves five dollars a month but it is something I do not want.  To me, it gives a company access to my checking account.  With the data breaches that are happening and an issue that happened with Sprint a few years ago with the account, I prefer to not relinquish the control.

Hmmm. That's pretty strange.

As far as bank accounts go, I understand your concerns so this is what I've suggested to others who use checking accounts. Get a separate checking account at an unaffiliated bank to where your main holdings are. Do monthly transfers to that account from your main account, either through ACH or by depositing a check, to the unaffiliated bank. Then, have AutoPay configured to work only with the unaffiliated bank and there's no connection to your main holdings. Sprint only sees your unaffiliated bank account, not your main source of holdings.

Of course, if you put it on a credit card, you see the charge process on the card on your Sprint bill due date, but this is well before your card's actual due date. This way you can confirm the amount that you'll pay on your credit card well beforehand.

• Like 1