Jump to content

iPhone 8, 8+, X announced


Recommended Posts

Yes. You're right about this. Sprint was likely asking Apple for HPUE as early as 2015. As for why Apple didn't include it, Apple has to give upgraders a reason to upgrade again. That's just what they do. It happened with the lack of Band 41 on the iPhone 5s/5c.

So we'll likely see HPUE and 4x4 MIMO on next year's iPhones. T-Mobile will also get 600 MHz support... and the Apple people will upgrade as expected.

I'm curious about the time on LTE and time on Band 41 test data for the iPhone 7/8/X vs an HPUE device like the S8 on Sprint.

If there's not an appreciable difference between these figures, we're not missing out on as much as it seems perhaps.

Perhaps this be the last year for Qualcomm Modems in iPhones? Intel has this: https://www.pcmag.com/news/351878/intels-7560-modem-could-push-next-iphone-to-1gbps

Or perhaps we see a Qualcomm x20 in next year's models alongside it....again...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I did it. I ordered an iPhone X from Best Buy this afternoon. I'll have it by Friday. I'm excited.

Yes, FCC OET.  Trust that, after 5+ years, S4GRU staff knows what it is doing.  Apple device authorizations pop up in the FCC OET within hours of their announcement events. AJ

I got one better. I placed a upgrade when preorders opened and the order said it went though but didn’t so I then placed a new order online and $20 for both orders got desiccated. Called in the morni

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WiWavelength said:

No, you are playing fast and loose (sidenote: Steve Dean, see the correct use of the word "loose") with the timeline.

Sprint and 3GPP did not hatch HPUE out of thin air in December 2016.  It was in the pipeline prior to then, a known commodity.  Apple could have planned accordingly.  LG and Samsung certainly did on handsets released months before the 2017 iPhone cohort.

The most accurate thing you said is your final statement:  "just Apple being Apple."  The iPhone historically has been a generation behind in the latest RF technology.  And until Apple settles its kerfuffle with Qualcomm or Intel gets its modem technology up to speed -- neither of which appears imminent -- iPhone will continue to be behind, even intentionally so.

AJ

Sorry AJ. Meant to type lose. Typing and working at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RedSpark said:

 

I'm curious about the time on LTE and time on Band 41 test data for the iPhone 7/8/X vs an HPUE device like the S8 on Sprint.

 

This is what I would want to see. Personally I simply don't see a difference between HPUE and a phone that does not have it. If there is a difference it's not very big and probably won't make much of a difference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

This is what I would want to see. Personally I simply don't see a difference between HPUE and a phone that does not have it. If there is a difference it's not very big and probably won't make much of a difference. 

I advice against using the GS8 as an example. Moto Z2 is considerably better at holding a signal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't forget "defiantly", though autocorrect is partly to blame for that one.

I'm thinking I'll stick with my 6S+ for now, as much as I'd like to upgrade. I had the 4S without LTE, the 5S without B41, and I'm not sure if the 6S cycle missed anything important. But I don't want another new (and expensive) device that feels a generation behind in terms of wireless tech.

I'm not too keen on the FaceID thing, I likely wouldn't use it. And the lack of a headphone jack is something I'd have to get used to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sonic13 said:

Can't forget "defiantly", though autocorrect is partly to blame for that one.

I'm thinking I'll stick with my 6S+ for now, as much as I'd like to upgrade. I had the 4S without LTE, the 5S without B41, and I'm not sure if the 6S cycle missed anything important. But I don't want another new (and expensive) device that feels a generation behind in terms of wireless tech.

I'm not too keen on the FaceID thing, I likely wouldn't use it. And the lack of a headphone jack is something I'd have to get used to.

The iPhone 6/6 Plus added Band 41.

The 6S/6S Plus support 2CA. Added Band 12.

The 7/7 Plus supported 2CA at first and then received an OTA update to enable 3CA support. Qualcomm X12 Modem, but detuned to match Intel Modem in other model.

The 8/8 Plus support 3CA. Qualcomm X16 Modem, but detuned to match Intel Modem in other model. Also, no HPUE and no 4x4 MIMO.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gimped.  The word is gimped.  Apple gimped the Qualcomm baseband modem to maintain parity with the Intel baseband modem.

