Essentially a sprint exclusive.

mc_gusto

I went to Best Buy last night (in the area) to at least get a quick hands on with the device to see how it is, before I get mine.  Asked where it was and told we dont have it at all (despite having a sprint display among the others).  Fine.  Go further into the mall to the Sprint kiosk expecting them to have it (being a sprint exclusive and all) and i get blank stares.  They have no idea what it is and point me to a Moto thinking that must be it.  i didnt try the sprint brick and mortar store but may head out that way saturday night (but will call first) however i dont think i will hold my breath. very strange.

Yea it's pretty sad because I've been to some Sprint corporate brick and mortar stores recently since the price drop and even though they have the essential phone on display they all still had the price @ $699!!

I told the employees that the price has been permanently dropped to $499 and they just look at me with the deer in the headlights look and shrug their shoulders? One store said they hadn't sold not 1 essential phone since they got it in:(

I hope Andy Rubin does something different with marketing with the next Essential phone to avoid what happened with this botched launch<_<

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MileHI38 said:

Yea it's pretty sad because I've been to some Sprint corporate brick and mortar stores recently since the price drop and even though they have the essential phone on display they all still had the price @ $699!!

I told the employees that the price has been permanently dropped to $499 and they just look at me with the deer in the headlights look and shrug their shoulders? One store said they hadn't sold not 1 essential phone since they got it in:(

I hope Andy Rubin does something different with marketing with the next Essential phone to avoid what happened with this botched launch<_<

My one worry here is that they won't sell enough phones, and the PH-1 will be a one-hit wonder. With the insane Flex Lease promos that started today that problem shouldn't exist in theory, but we'll see, I guess.

Also, I may have to take back what I said about RF perf. Either the phone doesn't play nice with ex-CLWR B41 or there's something else rotten afoot, based on the poor performance I had last night in an area that's had B41 for quite awhile. Felt like the phone either couldn't muster the transmit power to keep a reliable connection or it was being way too aggressive about jumping on B41 over B25. Not sure which. Either way, I'll continue reporting RF findings. Guess my v2 Moto X is gonna get some use again :)

Hopefully it's not a one hit wonder, but if it does I can see why with how badly things got started off to unfortunately. Hopefully the company has enough financial reserves and/or investors to give it another try next year and revamp their business model?? Only time will tell though.....

That sux on the RF end:td: hopefully things turn around RF wise! I don't necessarily have issues with my V20 RF but definitely don't want the Essential phone to be worse RF wise!!

Still this phone is a kickass deal with the coupon code for $299!! Almost all is forgiven at that price point.

• Like 1

Hopefully it's not a one hit wonder, but if it does I can see why with how badly things got started off to unfortunately. Hopefully the company has enough financial reserves and/or investors to give it another try next year and revamp their business model?? Only time will tell though.....
That sux on the RF enddefault_td.gif hopefully things turn around RF wise! I don't necessarily have issues with my V20 RF but definitely don't want the Essential phone to be worse RF wise!!
Still this phone is a kickass deal with the coupon code for $299!! Almost all is forgiven at that price point.
Did you order and receive ur phone?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, imex99 said:

Did you order and receive ur phone?

Not yet was waiting for payday, but should be ordering this week though!

^^^^^^The above quote with Best Buy? Can you explain what that deal means? They paid you with credit of $9.59 a month?

Anyhow congrats on a smokin deal:)

^^^^^^The above quote with Best Buy? Can you explain what that deal means? They paid you with credit of $9.59 a month?
Anyhow congrats on a smokin deal[emoji4]
Yeah how can we get in on this deal!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

U can order from Sprint with Sprint or Best buy and hell of a deal going on......go to a store ASAP!

I'm getting a month they credit due to my legacy 1500 plan, somim getting a monthly credit of $9 to get the essential phone.

Sprint has a deal going on, started yesterday.  $25 down, $5 a month for 18 months and then the buyout is only $30.  I got in on this yesterday and just need to wait for the phone to come in.  Once thats set up i am simply going to pay the phone lease off immediately which will end up being $145 plus tax and then i own the phone.  Pretty crazy.

• Like 3

U can order from Sprint with Sprint or Best buy and hell of a deal going on......go to a store ASAP!

I'm getting a month they credit due to my legacy 1500 plan, somim getting a monthly credit of $9 to get the essential phone.

Was the credit automatic or did you ask for it? I have 1500 legacy plan too.

Was the credit automatic or did you ask for it? I have 1500 legacy plan too.

Automatic with Best buy...didn't think it would apply!

I took a screen shot and if Sprint doesn't apply it, call gong to executive services for credit.

34 minutes ago, swintec said:

Sprint has a deal going on, started yesterday.  $25 down, $5 a month for 18 months and then the buyout is only $30.  I got in on this yesterday and just need to wait for the phone to come in.  Once thats set up i am simply going to pay the phone lease off immediately which will end up being $145 plus tax and then i own the phone.  Pretty crazy.

WTH!!! Lol......are they basically giving this phone away!! with a total buyout of $145 :o

So you can pay off the phone lease immediately without penalty?!

So far a great phone.  Now i just need to figure out how to transfer everything to it.

Also, not sure how long this will go on for, but at BestBuy, if you get the unlocked phone and bundle it with the 360 camera it is $499.

57 minutes ago, MileHI38 said:

WTH!!! Lol......are they basically giving this phone away!! with a total buyout of $145 :o

So you can pay off the phone lease immediately without penalty?!

Correct.  Just have to pay the remaining lease payments plus $30 so about $145 out the door.

• Like 1

Continuing the RF discussion, looks like the phone's site selection algorithm needs to be tuned or something. Just caught it pulling a faint (-120, low single digit SNR) 8T8R signal when there's a perfectly good, albeit less fancy, B41 signal much closer. Which would explain sub-megabit upload speeds, despite gloriously fast downloads.

The phone's field test mode is an overlay similar to the Aquos Crystal and unlike the HTC/Samsung/Nexus devices I've had. Will edit this post with more info once I get SignalCheck onto my Moto X and my mom's A9; Pixel will only connect to eHRPD now that it's inactive so can't do a proper comparison there.

UPDATE: Looks like the PH-1 is 3db weaker than the X, but I have enough cell sites around that it's hard to get the phones to connect to the same one. They also appear to show the last digit of the GCI differently, so that's fun.

UPDATE 2: The phone may have a "death grip" issue. Holding the phone gingerly, rather than the usual right-hand-with-thumb-near-volume-and-power position, gave me significantly better UL/DL speeds on 2500. 1900 wasn't affected nearly as much, though I'm close enough to the tower to have a 15+ dB SNR any way you slice it. When obeying the "hold it carefully" rule I hit 125M down, 4M up on B41, which while not the ~330M I've seen folks topping out at isn't half bad.

Edited by iansltx

If the comparison is to the Sprint/Republic Wireless variant 2014 Moto X, that may not be a fair fight for the Essential.  The 2014 Moto X is the best band 41 real world performer I have encountered.  I fired up my 2014 Moto X for the first time in a long time when my Moto X4 arrived and seemed to have great RF.  Indeed, the Moto X4 also is stellar on band 41, the Pixel 2 XL is very good but a shade below, while the 2014 Moto X tops them both in real world drive testing.  I was so thoroughly reminded of the 2014 Moto X top notch performance that I went further and bought a white/bamboo AT&T variant, $120 new old stock on Amazon.

AJ

• Like 1

Anyhow congrats on a smokin deal[emoji4]
DM sent....

Just ordered the white Essential phone from Sprint today (they had none in stock, had to order from the warehouse) for $145 total! 

Thanks Swintec for letting us know about this deal! I asked how long it was going on for and they said it didn't have an end date in the computer system so??..........Maybe Essential just said to clear out inventory and get the phone in peoples hands for exposure at this point since they're definitely losing $$ on this phone.

• Like 1

Just got my phone today guys......curious is the latest build update NMI81C? ............. that's what mine is at and at Sept 5th security patch?

I thought that latest update enabled scrolling with the fingerprint sensor that I've seen on some YT videos:( or has that particular update not hit the Essential phones that are bought from Sprint yet??

Thx

Edited by MileHI38