Essentially a sprint exclusive.

mc_gusto

On 10/28/2017 at 4:56 PM, imex99 said:

I'll try to get my code....First to PM me will get it if I'm successful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If I win the raffle, I'll take it from you, rest of the phone money will get donated back to S4GRU

Just wanted to touch base.  I got the phone Friday and activation had to be done via Sprint chat as the IMEI didn't register on their site.  Post activation the phone has been great.  The signal seems to be comparable to my G6 and haven't noticed it being any worse.  The build quality of the phone is pretty awesome. The texture, the weight, the screen all make this thing pretty snazzy.  I did put a Tudia case on it as much as I didn't want to. Definitely glad to be back to stock android.

Actually the only signal thing I noticed was when it was first activated I had a LTE+ icon instead of LTE...however after a few days now the LTE+ icon has never come back. Wondering if this left over programming from the previous owner and took a few days to clear out.  Also this phone does PRL and Profile updates way different than any Sprint phone I have.  It actually looks like it opens a web browser to download and install them.  Tethering was also hidden however you can create a shortcut with Nova to bring that back.  Tethering works straight out of the box no hotspot extra purchase needed.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, imex99 said:

I put request in for code, one person in front of you Jeff. If he doesn't use it, I'll have him pass it along to you.

Crap I misread your initial post and thought once you actually received the code we would have to PM you. Add me to the bottom of the long list then. lol

Essential pushed out an update...for those on Sprint you can either wait till Sprint pushes it or learn to use ADB.  The update definitely made the fingerprint faster and the screen touches/scrolling even better.  This phone is approaching hell of a deal territory if only Essential would release the system dumps so developers can run with it.

6 hours ago, sarcoptic said:

Essential pushed out an update...for those on Sprint you can either wait till Sprint pushes it or learn to use ADB.  The update definitely made the fingerprint faster and the screen touches/scrolling even better.  This phone is approaching hell of a deal territory if only Essential would release the system dumps so developers can run with it.

updates are not done like with the pixel / nexus phones, straight from google / essential?  the draw of these types of phones is that you get updates quicker and do not have to rely on the carrier.

That is actually incorrect.  If you have a Sprint sim card in your Essential phone you will not get the update straight from them.  You have to wait for Sprint to push it out.  Hence you can either use adb and sideload the update leaving your Sprint sim card in or have another carrier sim (doesn't even have to activated) and plug that in.  At that point the phone will update straight from Essential.  

7 minutes ago, sarcoptic said:

That is actually incorrect.  If you have a Sprint sim card in your Essential phone you will not get the update straight from them.  You have to wait for Sprint to push it out.  Hence you can either use adb and sideload the update leaving your Sprint sim card in or have another carrier sim (doesn't even have to activated) and plug that in.  At that point the phone will update straight from Essential.  

that is so silly.  wonder why they would go that route and hope pthat does nto cause problems down the road.  i automatically assumed we benefited from a pixel type update method, straight from them.

1 minute ago, swintec said:

that is so silly.  wonder why they would go that route and hope pthat does nto cause problems down the road.  i automatically assumed we benefited from a pixel type update method, straight from them.

Ha I agree...but at least we can still unlock the bootloader :)

I'm getting ready to order the Essential phone and was curious how the wifi calling quality is with this phone?

Also if you buy the phone unlocked from Essential the wifi calling will still be pre-installed right? Since the unlocked version doesn't come with any carrier bloatware......Or do I have to buy the sprint version to get wifi calling..?

Thx

Got mine in today...friend got two codes (two phone purchases originally) and figured I'd help him out by buying them off of him. He + his wife are using the phone on Verizon FWIW.

The phone is definitely heavier/boxier than my Pixel, but it has smaller H/W dimensions, which still astonishes me given the screen size. Build quality is solid. NFC works well as long as you realize it's near the bottom of the device.

...and I'm waiting on chat with Sprint now to get the darned thing activated. There's an on-device activation procedure but it's complaining about the SIM from my pixel not being compatible. Wish me luck, I guess.

Side note: it's a little disappointing for apps like Uber, which will normally take over the notification bar with their background, to not do so on the Essential. So you end up with the notch area being notifications on a black background. Not the worst thing ever, but could be better. Would also be kinda cool if Duo took over the notch while on a call, but maybe I'm asking for too much, given the low number of phones that apparently sold here.

• Like 1

Got mine in today...friend got two codes (two phone purchases originally) and figured I'd help him out by buying them off of him. He + his wife are using the phone on Verizon FWIW.
The phone is definitely heavier/boxier than my Pixel, but it has smaller H/W dimensions, which still astonishes me given the screen size. Build quality is solid. NFC works well as long as you realize it's near the bottom of the device.
...and I'm waiting on chat with Sprint now to get the darned thing activated. There's an on-device activation procedure but it's complaining about the SIM from my pixel not being compatible. Wish me luck, I guess.
Side note: it's a little disappointing for apps like Uber, which will normally take over the notification bar with their background, to not do so on the Essential. So you end up with the notch area being notifications on a black background. Not the worst thing ever, but could be better. Would also be kinda cool if Duo took over the notch while on a call, but maybe I'm asking for too much, given the low number of phones that apparently sold here.
Pixel 1 sim won't work with the essential phone.....

ISIM, USIM, C all SIM for ISIM.

AJ

• Like 2

Ah, I can live with that then. Was worried they were going back to device specific SIMs or something silly like that. Looks like I'll be at the Sprint store bright and early tomorrow so I can put my FreedomPop SIM back in my tablet :)

Didn't take too long at the Sprint store to get the right SIM and get service swapped over :D. Quality of staff over there has gotten better over the years.

Feels like HPUE really does help here. Upload speeds aren't quite as shoddy on B41 as with my Pixel.

Didn't take too long at the Sprint store to get the right SIM and get service swapped over :D. Quality of staff over there has gotten better over the years.
Feels like HPUE really does help here. Upload speeds aren't quite as shoddy on B41 as with my Pixel.
The device doesn't support Hpue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

The device doesn't support Hpue.

Thanks for the correction. Could've sworn I had seen somewhere that it was. But found another place saying that it definitively doesn't do HPUE. Sorry for spreading misinformation there.

Thanks for the correction. Could've sworn I had seen somewhere that it was. But found another place saying that it definitively doesn't do HPUE. Sorry for spreading misinformation there.
It's still good to know it has a good 41 reception w/o Hpue. :)

On 11/4/2017 at 4:15 PM, MileHI38 said:

I'm getting ready to order the Essential phone and was curious how the wifi calling quality is with this phone?

Also if you buy the phone unlocked from Essential the wifi calling will still be pre-installed right? Since the unlocked version doesn't come with any carrier bloatware......Or do I have to buy the sprint version to get wifi calling..?

Thx

I don't know if you have to buy the Carrier Locked model for WiFi Calling but the quality is good.  I have used it with my Netgear Orbi and Enterprise Network at work and it works well. It also hands off to Cellular when the wifi drops.

• Love 1

On 11/4/2017 at 3:15 PM, MileHI38 said:

Thx

My direct-from-Essential phone has WiFi calling. Works well, though you have to manually set it up the first time by putting in e911 info.

As far as I can tell, the software running on the direct vs. Sprint versions of the phone is identical.