SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

On 10/23/2021 at 8:36 AM, mikejeep said:

I experienced that myself a couple days ago, working on a resolution! I may move the uploading pop-up to an Android notification.. we'll see. For now, you should be able to get around it by clearing SCP from your recent apps and then reopening it.

Add me to that list. It just happened for me as well (first time ever). I can confirm your workaround (clearing it from recent apps) works.

27 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Add me to that list. It just happened for me as well (first time ever). I can confirm your workaround (clearing it from recent apps) works.

I forgot about this - I’ll trim down the message from the web server right now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

I forgot about this - I’ll trim down the message from the web server right now. 

I'm not sure it is the message from the web server because I have received longer messages before without issue. It's just the close button isn't there. 

37 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I'm not sure it is the message from the web server because I have received longer messages before without issue. It's just the close button isn't there. 

Mike and I talked about this - the close button is hidden because the content in the pop up window overflows off the bottom of the screen. 

A shorter message isn’t a permanent fix, but it will allow more clusters’ messages to be displayed before the issue crops up.

I think Mike is working on changing the way the pop up window is displayed. That will permanently fix the issue. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Mike and I talked about this - the close button is hidden because the content in the pop up window overflows off the bottom of the screen. 

A shorter message isn’t a permanent fix, but it will allow more clusters’ messages to be displayed before the issue crops up.

I think Mike is working on changing the way the pop up window is displayed. That will permanently fix the issue. 

This.. I'm currently working on changing the upload progress window to a pulldown notification instead. It'll stay out of the way but be visible if you want to see progress. And any errors/responses will be in your notification shade until you choose to clear it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the Android 12 update on my S21. The T-Mobile 5G UC icon lit up a while after I turned off WiFi, but SC doesn't identify the 5G band. Is that because Android isn't giving you want you need still? Edit: now SC not showing any NR, so I'm wondering if the icon should even be on right now. 🤔Screenshot_20211122-205543_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

11 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Just got the Android 12 update on my S21. The T-Mobile 5G UC icon lit up a while after I turned off WiFi, but SC doesn't identify the 5G band. Is that because Android isn't giving you want you need still? Edit: now SC not showing any NR, so I'm wondering if the icon should even be on right now. 🤔

Others have explained it in better detail in this thread and various others, but manufacturers/providers have basically decided to display the 5G icon when you are connected to a 5G-capable site, regardless if you have an active 5G connection or not. To me, it is very misleading. You shouldn't need an app like SignalCheck to see the truth.

As far as seeing the 5G band, yes it is because the device/OS is not reporting it. When on non-standalone 5G, it's rare to see much more information than what you had in your screenshot. If you had a standalone connection (no LTE anchor), you would see full information with band and site ID. Since updating my Pixel 5 to Android 12, it is frequently reporting band info on NSA -- but as a bogus neighbor cell. I'm working on recognizing that and getting it working for the next app update.

• Like 1

5G NR is too generic on the status bar. Why not n600 or n71 or n2500 or n41? This not only relevant to the expensive phones but also the giveaway 5g phones and furthers the education process.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:38 AM, dkyeager said:

5G NR is too generic on the status bar. Why not n600 or n71 or n2500 or n41? This not only relevant to the expensive phones but also the giveaway 5g phones and furthers the education process.

I just have not had time to create all of the necessary icons and implement it yet. It's on the list!

• Like 2

Mike,

I sent you diagnostics today from my Moto One 5G Ace, which is on Tello service so I could do 5G-NR with it.  It suddenly started picking up 5G stand-alone, but it appears the API is not providing any detailed information.

Since sending it this morning, I've concluded the problem is likely that this device is still stuck on Android 10, and that Android 11 is needed for full information.  If so, I'm at Motorola's mercy, waiting for them to release an update.  Does that sound right to you?

- Trip

On 12/3/2021 at 6:20 PM, Trip said:

I sent you diagnostics today from my Moto One 5G Ace, which is on Tello service so I could do 5G-NR with it.  It suddenly started picking up 5G stand-alone, but it appears the API is not providing any detailed information.

Since sending it this morning, I've concluded the problem is likely that this device is still stuck on Android 10, and that Android 11 is needed for full information.  If so, I'm at Motorola's mercy, waiting for them to release an update.  Does that sound right to you?

Most of the native API methods were added in Android 10, but not every manufacturer takes advantage of them immediately. Your report showed there was no cell info at all being reported by the standard methods at the time of your report. You should've seen NR signal strength because the app appeared to be catching that through a different method.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Most of the native API methods were added in Android 10, but not every manufacturer takes advantage of them immediately. Your report showed there was no cell info at all being reported by the standard methods at the time of your report. You should've seen NR signal strength because the app appeared to be catching that through a different method.

Yep, got signal strength, but nothing useful to ID the cell.

- Trip

• 2 weeks later...

FYI -- I am aware that some users (including me) are unable to upload map data due to new Android security rules that were either implemented in the December Android update or some other OTA update. It also impacts the ability to import/export/backup logs. I am working on a fix..

• Like 5

A new release for the Beta Crew is rolling out now! Fixes for map uploads, 5G info improvements, and more. Android 5.0 is now the oldest version supported. Full change log is available in the app or on the website.

