SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

1 hour ago, Trip said:

One other question I have is about the logging functionality.  I've been having some issues with specifically my Verizon phone not logging things at times even though logging is enabled and both GCI and TAC are present.  I added back one of my old G4 Plays to try to chase down the B26 312250/B41 T-Mobile while keeping my primary T-Mobile phone available for B71, but have had a similar issue there.

I cannot be 100% sure, it seems that both of these phones will sometimes show correct and updating data but have "Connecting..." at the top right rather than "Connected to LTE."  (The notification icon will also show "--" rather than the dBm/band numbers.)  If I reset the mobile connection, it'll come back to "Connected to LTE" and then appear to log.  Does "Connecting..." when the phone is actually on LTE keep the phone from logging?

When it's showing "Connecting..." are any of the signal metrics on the screen changing? I'll have to double-check the code to confirm, but I don't think it will log anything because that displays when the device doesn't "know" what the connection type is.. that's why it doesn't say LTE. Even if the metrics appear to indicate LTE, the device isn't reporting that -- so SCP patiently waits for it to get sorted out. The logger won't know how to save any information it might be getting during that state. That label usually does not persist improperly, although sometimes when your connection is changing it may display briefly. Are these phones on active lines?

[[Template forums/front/topics/activity is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

When it's showing "Connecting..." are any of the signal metrics on the screen changing? I'll have to double-check the code to confirm, but I don't think it will log anything because that displays when the device doesn't "know" what the connection type is.. that's why it doesn't say LTE. Even if the metrics appear to indicate LTE, the device isn't reporting that -- so SCP patiently waits for it to get sorted out. The logger won't know how to save any information it might be getting during that state. That label usually does not persist improperly, although sometimes when your connection is changing it may display briefly. Are these phones on active lines?

No.  I have, at present, three phones on active lines (AT&T via FreedomPop, US Cellular prepaid, and my main Sprint line) and three phones using SIMs solely to show LTE signal (Verizon E5 Play, T-Mobile E5 Play, and T-Mobile G4 Play).  The two with this issue are in the latter group (which the third, the T-Mobile E5 Play, doesn't seem to have this issue that I've noticed), but they generally say "Connected to LTE" except sometimes when they don't.

But yes, the statistics are updating.  I tend to eyeball my phones in case, for example, the GPS stops updating, which has been less of a problem lately.  If I notice something particularly interesting, I've taken to tapping it and saving an empty name, which will at least give me a row with the PLMN and GCI, and then a bunch of blank data in other places, like so:  https://imgur.com/a/lXt3DGQ

Before I locked out GSM and HSPA with Network Signal Guru so that my AT&T and T-Mobile phones only ever connect to LTE, I used to get "Connecting..." rows in my GSM log that were sometimes questionable.  (I could clearly tell some of them were actually LTE data.)

- Trip

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Trip said:

No.  I have, at present, three phones on active lines (AT&T via FreedomPop, US Cellular prepaid, and my main Sprint line) and three phones using SIMs solely to show LTE signal (Verizon E5 Play, T-Mobile E5 Play, and T-Mobile G4 Play).  The two with this issue are in the latter group (which the third, the T-Mobile E5 Play, doesn't seem to have this issue that I've noticed), but they generally say "Connected to LTE" except sometimes when they don't.

Gotcha. I see the "Connecting.." sometimes on my inactive test devices, but not consistently. It's more when I'm on fringe signal, whether or not the device has an active line or not. I was just trying to come up with a direction to think about how to solve the underlying issue.

2 hours ago, Trip said:

Before I locked out GSM and HSPA with Network Signal Guru so that my AT&T and T-Mobile phones only ever connect to LTE, I used to get "Connecting..." rows in my GSM log that were sometimes questionable.  (I could clearly tell some of them were actually LTE data.)

Some devices report LTE connection values via GSM methods (and nothing via the LTE ones), especially older phones.. so it kind of makes sense that you might see those type of log entries occasionally. It took awhile for me to perfect it, but by now SCP does enough wizardry in the background to make it impossible to notice any difference as to where the source data is coming from.

Maybe I could add an option to force-log "Connecting" entries as LTE automatically.. perhaps set a flag that indicates it's questionable. I'll play with some ideas when I get close to finishing 5G logging.

• Like 1

New SCP beta was launched yesterday and went live on Google Play overnight! This is a fairly minor update from the last beta, some small bugfixes and Sprint 312250 should now follow the same pattern matching and offset rules for site notes as other Sprint PLMN IDs.

This release (version 4.63) was also rolled out to the public SignalCheck Pro and Lite channels overnight.

The primary reason for this release was to beat last night's deadline imposed by Google Play requiring app updates to target Android 10 or newer. Complying with this is going to be difficult, as when I tried to move the target version last spring, many users experienced problems with the app. Resolving these issues will have to be my priority for now. Anyone with a critical need for SCP should probably pay close attention to this thread and/or release notes to make sure they don't lose functionality they can't live without.

As always.. thank you for all of your help!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Maybe I could add an option to force-log "Connecting" entries as LTE automatically.. perhaps set a flag that indicates it's questionable. I'll play with some ideas when I get close to finishing 5G logging.

I rather like this idea, to be honest. 

- Trip

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Trip said:

I think I'm just going to add a "Trip" menu to the app, where I put all of your special tweaks in one spot.. 😜

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

I think I'm just going to add a "Trip" menu to the app, where I put all of your special tweaks in one spot.. 😜

😆

- Trip

• Haha 1

I believe this is a known issue to do with Samsung and not SignalCheck, though correct me if I'm wrong; I did lose my NR status completely when updating to the OneUI 3.0 Beta. I do still see the 'CONNECTED' status for 5G State in CellMapper but I'm guessing they broke some of the APIs that let you check more detailed info like signal strength within SignalCheck?

2 hours ago, littlejth said:

I believe this is a known issue to do with Samsung and not SignalCheck, though correct me if I'm wrong; I did lose my NR status completely when updating to the OneUI 3.0 Beta. I do still see the 'CONNECTED' status for 5G State in CellMapper but I'm guessing they broke some of the APIs that let you check more detailed info like signal strength within SignalCheck?

A recent Samsung update did break 5G-NR reporting on many of their devices, it's no longer reporting any signal strength (RSRP). I've tried a few workarounds but it's not going to be resolved until Samsung fixes it on their end. Please alert them to the issue through whatever beta feedback channels they offer!

8 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

A recent Samsung update did break 5G-NR reporting on many of their devices, it's no longer reporting any signal strength (RSRP). I've tried a few workarounds but it's not going to be resolved until Samsung fixes it on their end. Please alert them to the issue through whatever beta feedback channels they offer!

Is there a specific method that needs to have its return fixed so I can be more specific when reporting? Also, might it be possible to still indicate an NR connection without signal strength as a workaround or would that be something that you wouldn't wanna do unless this makes it into the final build? 

Thanks for all you do!

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20201117-114655_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

With the latest OneUI 3.0 beta update today on my Note 20 Ultra, 5G reporting works again!

(also I realize now this is the beta topic and I probably should be using the other when the issue isn't related to a beta, but since I already posted here I figured I'd give closure to the issue!)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, littlejth said:

With the latest OneUI 3.0 beta update today on my Note 20 Ultra, 5G reporting works again!

(also I realize now this is the beta topic and I probably should be using the other when the issue isn't related to a beta, but since I already posted here I figured I'd give closure to the issue!)

Excellent!! Don't worry about posting in here.. you are on a beta OS, so it's on-topic.. ;)

Hey @mikejeep does this send anything to you when I hit send feedback? I keep having this pop up on my AT&T S20 Ultra but its been pretty much stable on my T-Mobile S20+, not sure what the difference would be. I've been using it more on the S20+ lately as I'm hunting down T-Mobile B(N)41. I'm thinking about doing a clean uninstall and reinstall on my AT&T phone and see if that helps.

KKgv4b2l.jpg