Essentially a sprint exclusive.

mc_gusto

Just got my phone today guys......curious is the latest build update NMI81C? ............. that's what mine is at and at Sept 5th security patch?
I thought that latest update enabled scrolling with the fingerprint sensor that I've seen on some YT videos[emoji20] or has that particular update not hit the Essential phones that are bought from Sprint yet??
Thx
You either need to take beta or swap a non sprint sim in for update..... Crap, not sure if non sprint sim will work if carried locked or not!

Non sprint sim worked on unlocked version,....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tried ordering last night. I don't wanna replace a line, but I already have 5 limes on my ed1500 plan. Gonna try today to get exception for my 6th line and then pay off lease. Then cancel the 6th line. All my subs are iPhones except mine. And I don't wanna lose my eligibility just yet.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

i hate to be the outlier here but this thing is absolute crap RF perf. wise.  I got it all set up last night and just using it around the house had me asking myself how this made it into real world usage.  i havent even got to really try things out with LTE.  Just trying to use it for voice / evdo was a nightmare.  i dont have high reception in my house anyways but all prior phones ive had before handled it fine and allowed light browsing and what not and making / receiving phone calls without issue.  Now i am lucky for it to maintain EVDO while i hold it and if it does that, 10-15 second page loads are the norm.  I am scared to see what happens if i try to use it in the spring when foliage comes back.

Could it be because im left handed?  Could it just be a lemon?  god i hope so.

i will try the Oreo beta tonight to see if that helps any but i am not very optimistic.

I can't get the discount being on ED1500, i think its because one of my lines is still utilizes a subsidized discount from a year ago.

For me would it be $25 + $90 ($5/month 18 months) +$145 lease payoff?

15 minutes ago, swintec said:

i hate to be the outlier here but this thing is absolute crap RF perf. wise.  I got it all set up last night and just using it around the house had me asking myself how this made it into real world usage.  i havent even got to really try things out with LTE.  Just trying to use it for voice / evdo was a nightmare.  i dont have high reception in my house anyways but all prior phones ive had before handled it fine and allowed light browsing and what not and making / receiving phone calls without issue.  Now i am lucky for it to maintain EVDO while i hold it and if it does that, 10-15 second page loads are the norm.  I am scared to see what happens if i try to use it in the spring when foliage comes back.

Could it be because im left handed?  Could it just be a lemon?  god i hope so.

i will try the Oreo beta tonight to see if that helps any but i am not very optimistic.

I'm glad you said this:unsure:.......set mine up yesterday/night and noticed the difference in RF signal quality vs V20 unfortunately. The weird thing is when I turn on wifi calling on the essential phone as soon as it connects to my wifi network the cell/radio signal goes to roaming while I'm on wifi calling? In LTE discovery it shows IWLAN and no longer shows my RF LTE signal....whereas the V20 never showed that, and always showed the signal strength in db...?

Question is, do you guys think that it's solely a software issue that can be resolved to improve signal strength? Or is it a hardware/antenna placement issue that would cause the sub-par signal strength?

Either way for $145 I'm not terribly disappointed and I'll still keep this phone as a backup or for my kids to play games or watch videos on. I'll continue to monitor the progress with updates like Oreo etc......but I'll probably go with a different phone for my daily here soon.

12 minutes ago, MileHI38 said:

I'm glad you said this:unsure:.......set mine up yesterday/night and noticed the difference in RF signal quality vs V20 unfortunately.

marginal differences are understandable but putting it side by side to the POS htc bolt, there is a 9-12 dBm difference between the two for 1x.  EVDO is a bit better i suppose but it still doesnt feel very usable.  Simialr results to my nexus 5X.  In my case, i had okay service in my house with all past phones but it was usable, albeit at 3G.  With the essential, im not even sure if i could walk around the house and talk on it.

I think many are probably connected to LTE even at home these days so they may not notice the poor levels.  Me, I am worried about what will happen when the foliage comes back on the trees in the spring.

I can't get the discount being on ED1500, i think its because one of my lines is still utilizes a subsidized discount from a year ago.
For me would it be $25 + $90 ($5/month 18 months) +$145 lease payoff?
Oh really? How about just setting up a new line with a new plan. Then canceling?

33 minutes ago, mc_gusto said:

Oh really? How about just setting up a new line with a new plan. Then canceling?

Nope, I think because my account still has the subsidy flag.  I got the option to add a line for 29.99/month, Plus the $5/month lease, plus $25.00 up front.

12 minutes ago, jefbal99 said:

Nope, I think because my account still has the subsidy flag.  I got the option to add a line for 29.99/month, Plus the $5/month lease, plus $25.00 up front.

what is your subsidy?  like under a contract or like a loyalty credit or something?  i was still in a 2 year contract so i paid off the ETF and had the upgrade eligibility reset and i was able to get this deal.

