Google Pixel 2 XL by LG Preview/User Thread

skid71

You cannot play that card with me.  I have a Pixel 2 XL.  It is an odd duck.  Unattractive appearance, finish, and feel.  And that does not even address the second class OLED screen.  Not worth $900+.
AJ

Unfortunately we won’t be getting the HTC 11+ in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, though said:

how's the radio in the XL2 in your opinion?

I routinely have most recent unlocked handsets in house. And I judge RF performance primarily via band 41 affinity.  In that regard, the Pixel 2 XL is significantly better than the Pixel XL, holding band 41 in many more locations during drive testing.  However, it is not necessarily an apples to apples comparison -- like many other current generation handsets on Sprint, the Pixel 2 XL runs in always on SRLTE mode, while the Pixel XL falls back to SRLTE mode only occasionally.  Additionally, the Moto X4 may be superior to both.

AJ

2 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

I routinely have most recent unlocked handsets in house. And I judge RF performance primarily via band 41 affinity.  In that regard, the Pixel 2 XL is significantly better than the Pixel XL, holding band 41 in many more locations during drive testing.  However, it is not necessarily an apples to apples comparison -- like many other current generation handsets on Sprint, the Pixel 2 XL runs in always on SRLTE mode, while the Pixel XL falls back to SRLTE mode only occasionally.  Additionally, the Moto X4 may be superior to both.

AJ

thanks for your input!

I've moved from Pixel XL to Pixel 2 XL.  I think the reception is worse than in Pixel 1 XL.  I've got very low reception in my condo, so my phone is usually parked on Band 26.  In rooms where I used to get calls, I see Pixel 2 XL with RSRP of -114 - 116.  In blunt terms, my phone doesn't always ring anymore.  In the meantime, still waiting for that magic box that we qualified for back in June. :(

I've moved from Pixel XL to Pixel 2 XL.  I think the reception is worse than in Pixel 1 XL.  I've got very low reception in my condo, so my phone is usually parked on Band 26.  In rooms where I used to get calls, I see Pixel 2 XL with RSRP of -114 - 116.  In blunt terms, my phone doesn't always ring anymore.  In the meantime, still waiting for that magic box that we qualified for back in June. [emoji20]
Have you tried emailing the booster team?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've noticed my Pixel 2 XL has a lower rsrp for B41 (by about 5-10 dbm) than the original Pixel XL, but will hold onto it longer in the same location. 5 ghz wifi is also consistently 10 dbm weaker, but it seems to hold it and work fine at the weaker signal level. B25 and B26 are exactly the same on both devices, but it seems the 2 XL may hold LTE a bit longer before dropping to 3G

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, finally joined the bandwagon after having the MXP for 2 years. Really considered the Moto X4 as I love Moto Actions and gestures but it couldn't go back to 1 speaker and smaller screen so it was time to leave Moto since Lenovo took over.

In terms of connectivity I am connected to LTE Band 25 while sitting in my office which the MXP would hardly connect to simply falling to 3G. Theres a MM Tower behind my office building, it seems B41 does not reach on the other side of my building (concrete walls building) I'm on the first floor, 2nd floor connects to B41 with no issues, unfortunately that tower is very congested. Nothing technical but all good so far.

Well, finally joined the bandwagon after having the MXP for 2 years. Really considered the Moto X4 as I love Moto Actions and gestures but it couldn't go back to 1 speaker and smaller screen so it was time to leave Moto since Lenovo took over.
In terms of connectivity I am connected to LTE Band 25 while sitting in my office which the MXP would hardly connect to simply falling to 3G. Theres a MM Tower behind my office building, it seems B41 does not reach on the other side of my building (concrete walls building) I'm on the first floor, 2nd floor connects to B41 with no issues, unfortunately that tower is very congested. Nothing technical but all good so far.
Would you be allowed to get a MB for ur office?

5 hours ago, imex99 said:

Would you be allowed to get a MB for ur office?

Its possible, I lock my office after going home but facilities and cleaning crews have access. Is there a fee associated if the device is lost or stolen?  It would be nice to get B41 from the MB for all employees that work on the first floor and have Sprint :)  Our building is terrible with cell reception, Verizon and T-mobile as useless, no signal at all. ATT & Sprint work ok, must say ATT is our business partner by providing our company iphones. 

B41 connects once in a while in my office from that MM Tower behind the building 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imex99 said:

Yea, can finally redeem my Google home mini....

Thanks for the heads up claimed mine too. I could not find it in the inbox at first it was hiding in the promotion tab.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this morning that my Pixel  2 XL was connected to LTE Band 2 and Signal Check stated it was Sprint LTE. I did a quick google search and found on Reddit that Sprint has some chunks of B2. Is this correct? 

Just noticed this morning that my Pixel  2 XL was connected to LTE Band 2 and Signal Check stated it was Sprint LTE. I did a quick google search and found on Reddit that Sprint has some chunks of B2. Is this correct? 
Any B25 carrier that isn't in the G block is technically B2. B25 is a superset of B2. Sprint has many second B25 carriers throughout the country (Columbus, Cleveland, and San Francisco for sure). I didn't realize they were also broadcasting it as B2... likely it's for roaming compatibility with other providers whose phones may only support B2 but not B25.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 12:20 PM, ingenium said:

Any B25 carrier that isn't in the G block is technically B2. B25 is a superset of B2. Sprint has many second B25 carriers throughout the country (Columbus, Cleveland, and San Francisco for sure). I didn't realize they were also broadcasting it as B2... likely it's for roaming compatibility with other providers whose phones may only support B2 but not B25.

Almost every market at this point has a second B25 carrier, or a widened carrier using PCS C+G.Unless something has changed, any PCS LTE from Sprint is being broadcast as B25. It could be a device issue, recognizing the the second carrier as B2 for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Are folks still experiencing screen issues with this phone? I'm either buying this for myself or waiting on the GS9+. No one has been talking about this phone much in recent months neither here nor in the media.  So seeking a little input. 

Are folks still experiencing screen issues with this phone? I'm either buying this for myself or waiting on the GS9+. No one has been talking about this phone much in recent months neither here nor in the media.  So seeking a little input. 
No issues here, love my phone!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

You forget about the blue tint as it does exist but your eyes definitely adjust! If I am being honest I prefer the size of the OG pixel in regard to weight balance in hand. I also miss the heft of my 7 plus the2 XL is really hollow feeling. Go to Verizon for yourself, to see a model before you make a decision! 

• Like 1

I did a few months ago but this lady and her kid were doing the most by asking far too many rookie questions to the rep about the phone.  Fed up, I simply turned around and walked out of the store, unable to have physically handled the device myself. 

Screen Off Widget???

I would like a shortcut on my phone to be able to tap and shut the screen off (not lock it). Is this an option with stock Android? I hate having to press the physical off button 100x per day just to get the screen to go off to put the phone in my pocket or save battery.

Edit: I have found this app to work pretty well!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redmanit.lockscreen

Screen Off Widget???
I would like a shortcut on my phone to be able to tap and shut the screen off (not lock it). Is this an option with stock Android? I hate having to press the physical off button 100x per day just to get the screen to go off to put the phone in my pocket or save battery.
You can do it with Tasker. Make a new task that runs system lock (display->system lock). You can then add a shortcut to that task with some launchers (Nova being one of them). I'm not sure if the stock launcher allows Tasker shortcuts.

• 2 weeks later...