Google Pixel 2 XL by LG Preview/User Thread

skid71

42 minutes ago, cletus said:

My 64 GB Nexus 6P was $549! The 64 GB Pixel XL2 is $849. Have phones really become $300 better?

I personally do not see $300 in improvement here. I guess I will stick with my Nexus 6P.

That's an excellent question.  You answered it with your second-to-last sentence.  Subjective to each user/buyer.

A few of the reasons I chose to pay for the upgrade from a 6p, in no particular order:

Display; bigger, brighter

Unlimited Google Photos storage

3 years of software updates (and assuming a year or two after that of monthly security patches)

Camera improvements (hardware)

Radio/connectivity upgrades

My wife and I have an upgrade cycle in which we budget for, and works for us.  There may be more things I could add to this later, but these are the things that come to mind quickly.

Honestly, I asked myself the question you posed over the past few weeks.

• Like 1

Pros/Cons for the Pixel 2 XL versus the LG V30 on Sprint?  Seems like its down to:

LG V30-  dual cameras and WiFi calling, Quad DAC, B71 if you're the pro-merger type. 

Pixel 2 XL- Free full res. photo/video uploads, better (albeit single )rear camera, better front camera, front facing speakers, &... It's a Pixel. 

Both are HPUE and both are 4x4 B41. Looks like two amazing and very similar phones.

Any glaring omissions from my little phone decision comparison?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fizzicsguy said:

Pros/Cons for the Pixel 2 XL versus the LG V30 on Sprint?  Seems like its down to:

LG V30-  dual cameras and WiFi calling, Quad DAC, B71 if you're the pro-merger type. 

Pixel 2 XL- Free full res. photo/video uploads, better (albeit single )rear camera, better front camera, front facing speakers, &... It's a Pixel. 

Both are HPUE and both are 4x4 B41. Looks like two amazing and very similar phones.

The lack of a headphone jack on the Pixel could be a big differentiation between the two phones. 

1 hour ago, fizzicsguy said:

The V30 supports 4xCA DL on Band 41 and 2XCA on Band 41 UL. The Pixels do not.

6 hours ago, TimS said:

I don't think it supports 4x4 on B41

It looks like bands 1,2,3,4,5,7 & 38 do

5 hours ago, uecker87 said:

Hmm.  Idk.  Weird how B41 has just a little 2 and not a star.

pixel.PNG

The 2 also happens to correspond to the foot note for 4x4 MIMO support. It is a typo. The phone supports 4x4 on B41. We've read the FCC documents.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cletus said:

My 64 GB Nexus 6P was $549! The 64 GB Pixel XL2 is $849. Have phones really become $300 better?

Pixel has been a paradigm shift.  While Nexus was priced squarely at the mid range, Pixel is aimed at the high end flagship.  Some surmised that to compete with the mind share held by Apple and Samsung, Google should raise its prices to a premium, as the buying public associates price with quality, status, etc.  And that seems to have borne out last year and particularly this year.

AJ

• Like 3

https://blog.google/products/project-fi/device-setup-esim/

SIM cards are overrated -- and undersized.  Hasta la vista.

AJ

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

https://blog.google/products/project-fi/device-setup-esim/

SIM cards are overrated -- and undersized.  Hasta la vista.

AJ

So how does this device work with other networks besides project Fi? They say they are only trialing it for Fi. So does it still use a regular SIM card is for use on other networks?

21 hours ago, cletus said:

I personally do not see $300 in improvement here. I guess I will stick with my Nexus 6P.

Where did you buy it from?

4 minutes ago, cletus said:

My nexus 6p? I bought it from Google. Release day price for it really was $549.

Google will swap your 6p for a Pixel XL at no cost due to the battery issues....I would call them and take advantage of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, imex99 said:

Google will swap your 6p for a Pixel XL at no cost due to the battery issues....I would call them and take advantage of it. 

Yeah, I know, but I already swapped mine for a refurb 6P about 4 months ago and this one works fine. I suppose I could do that and then trade the phone right back in but that doesn't feel right. Google already did me a solid considering I didn't pay for warranty.

Well, I'm going to cancel my order....unless someone wants to take it, should be delivered 10/19 or 10/20.

Really enjoying the v30 and don't feel like messing with both and picking one phone and returning the other.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Apparently you need an ISIM sim card for the Pixel 2 XL on Sprint, last years Pixel sim card won't work. I just ordered (LTEGSM 4FF REM ISIM V2) from Sprint Order Support (866-203-1816) So if you have a Pixel 2 coming you should call.

• Like 2

So the Pixel 2/ Pixel 2 XL support 4x4 on B2 but not on B25? That seems like an odd omission... is that a typo?

So the Pixel 2/ Pixel 2 XL support 4x4 on B2 but not on B25? That seems like an odd omission... is that a typo?
Fcc document afaik states support 4x4 on B2/25/4/66/38/41.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1