Jump to content
nobius

iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:

Not much time yet on carrier 32.5.38 (public iOS 12)

But LTE performance appears stronger.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s good to know!

Perhaps there will be an additional performance boost when the new iPhone finally gets HPUE this year as well as 600 MHz support for Roaming on T-Mobile... and then for when our magenta overlords actually take over. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That’s good to know!
Perhaps there will be an additional performance boost when the new iPhone finally gets HPUE this year as well as 600 MHz support for Roaming on T-Mobile... and then for when our magenta overlords actually take over. 



I highly doubt the new iPhone support will include either HPUE nor 600mhz. Though the latter is a higher probability. I’m doubtful T-Mobile has enough users to warrant it back last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hopefully the LTE connectivity is a lot better than the 11.4 update.

Sadly I jinxed myself I think. Ten minutes after sending that post. My X was on 3g :-(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:


Sadly I jinxed myself I think. Ten minutes after sending that post. My X was on 3g ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I wish that you could do with an iPhone is set the band priority. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Hmm—I wonder where they are looking...

As far as other options? No Idea... but given Apple’s design timeline, it’ll have to be locked down pretty soon.

We’ll likely see the Qualcomm X16 in this year’s iPhones: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/modems/4g-lte/x16

We’ll also likely see the Intel XMM 7560 in this year’s iPhones: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/mobile-communications/xmm-7560-brief.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmm—I wonder where they are looking...
Better be sitting...

Mediatek. Yup


Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone having issues with yahoo email? Starting Saturday, the iOS mail app was missing about a week's worth of emails and now it's only showing June 12th as the most recent email. It keeps telling me with numerals when I get new email, but they never load. I've already deleted the account and added it back, but no change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cyclone said:

Anyone having issues with yahoo email? Starting Saturday, the iOS mail app was missing about a week's worth of emails and now it's only showing June 12th as the most recent email. It keeps telling me with numerals when I get new email, but they never load. I've already deleted the account and added it back, but no change.

Mine is still working fine. I'm still getting all my yahoo emails strangely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't want to say the update (11.4.1) today fixed the problem because I checked immediately after updating and no change, but I just checked before leaving work and my emails are current now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cyclone said:

Don't want to say the update (11.4.1) today fixed the problem because I checked immediately after updating and no change, but I just checked before leaving work and my emails are current now...

One of the inprovements said it was improving syncing mail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think the update had no effect on my phone regarding my Yahoo emails. I woke up today and checked them using the iOS mail app only to see an empty folder. I've downloaded the yahoo mail app and they are all there, so something is amiss between my phone and the mail server

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the mail app. Why doesn’t Gmail sync with the stock mail app like outlook, exchange, and other email services does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tybo31316 said:

Speaking of the mail app. Why doesn’t Gmail sync with the stock mail app like outlook, exchange, and other email services does?

Gmail syncs with the Stock Mail App using IMAP.

However, it’s also been an option to configure a gmail account as an exchange account.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-are-gmail-exchange-activesync-settings-1170851

https://www.imore.com/how-set-exchange-accounts-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone has issues with WiFi calling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 8:26 PM, tybo31316 said:

Anyone has issues with WiFi calling?

Works ok for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big development:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/25/apple-to-use-intel-lte-chips-for-2018-iphones/

As relayed by CNBC, Qualcomm CFO George Davis told investors Apple will use a competitor's chips in its 2018 iPhones, likely speaking of Intel. 

"We believe Apple intends to solely use our competitors' modems rather than our modems in its next iPhone release. We will continue to provide modems for Apple legacy devices," said Davis.

So here’s what we’re likely to have: Intel XMM 7560 (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/mobile-communications/xmm-7560-brief.html)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I finally bought AirPods tonight. I’m so happy I bought them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Big development:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/25/apple-to-use-intel-lte-chips-for-2018-iphones/

As relayed by CNBC, Qualcomm CFO George Davis told investors Apple will use a competitor's chips in its 2018 iPhones, likely speaking of Intel. 

"We believe Apple intends to solely use our competitors' modems rather than our modems in its next iPhone release. We will continue to provide modems for Apple legacy devices," said Davis.

So here’s what we’re likely to have: Intel XMM 7560 (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/mobile-communications/xmm-7560-brief.html)

That’s a bummer. Qualcomm chips are of noticeably higher quality than Intel chips. Apple just keeps falling farther and farther behind in the RF department...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MacinJosh said:

Well, I finally bought AirPods tonight. I’m so happy I bought them.

Welcome to the club! I've had mine for a year now and still use them every day! Even bought my Mother a pair for Mother's day because she loved mine so much.

 

-Anthony

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 8:50 PM, RAvirani said:

That’s a bummer. Qualcomm chips are of noticeably higher quality than Intel chips. Apple just keeps falling farther and farther behind in the RF department...

AFter my issues with the X, I think I am done with the iphone. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AFter my issues with the X, I think I am done with the iphone. 


What type of issues are you having?

I went with the 8 Plus over the X because I fear first generation devices having issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tybo31316 said:

 


What type of issues are you having?

I went with the 8 Plus over the X because I fear first generation devices having issues.

 

I also held off on the iPhone X and got the 8 instead.

Aside from concerns about Gen. 1 glitches, many apps weren’t updated for it yet. You couldn’t have multiple profiles for Face ID. It also lacked HPUE and support for Band 71.

I plan to get the new X this year with my annual upgrade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • I assume the FCC and DOJ were waiting on this security sign off. DOJ will follow and then the FCC ...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Since people often don't like change, I could see a mad rush once the merger is approved but before it takes effect.  The first of three hurdles has been jumped (national security demand that parent firms get rid of Huawei has been accepted).  DOJ and FCC remain.
    • At least in Samsung markets with AirHarmony small cells, the PCI of small cells is 450 or greater.  EARFCN would be another way, but that sometimes gets location specific. GCI  would be another way, but then you would need to know the MM cutoff point for each market (we have those for Ohio)
    • Thank you Mike one of the guys clarified it. Good to know I wasn’t seeing things lol


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • The app already uses EARFCN as the primary means to identify the LTE band.. it will try to match a GCI pattern first, but if there are no matches or the "guessed" band does not match EARFCN data that appears to be valid, it uses the EARFCN instead. Since there are so many B14 sector possibilities right now, I don't think I will continue adding them beyond what is programmed now. Most newer devices on newer Android builds are properly reporting EARFCN, with some exceptions (issues with B66/B71 most notably). GCI pattern matching has become most useful to identify "special" cells (MM/SC/MB/Airave/etc) as well as multiple carriers.   I know this was answered elsewhere, but for the benefit of anyone who comes along later -- a small cell second carrier has been identified that follows the same GCI pattern as one sector of a Mini-Macro second carrier. Since the app has no way to know which one it is, it displays both indicators when this occurs. -Mike
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×