Can you set up a brand new account not associated with your ed1500? And just cancel after you pay off lease

10 minutes ago, swintec said:

what is your subsidy?  like under a contract or like a loyalty credit or something?  i was still in a 2 year contract so i paid off the ETF and had the upgrade eligibility reset and i was able to get this deal.

Under contract, My mom needed a new phone, so I used a subsidy upgrade a bit over a year ago to get her a 128gb Galaxy S6 for free.  It's got 9 months left, so it'd would cost me $180.

THis would be a great deal if it worked out.

3 minutes ago, mc_gusto said:

Can you set up a brand new account not associated with your ed1500? And just cancel after you pay off lease

I don't want to go thru all that, but props for the ingenuity...

I am on day 2 of using this phone now, I took advantage of the deal as well. I really do love this phone, but seeing the same signal quality issues. Have not done any comparisons yet, but when traveling to work with Android auto I see the no connection symbol a lot more. Also got a GPS lost alert a couple of times.

I have a very poor signal at home already, so glad it does have wifi calling. I will have to do some comparisons with my other phone over the weekend.

I'm also disappointed that Sprint is holding back the updates. May have to invest in a simple card just for that.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, llm5505 said:

I am on day 2 of using this phone now, I took advantage of the deal as well. I really do love this phone, but seeing the same signal quality issues. Have not done any comparisons yet, but when traveling to work with Android auto I see the no connection symbol a lot more. Also got a GPS lost alert a couple of times.

I have a very poor signal at home already, so glad it does have wifi calling. I will have to do some comparisons with my other phone over the weekend.

I'm also disappointed that Sprint is holding back the updates. May have to invest in a simple card just for that.

This happened with the MXPE, to get around we pulled the SIM and connected directly to a WiFi connection, then updates were available.

• Like 1

This happened with the MXPE, to get around we pulled the SIM and connected directly to a WiFi connection, then updates were available.
Thanks I'll give that a try. I did do the updates before activating the phone, but the Sim card was installed.

58 minutes ago, llm5505 said:

That's my biggest question is if the RF issues that might plague some (not all essential phones) phones can be fixed with software?? Or is it a hardware issue or antenna placement?

1 hour ago, MileHI38 said:

That's my biggest question is if the RF issues that might plague some (not all essential phones) phones can be fixed with software?? Or is it a hardware issue or antenna placement?

Not all essentials have the problem?  its a fringe coverage area type thing that is causing the problem.  Living in a city blanketed with decent LTE all around one wont really notice it and think its a problem.

EDIT- Fringe coverage, but for me, all prior phones gave me satisfactory service in the house while the essential can not.

2 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

Under contract, My mom needed a new phone, so I used a subsidy upgrade a bit over a year ago to get her a 128gb Galaxy S6 for free.  It's got 9 months left, so it'd would cost me $180.

THis would be a great deal if it worked out.

its a very straight forward process.  call care and tell them you want to pay off the ETF on the line.  also be clear at the end that you want the upgrade eligibility reset so you can take advantage of a lease.

if you have an older smart phone or even a flip phone kicking around, add that in place of the S6 and the ETF will drop significantly. ;)

i did this in store / out in the parking lot of the store so maybe they can do it for you.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:23 PM, iansltx said:

My one worry here is that they won't sell enough phones, and the PH-1 will be a one-hit wonder. With the insane Flex Lease promos that started today that problem shouldn't exist in theory, but we'll see, I guess.

Also, I may have to take back what I said about RF perf. Either the phone doesn't play nice with ex-CLWR B41 or there's something else rotten afoot, based on the poor performance I had last night in an area that's had B41 for quite awhile. Felt like the phone either couldn't muster the transmit power to keep a reliable connection or it was being way too aggressive about jumping on B41 over B25. Not sure which. Either way, I'll continue reporting RF findings. Guess my v2 Moto X is gonna get some use again :)

Yes i have the same experience i get very good download speeds but upload is cero, cant use  apps or websites that requires you to sign in.

6 minutes ago, mc_gusto said:

Tried chat and calling. They both won't let me pay full amount of lease up front.

Whats the rush?  get everything up and running, lease established, etc.  then take care of paying off.

6 minutes ago, mc_gusto said:

Tried chat and calling. They both won't let me pay full amount of lease up front.

Have you tried canceling the lease, that's how the rep did it on chat and all the lease and buy out option total 120 plus taxes 

Whats the rush?  get everything up and running, lease established, etc.  then take care of paying off.
I kept asking them what the purchasing option would be after the lease was over in 18 months and they both quoted the full price. I just wanna make sure. Maybe they've gotten hip to it. I thought theyd have a lot of calls about it. Maybe I should stop in a store.

4 minutes ago, mc_gusto said:

I kept asking them what the purchasing option would be after the lease was over in 18 months and they both quoted the full price. I just wanna make sure. Maybe they've gotten hip to it. I thought theyd have a lot of calls about it. Maybe I should stop in a store.

try checking out on the website.  somewhere towards the end it will have a copy of the lease agreement and costs associated, even if you have to do it as a new user it should at least show you the costs.

• Like 1