Sprint Rumored to be Considering Investment in Telefónica México was (Sprint is Coming to Mexico!)

RAvirani

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/cartera/economia/2017/06/16/sprint-pone-la-mira-en-telefonica-mexico

So it looks like Sprint may be planning on buying Telefonica (Movistar) in Mexico. What do y’all think?

This surprises me that this would be pursued if a Tmo merger is being planned.  Weird.

Robert

• Like 1

I think that the title of this thread is a bit premature.

Especially based on a single foreign article from nearly two weeks ago that had no comment from either party and was never picked up by the U.S. financial media.

I really hope Sprint doesn't do this. I think it would be just as bad of an idea as when AT&T purchased in Mexico. Although I doubt Sprint would be this wasteful of money. At least Pokemon and Tidal are interests within its existing U.S. base of operations not requiring of extensive costs beyond just promotions.

And why wouldn't this be a SoftBank purchase instead of Sprint?  A Latin America expansion by Masa makes sense.  A Sprint expansion?  Not now.

Robert

• Like 3

I could see Softbank acquiring Telefonica’s operations in Mexico and bringing them to the table in Sprint/T-Mobile merger talks. It could help them to acquire a higher stake in the merged company.

• Like 2

And why wouldn't this be a SoftBank purchase instead of Sprint?  A Latin America expansion by Masa makes sense.  A Sprint expansion?  Not now.

Robert

I could see Softbank expanding in Mexico and Canada.

• Like 1

I really hope Sprint doesn't do this. I think it would be just as bad of an idea as when AT&T purchased in Mexico. Although I doubt Sprint would be this wasteful of money. At least Pokemon and Tidal are interests within its existing U.S. base of operations not requiring of extensive costs beyond just promotions.

By the looks of it AT&T's decision to expand into Mexico has been really beneficial. They brought a lot of competition, expanded LTE coverage there, and have seen growth there while their growth in the U.S. slows/stagnates.

I could see Softbank expanding in Mexico and Canada.

What would SoftBank buy in Canada?  Not Bell, Telus, or Rogers.

AJ

By the looks of it AT&T's decision to expand into Mexico has been really beneficial. They brought a lot of competition, expanded LTE coverage there, and have seen growth there while their growth in the U.S. slows/stagnates.

The problem with AT&T is exactly what they've created by ignoring the U.S. and going into Mexico. It has left their U.S. network to decline in quality, while T-Mobile now is regularly beating it in U.S. network ratings. T-Mobile very well could soon be the new partner in the "Duopoly" with Verizon.

If Sprint were to get its network deployment and densification going strong, they could easily overtake AT&T's third place spot, leaving AT&T dead last. All the cheap Directv add-on packages and Free HBO isn't going to help a network-declining AT&T, which happens to be why I haven't yet left T-Mobile for them. The network is a huge factor, despite whatever enticing package deals there are from AT&T.

What would SoftBank buy in Canada?  Not Bell, Telus, or Rogers.

AJ

If they wanted to, I guess they could purchase Freedom Mobile and any one of the smaller "regional" carriers that cover a single province like Vidéotron (Quebec), Sasktel (Saskatchewan), Ice Wireless (Yukon and Northwest Territories), Eastlink (Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island), etc.

The problem likely isn't price since they're all pretty small, it's that there is a huge barrier to entry. It would take enormous investment to expand LTE or even just the networks as a whole to the size of Rogers, Bell, and Telus while also undercutting them in price. Just look at Freedom Mobile's ARPU vs the big 3. Additionally, virtually every independent mobile network operator in Canada has a roaming agreement with one of the 3 big carriers and are dependent on them for nationwide coverage outside of their home area. It's not even like there is anything like the CCA so regional carriers can go around Bell, Telus, and Rogers.

If they wanted to, I guess they could purchase Freedom Mobile and any one of the smaller "regional" carriers that cover a single province like Vidéotron (Quebec), Sasktel (Saskatchewan), Ice Wireless (Yukon and Northwest Territories), Eastlink (Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island), etc.

The problem likely isn't price since they're all pretty small, it's that there is a huge barrier to entry.

I believe the bigger barrier is the Canadian big 3 lobby, Bell especially. There was a bit of a hullabaloo a few years ago when Verizon considered bidding for Mobilicity and some Canadian frequencies.

http://www.bell.ca/an-open-letter-to-all-canadians

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/verizons-canadian-dalliance-deeper-than-admitted/article14427259/

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/att-verizon-auction-spending-rule-out-canada-expansion/

Maybe not sell off your Nextel holdings next time?

Nextel International (NII Holdings) is/was a separate company.

AJ