iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

nobius

7 minutes ago, Azimuth said:

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen a carrier update in a very long time. I think since the iPhone 4s days.

Back then, one would go into the Settings > About menu to trigger a carrier update.

Is there another way to force this that I’m not aware of? Get a new SIM card perhaps?

To do a carrier update with Sprint, you dial ##873283# on the phone.  I am not sure what the code maybe there.  You can ask your carrier, they may pass that information along.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Steve Dean said:

To do a carrier update with Sprint, you dial ##873283# on the phone.  I am not sure what the code maybe there.  You can ask your carrier, they may pass that information along.

No, ##873283# is just a PRL a update. Go to Settings>General>About and hover there for a bit. If there’s a carrier update available, you will be prompted to download it. You can also try resetting your network settings as that will force your phone to redownload the current carrier package. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

Seems like it’s a great device. I love the OLED screen. I was just looking at one in Target yesterday.

I love the OLED too. Definitely a nice screen.

• Like 1

So, after 2 months, I’ve picked up a problem and I’m not sure how to solve it.

I know there are a lot of knowledge folks on here, especially with regards to radios, cellular stations, cell phones and the relationship between them.

To be clear, I’m not sure if the problem is hardware, an iOS bug (I’m on 11.2.6) or my carrier.

The nature of the problem is this: I’m on the baby carrier in South Africa and they have a roaming agreement with the second largest carrier. About 2 weeks ago, my phone stopped roaming back to the “home” network and I have to flip the Airplane Mode switch to force it to go back to the home network.

I’ve never had this problem before with my carrier nor previous iPhones. The only thing that has changed is the X - although this wasn’t an issue during the first month (unless I failed to notice the pattern because I didn’t run out of data whilst roaming).

I’ve reset my network settings followed by all settings when that didn’t work. The only thing I haven’t done is wipe my phone and set it up as a new phone...doubtful if that will work but I’ll do it to rule out all possibilities.

What do you guys think?

A small but positive update. After ticking over to the new month, the problem basically disappeared. Roaming is working again and I don’t have to use airplane mode anymore. So I guess something is up with the carrier...
  • Like 1

On a different note, I came across an intriguing bug today.

While in traffic, bumper to bumper, my phone was on the car charger and with a one-handed operation, I accidentally triggered a screenshot. The UI and Face ID were totally disabled.

The only way to gain control again was to trigger a shutdown (power + volume down)...and then cancel.

• 3 weeks later...

Random update post: iPhone X and AirPods...my digital life is complete.

Somewhat late to the party but finally got me a pair of AirPods last night. It’s like perfection ².

Now...back to Netflix and The Expanse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Somewhat late to the party but finally got me a pair of AirPods last night. It’s like perfection ².

I don't have AirPods yet. Don't have the extra funds to do so at this time.

Me and a friend both have the same iPhone X model (256GB), both on the Sprint Freedom Unlimited plan, both under the 23GB deprioritization limit, both even using the exact same model phone case (Spigen Ultra Hybrid), however my phone always freezes up when trying to use data (Facebook, Pokemon Go, iMessages, etc.) in certain areas of town and his works just fine. My solution as of late has been to toggle my phone into 3G only mode whenever I'm in known crap areas. I've taken it to the Apple Store to have a diagnostic test run with nothing found. Any reason why my phone has worse signal? Any suggestions that might help? I've also already reset network settings, twice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 1:26 PM, Azimuth said:

Stayed away from Airpods.  Went with this:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/conversation_enhancing_headphones/hearphones.html

I actually started off with Beats Solo 2 Wireless but they “clamped” my ears (I also wear spectacles) and really hurt after extended use.

Been so happy with the first set of AirPods that I gifted my wife a pair too. She uses hers more than I do!!
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Azimuth said:

I actually started off with Beats Solo 2 Wireless but they “clamped” my ears (I also wear spectacles) and really hurt after extended use.

Been so happy with the first set of AirPods that I gifted my wife a pair too. She uses hers more than I do!!

Understand over ear comfort.  I am not a fan of that style.  With air travel for my job, the supplied earphones from Apple, not air pods, did not perform very well.  The Bose set does offer noise cancellation and helps tremendously when the cabin pressurizes. Also, I am not as worried having the Bose set causing any hearing damage since I do not need to have them at max volume.