Google Pixel 2 XL by LG Preview/User Thread

skid71

On 8/6/2018 at 6:21 PM, crazy_vag said:

Went to Carrier Settings for "Update PRL" and "Updated device config", and LTE is back on.

Gotta wonder why that's needed.

Normally that is done automatically as part of the OS upgrade process, very weird

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 4:21 PM, crazy_vag said:

Went to Carrier Settings for "Update PRL" and "Updated device config", and LTE is back on.

Gotta wonder why that's needed.

Both my wife and I's Pixel 2 XL's will not connect to LTE roaming since updating to 9.0 Pie. Can I do a "Update device config" to see if that fixes it on Wifi? I am in non-Sprint for the next few days....

18 hours ago, though said:

Both my wife and I's Pixel 2 XL's will not connect to LTE roaming since updating to 9.0 Pie. Can I do a "Update device config" to see if that fixes it on Wifi? I am in non-Sprint for the next few days....

Turn off LTE and WiFi and try it... won't hurt.  

Just an update.... I was in full USCC territory for 4 days with 2 of these phones. Have been to the same area many times in the past without issue. This time, however, neither phone connected to any LTE roaming, none zip zero. Prior to this trip I would connect primarily on USCC with some AT&T here and there the entire time.

I tried rebooting, toggling airplane mode, changing the radio to "LTE Only", making sure Data roaming was enabled, power off/on, a zillion times.

Is this a 9.0 Pie issue? Sprint issue? How do I report this to the "correct" people?

1 hour ago, though said:

Just an update.... I was in full USCC territory for 4 days with 2 of these phones. Have been to the same area many times in the past without issue. This time, however, neither phone connected to any LTE roaming, none zip zero. Prior to this trip I would connect primarily on USCC with some AT&T here and there the entire time.

I tried rebooting, toggling airplane mode, changing the radio to "LTE Only", making sure Data roaming was enabled, power off/on, a zillion times.

Is this a 9.0 Pie issue? Sprint issue? How do I report this to the "correct" people?

Did you try making a phone call? I hear somethings that works

Started having very weird band changes in the past few weeks.  My phone will stick and hold on to ehprd for a long time.  Even when I get home to my magic box, it can take up to 30 mins to get a stable LTE signal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

Started having very weird band changes in the past few weeks.  My phone will stick and hold on to ehprd for a long time.  Even when I get home to my magic box, it can take up to 30 mins to get a stable LTE signal.

Yes been noticing this as well.

1 hour ago, though said:

Yes been noticing this as well.

I'm thinking this is in relation to VoLTE coming with more strict signal strength hand offs...

6 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

I'm thinking this is in relation to VoLTE coming with more strict signal strength hand offs...

and/or a possible transition to T-Mobile roaming in the market????

I am seeing similar behavior where I am onLTE then on eHRPD and down to 1x and back to eHRPD etc. Only happening since the 9.0 update but as mentioned it also somewhat coincides with the soft launch of VoLTE in Chicagoland.  I have done all the carrier updates with no luck but have not full reset yet.  Has anyone found a permanent solution to this?

34 minutes ago, wobbypetty said:

I am seeing similar behavior where I am onLTE then on eHRPD and down to 1x and back to eHRPD etc. Only happening since the 9.0 update but as mentioned it also somewhat coincides with the soft launch of VoLTE in Chicagoland.  I have done all the carrier updates with no luck but have not full reset yet.  Has anyone found a permanent solution to this?

I did a factory data reset one one of my Pixel 2 XL's. Made no difference...

16 hours ago, wobbypetty said:

I did every beta of 9 and had it on release day, this behavior was not occurring.  I'm certain it has to do with VoLTE and sharper handoff metrics.

12 minutes ago, jefbal99 said:

I did every beta of 9 and had it on release day, this behavior was not occurring.  I'm certain it has to do with VoLTE and sharper handoff metrics.

Yeah that makes very good sense.  So if you dont mind explaining to me what the ultimate fix will be and what they are currently tweaking?  Sounds like they are prepping for the quickest handoff so that the phone is losing little to zero voice packets I just dont know how they accomplish that technically and why it is affecting our service so severely right now. 

28 minutes ago, wobbypetty said:

Yeah that makes very good sense.  So if you dont mind explaining to me what the ultimate fix will be and what they are currently tweaking?  Sounds like they are prepping for the quickest handoff so that the phone is losing little to zero voice packets I just dont know how they accomplish that technically and why it is affecting our service so severely right now. 

I honestly don't know.  My assumption is that Sprint is forcing an LTE->eHRPD cut off at a lesser signal strength than previous to ensure QOS when on VoLTE.  This ensures that a VoLTE session is stable in a call.

The fix is network densification...

• Love 1

I wonder if they can broadcast different disconnect thresholds for different devices. I guess it comes down to whether LTE signaling is broadcast/multicast or unicast.

The Pixel 2 for example always maintains a 1x connection (SRLTE) with Sprint, so if LTE is too weak for a VoLTE call, then Sprint can just send it via 1x and pretend the phone isn't on LTE.

With a Verizon SIM, my phone often will maintain SRLTE as well, at least for a little while before going LTE only. So I expect Sprint would keep SRLTE active all the time until they're confident in their network density.

If they can't have different disconnect thresholds for different devices, then yeah we might start seeing drops to CDMA more frequently unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
The October patch for (Pie) has been pushed out today. Please post if you are able to successfully roam after you run the patch on your Pixel 2 and 2 XL.
There is also a "Carrier Services" app update available in the Play Store.

Not sure if it's possible that a fix could be in there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

I got the carrier services update a few days ago, but still living on the Sept Security patch.  Haven't gotten the Oct patch yet

Go to settings, system, advanced, system update, check for update

3 minutes ago, though said:

Go to settings, system, advanced, system update, check for update

oh i have multiple times, just haven't gotten to me in the availability yet.

oh i have multiple times, just haven't gotten to me in the availability yet.
Did you ever opt in for the beta of pie? If you don't leave the beta then you won't receive the update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk