SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

11 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Excellent, thank you very much!

Anyone else have any feedback, especially related to the location issue -- either positive or negative?

i haven't been anywhere since the update ūüėē¬†but next time i'm out and about i plan on watching it to see how it performs! should be at least by this weekend :)

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beta crew.. assemble!   A new update is finally published.. if you're special   -Mike

Already started working on something along those lines, great minds think alike! I have a busy few days coming up but I should have another update ready by mid-week.   I appreciate everyone's feedba

Just a quick update for the Beta Crew, yes I am still hacking away at the new Alerts.. it is a lot of work trying to get everything working well on Oreo+ devices while not breaking pre-Oreo devices. I

Posted Images

I unfortunately had the same issue crop up on my commute this morning. I sent a diagnostic while the location was frozen. 

• Thanks 1

just sent you some diagnostics reports myself, around 10:13 to 10:21 CST. it wasn't fully "stuck" but it was taking a long time to update. last night i was out and was watching it update and it seemed to be updating around every 5 seconds to upwards of 20 to 30 seconds. but today when i sent the diagnostics reports it was not updating for 2 to 3 minutes or more. so i'm not sure why it updated more frequently last night but didn't today, hopefully you see something in the reports :)

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, I experienced the stuck location myself for the first time. My debugging was helpful, but I can't figure out why it isn't restarting itself automatically nor via the force method I have in place. I'll keep digging.

• Like 1

Not sure if it is helpful or not but when I entered Developer Options on my phone for something else, I noticed there is a setting called "Force Full GNSS measurements - Track all GNSS constellations and frequencies with no duty cycling". This lead me to this article:

https://barbeau.medium.com/gnss-interrupted-the-hidden-android-setting-you-need-to-know-d812d28a3821

I wonder if this has something to do with the random gaps/pauses that many are experiencing. What I noticed is that when I triggered this setting, all of a sudden a few Chinese and Japanese GNSS satellites became visible.

Thanks, that's probably not related though -- the app uses a common Google API that uses a mix of GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile signals to determine location. If another app (GMaps, Waze, etc) is requesting more precise location information, it uses that data.

Even if no GPS signal was available, some data, even with less accuracy, would be reported. Something is causing the entire process to stop working randomly, because other apps are continuing to receive updated location information.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, bmoses said:

just sent you some diagnostics reports myself, around 10:13 to 10:21 CST. it wasn't fully "stuck" but it was taking a long time to update. last night i was out and was watching it update and it seemed to be updating around every 5 seconds to upwards of 20 to 30 seconds. but today when i sent the diagnostics reports it was not updating for 2 to 3 minutes or more. so i'm not sure why it updated more frequently last night but didn't today, hopefully you see something in the reports :)

Was your device moving a significant distance (driving, walking, etc) or were you mostly stationary or indoors? Android automatically does not send location updates if built-in sensors detect that the device hasn't really moved.

Just now, mikejeep said:

Was your device moving a significant distance (driving, walking, etc) or were you mostly stationary or indoors? Android automatically does not send location updates if built-in sensors detect that the device hasn't really moved.

i was driving with an average speed of about 40 mph during the entire trip. my phone was in a phone holder attached to the windshield and was on with signal check up the entire time. round trip i probably drove about 3 or 4 miles.

• Thanks 1
Just now, bmoses said:

i was driving with an average speed of about 40 mph during the entire trip. my phone was in a phone holder attached to the windshield and was on with signal check up the entire time. round trip i probably drove about 3 or 4 miles.

That's interesting, I would expect more frequent updates then. I did see your reports and saw the delayed updates. Delayed updates are likely separate from this bug where it gets completely stuck, but I will keep this in mind too.

The location API takes the two relevant settings under preferences (preferred accuracy and update timing) and is supposed to do the rest on its own. I have the least-likely-to-be-killed-off methods in place, but I'm wondering if the OS is getting too aggressive in conserving power anyway.

8 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

That's interesting, I would expect more frequent updates then. I did see your reports and saw the delayed updates. Delayed updates are likely separate from this bug where it gets completely stuck, but I will keep this in mind too.

The location API takes the two relevant settings under preferences (preferred accuracy and update timing) and is supposed to do the rest on its own. I have the least-likely-to-be-killed-off methods in place, but I'm wondering if the OS is getting too aggressive in conserving power anyway.

i just double checked and those settings are set to balanced for accuracy and 1000 for timing, just as a FYI

4 minutes ago, bmoses said:

i just double checked and those settings are set to balanced for accuracy and 1000 for timing, just as a FYI

Yes, that is included when you send diagnostics thanks.. those are reasonable settings that should not cause problems. I rarely have issues with Balanced/3000 -- if everything is working properly, it's a solid choice that keeps your logs accurate without hammering your battery unnecessarily. But, something is not working properly.....

On the latest build, I got an error when uploading web data and sent diagnostics along with this screenshot below:

Id4irPQ_nrUrfvJBgMlNG36avjy_nLN6iG4w4Ear

This was after my phone primarily was forced onto B41 for a short trip through areas both where T-Mobile has B41 towers and there are still some Sprint ones that my phone attempts to connect to but doesn't since they're only broadcasting 310120 and not 312250.

EDIT: Can confirm that my second upload later in the day went without a hitch.

I noticed something interesting today - both of my Androids were displaying and updating the location when the location service was off...maybe this is related to the issue we've been seeing?