lilotimz

Official Magic Box discussion thread

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

So I received my MB 3. Great signal everywhere in my 2185sq ft condo. Did a speedtest, before installing it by the front door window. Got 22-25MBps. Turned it on, let it sign to Sprint, RSRP around 50, did another speedtest, got around 5Mbps and increased ping and jitter. I repeated the speedtest several times and it got worse. Well, I will repeat the speedtest later on tonight to see if it improved. But if it does not within couple of days, off goes back to Sprint.

You need to give it a few days to optimize.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, though said:

You get 22-25 and need a MB?

Right at the window yes. The signal dies quickly and so does the speed...By the time I am at the other end of the condo I am lucky to get 1-2. There are also couple of dead spots, one right by my side of my bed.

Edited by bigsnake49

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Right at the window yes. The signal dies quickly and so does the speed...By the time I am at the other end of the condo I am lucky to get 1-2. There are also couple of dead spots, one right by my side of my bed.

Ah gotcha!

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

As @nexgencpu mentioned, give the box at least a few days, perhaps up to a week, to optimize on the Network.

8 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Well, I will repeat the speedtest later on tonight to see if it improved. But if it does not within couple of days, off goes back to Sprint.

Don't forget to check the SNR or use the RSRQ.  You might also be better away from the window.  Also check to see if it using B41 -- it might be on B25 backhaul.  You could also be above the best signal, depending on your floor in the condo.

5 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Don't forget to check the SNR or use the RSRQ.  You might also be better away from the window.  Also check to see if it using B41 -- it might be on B25 backhaul.  You could also be above the best signal, depending on your floor in the condo.

The SNR of the incoming signal or the outgoing signal from the box? The outgoing SNR is phenomenal, in the high 20s to mid 30s.

Jason Schnellbacher (Lead Magic Box Sales, Marketing, Distribution, Deployment and Support from Sprint HQ) is taking questions about the Magic Box over on r/Sprint! 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

The SNR of the incoming signal or the outgoing signal from the box? The outgoing SNR is phenomenal, in the high 20s to mid 30s.

The best incoming SNR or RSRQ is where you want to place the MagicBox. Right now you may have a lot of retries.

Our Gen 3 MB is still only getting about 1/2 speed downloads.  Previously, our Gen2 MB was getting 60mbps downloads, and our Gen3 hasnt gone above 30mbps.  

Just got off the phone with MB support and the guy I talked to was a waste.  He was hanging on the fact that I have used over 40gb this period.  I was trying to explain to him that wouldn't matter because it is only on a congested tower and there was no way in hades that our tower was congested.  I gave up and just said forget about it, I'll just live with it for now, but he said he would call back in a few days (new billing cycle) to see if it has improved.

Buuuuuuuut the real positive here is that something has happened in the past 2 hours while playing phone tag with this guy... while connected to our Gen 3 MB, I am now getting VoLTE.  :o . We are NOT a soft-launch market.  Wife is at work and connected to the serving macro tower, and she does not have VoLTE.    Weirrrrrrrrd. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, shaferz said:

Buuuuuuuut the real positive here is that something has happened in the past 2 hours while playing phone tag with this guy... while connected to our Gen 3 MB, I am now getting VoLTE.  :o . We are NOT a soft-launch market.  Wife is at work and connected to the serving macro tower, and she does not have VoLTE.    Weirrrrrrrrd. 

There have been scattered reports of this on reddit today too. Not sure what’s going on. 

1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

The best incoming SNR or RSRQ is where you want to place the MagicBox. Right now you may have a lot of retries.

SNR around 10, RSRP around 100. Definitely fed by 2500Mhz backbone.

Well, well I just ran another speedtest at the most distant point but the most clear of obstructions (walls). It registered 33.4 Mbps. Now we're talking!

• Like 1