Significant changes had to be made to the file system routines; CSV exports, database backups, and failed uploads are now saved in /Android/data/com.blueline.signalcheck due to Android security requirements. Please note -- this folder is deleted if the app is uninstalled, so be sure to copy important files elsewhere! If you have the previously-used /SignalCheck folder on your device, that will remain intact if you uninstall, but no new files will automatically be added there. I am working on an option to let the user choose where to save items, but for now that new folder must be used.

Thanks!

• Like 5

Another update to the update already rolling out! Log import/export/backup was not working properly due to a permissions reconfiguration. You will likely need to re-approve storage permission the first time you attempt to import/export/backup again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As an FYI for anyone who has not downloaded the latest betas yet, I'm currently experiencing an issue where I am unable to import log database files on my LG G8X (Android 9).  I assume the import function works fine, but I simply cannot locate any files from the SCP file picker.  I've separately notified Mike via PM, but wanted to make sure others knew before potentially getting stuck. 

- Trip

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Trip said:

As an FYI for anyone who has not downloaded the latest betas yet, I'm currently experiencing an issue where I am unable to import log database files on my LG G8X (Android 9).  I assume the import function works fine, but I simply cannot locate any files from the SCP file picker.  I've separately notified Mike via PM, but wanted to make sure others knew before potentially getting stuck.

Sorry about this; I'm unable to replicate this issue, but it's certainly possible given the current state of things. I'm halfway through overhauling all of the file routines; when I'm done, my intent is to display the native Android file picker instead of the custom one in SCP. New Android security rules really limit what third-party apps have access to without explicit user input.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Sorry about this; I'm unable to replicate this issue, but it's certainly possible given the current state of things. I'm halfway through overhauling all of the file routines; when I'm done, my intent is to display the native Android file picker instead of the custom one in SCP. New Android security rules really limit what third-party apps have access to without explicit user input.

I have a Samsung device (Android 11, November security update) and think I can replicate the issue. I'm not sure why but for some reason, I can't browse the ..\Android\data\folder from my phone; it just shows up as blank. This is true whether using the built in file browser or using SCP. The weird part: if I plug my phone into my computer then I can see all of the subfolders and files in ..\Android\data\

As such, my work around is to manually move the files to a location which I CAN see.

1 hour ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I have a Samsung device (Android 11, November security update) and think I can replicate the issue. I'm not sure why but for some reason, I can't browse the ..\Android\data\folder from my phone; it just shows up as blank. This is true whether using the built in file browser or using SCP. The weird part: if I plug my phone into my computer then I can see all of the subfolders and files in ..\Android\data\

As such, my work around is to manually move the files to a location which I CAN see.

I believe that /Android/data is only supposed to allow access to the app you are using; ie if you are using SCP, you should only be able to access the com.blueline.signalcheck folder. But while I can see most folders on my phone from within SCP, I can't see that one. Very odd. I am working on it!

• Like 1

Another SCP update for the Beta Crew is rolling out now! All of the file operations have been overhauled, including import/export/backup routines as well as many things behind the scenes. Each user needs to click on Logs > Select Log Folder to configure their default folder for exported log files to reside in. It can be changed at any time, and this folder will not be deleted if you uninstall the app. Most existing users will probably be content with selecting the /SignalCheck folder  from previous versions, but it's completely up to the user now.

A new option has also been added for non-beta users to export data files to be manually processed on the mapping site. This is a temporary band-aid until beta testing of the mapping feature is complete (and I get password authentication working from within the app). Beta users do not have this option, as the much simpler Upload option replaces it.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

A new option has also been added for non-beta users to export data files to be manually processed on the mapping site. This is a temporary band-aid until beta testing of the mapping feature is complete (and I get password authentication working from within the app). Beta users do not have this option, as the much simpler Upload option replaces it.

Non-beta users can feel free to send me their exported web data for import :).

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Another SCP update for the Beta Crew is rolling out now! All of the file operations have been overhauled, including import/export/backup routines as well as many things behind the scenes. Each user needs to click on Logs > Select Log Folder to configure their default folder for exported log files to reside in. It can be changed at any time, and this folder will not be deleted if you uninstall the app. Most existing users will probably be content with selecting the /SignalCheck folder  from previous versions, but it's completely up to the user now.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Just updated, then did the configuration, exported, and reimported on my G8X.  All seemed to work.  Thanks so much!  :)  I'll let you know if I encounter any problems.

By the way, I sent a Christmas gift your way on PayPal yesterday; hopefully you received it.  Thanks again for all you do!

- Trip

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Beer money sent for Christmas as well. Thanks Mike.

• Love 1

Hi Mike, a question about gNBs to which you don't connect? I noticed if I band lock my phone to n5 or n66, I can see AT&T n5-SA and n66-SA bands. I can't connect to them but I can see them in CellMapper and in SignalCheck. That being said the IDs are different, the CellMapper gNB appears to match the eNBs in the area a bit closer than SignalCheck does (the first digit is the same).

Additionally, the Signal check results don't upload while the CellMapper results do.

• Like 1