Bring out the gimped modem.  Gimped modem's sleeping.  Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake it up now, won't you?

AJ

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

Gimped.  The word is gimped.  Apple gimped the Qualcomm baseband modem to maintain parity with the Intel baseband modem.

Bring out the gimped modem.  Gimped modem's sleeping.  Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake it up now, won't you?

AJ

Haha! Nice.

So next year's iPhone could either contain a gimped-as-necessary Qualcomm X20 to match whatever Intel is offering at that point, most likely the Intel 7560... or if Apple decides to drop Qualcomm altogether... then Intel for everybody I guess...

"Gigabit Class", HPUE (perhaps), and 4x4 MIMO....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2017 at 0:12 AM, WiWavelength said:

Gimped.  The word is gimped.  Apple gimped the Qualcomm baseband modem to maintain parity with the Intel baseband modem.

Bring out the gimped modem.  Gimped modem's sleeping.  Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake it up now, won't you?

AJ

Heck, since I have been butchering the English language, even with spell check, we can substitute gimped with gumped in this case since you do not know what modem you will receive in the phone:

image.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Dean said:

Heck, since I have been butchering the English language, even with spell check, we can substitute gimped with gumped in this case since you do not know what modem you will receive in the phone:

The Gimp got gumped at the 1994 Academy Awards.

AJ

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any info as to the RF on the 8/8+ and X? I wonder if its the same/ better or worse than last years iPhones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, derrph said:

Has there been any info as to the RF on the 8/8+ and X? I wonder if its the same/ better or worse than last years iPhones. 

I wonder if the new glass back has any impact on antenna performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I wonder if the new glass back has any impact on antenna performance.

I hope so and for the better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

Does anyone have an Apple Watch with LTE? 


Can you make calls using Sprint's network?

I myself don't, but the answer is yes based on everything I've read.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

Does anyone have an Apple Watch with LTE? 


Can you make calls using Sprint's network?

I don’t have an Apple Watch, but to answer your question, yes you can make calls over Sprint’s network. Calls are VoIP. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • A ton of them are from Extenet which afaik is Verizon's primary small cell partner here. I also see a bunch for Mobilitie which was Sprint's primary partner and Crown Castle which is T-Mobile's primary partner. I wonder if T-Mobile plans on contracting both for small cells going forward. If so, that's a lot of combined potential small cells, though still less than Extenet. By far the least are New Cingular which is likely AT&T. The wildcard is Transit Wireless who seems to be branching out of the subway system and is deploying quite a few new sites.
    • NYC DOITT database was updated about a month ago. Imported all the new oDAS node locations into my map. Haven't yet spotted anything with the new design in my travels through Williamsburg & Bushwick. Almost 1400 newly proposed nodes (since 3/5/21) is pretty incredible, though. Made my way up to Harlem and City College this past week. The site (eNB 55893) covering the north side of the campus STILL hasn't been upgraded from B2/B66 (dual APX16s). Pulled ~70Mb/s down on what is essentially an empty campus. Wish I knew what the deal is with that site. I almost wonder if it might be easier to work with the school and keep the Sprint site on top of the engineering building (Steinman Hall, across the street from their current site), instead.
    • Just saw this permit for a very rural area:  https://permitsearch.mybuildingpermit.com/PermitDetails/21110744CBP/Snohomish County It sure looks like a T-Mobile site number (SE01794A) and mentions "ADD 2 ABIL FOR N1900 N2100" First time I have seen a permit mention n1900 or n2100 (would this be n2/n25 and n66?). In fact, I searched all of the major locals on that site and not a single other permit mentions n1900 or n2100 (and none mention n2 or n66).
    • Just saw this permit:  https://permitsearch.mybuildingpermit.com/PermitDetails/21110744CBP/Snohomish County It sure looks like a T-Mobile site number (SE01794A) and mentions "ADD 2 ABIL FOR N1900 N2100" First time I have seen a permit mention n1900 or n2100 (would this be n2 and n66?).
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...