Jump to content
lilotimz

Official Magic Box discussion thread

Recommended Posts

So an update to my magic box experiment I order one using my sister address and finally picked it up(gen 2). My address does not have sprint coverage at all if you look at the sprint map (06255). I Put it on my back enclosed porch and plugged it in and am now enjoying LTE. I think in a few weeks I'll order the gen 3. The box is showing RSRP: 116 dBm

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kevster1321 said:

So an update to my magic box experiment I order one using my sister address and finally picked it up(gen 2). My address does not have sprint coverage at all if you look at the sprint map (06255). I Put it on my back enclosed porch and plugged it in and am now enjoying LTE.

It used to drive some of us crazy in Ohio that Sprint did not know which sites had LTE or Band 41 in terms of the coverage maps.  We laboriously gave them site IDs and LAT LONGs with GCIs thrown in for good measure in spreadsheet and map formats.  For LTE they did add them in a few months.  For Band 41 they ended up removing the category that covered it from the coverage maps.

I think the key item is if you have small cells in your area, then Magic Boxes will likely work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dkyeager said:

It used to drive some of us crazy in Ohio that Sprint did not know which sites had LTE or Band 41 in terms of the coverage maps.  We laboriously gave them site IDs and LAT LONGs with GCIs thrown in for good measure in spreadsheet and map formats.  For LTE they did add them in a few months.  For Band 41 they ended up removing the category that covered it from the coverage maps.

I think the key item is if you have small cells in your area, then Magic Boxes will likely work.

I'm picking up band 41 from MA 5 miles away. The only thing I can get on my phone from out in my yard is band 26 so I'm happy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Gen2 MB... stats:

RSRP: -105 dBm

CINR: 17.0dB

 

 

Our Gen3 MB... stats:

RSRP:  -98 dBm

CINR: 19.9dB

 

:D

 

Box is in the exact same position.  Pretty impressive difference.  We are still non a non-3xCA macro site, but we are ready to rock for whenever we finally get upgraded. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With that being said though, I'm going to let it optimize for a while before drawing any final conclusions.  Our Gen 2 MB generated 60+mbps downloads, and thus far with the Gen 3, it seems to be 'stuck' at nothing higher than 30mpbs downloads.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was sent a gen 2 on "accident" and they sent me a return kit for it. I opened the gen 2 box to snag a picture of the id codes and such from the MB for a little safety when I return it. In the box was a free 4000mah backup battery. Are these included with the gen 3s as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, xdfgf said:

So I was sent a gen 2 on "accident" and they sent me a return kit for it. I opened the gen 2 box to snag a picture of the id codes and such from the MB for a little safety when I return it. In the box was a free 4000mah backup battery. Are these included with the gen 3s as well?

No. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the recent iOS 12.1.1 my Sprint iPhone XS-Max now supports LTE Data+Voice but it uses the Macro Cell and not my MagicBox. I suspect it's because my MagicBox needs the firmware update but how do I get it updated?

On the iPhone I turned off WiFi Calling and turned on LTE Data+Voice.
For testing I also turned off WiFi totally on the iPhone.
Settings General->About->IMS Status = Voice & SMS

I have a decent WiFi signal but still feel WiFi calls are choppy and people on the other end say so also so I'd hope VoLTE would improve things.

I'm in Chicago with I believe supports Sprint VoLTE.

Sw Ver: 15.15.50.440a  Does this need to be updated? How?

Any insight appreciated.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, schmidtj said:

I suspect it's because my MagicBox needs the firmware update but how do I get it updated?

The update for MBs that supports VoLTE has not rolled out yet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Magic Box restarted itself yesterday evening for some reason. I can't wait for that update that enables ethernet/WiFi backhaul. Hopefully we get it sooner rather than later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lolol ethernet connectivity will probably come with the next hardware version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Lolol ethernet connectivity will probably come with the next hardware version.

MB3 already has the hardware and software that basically make it most of the way there. Hopefully the software makes it eventually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

MB3 already has the hardware and software that basically make it most of the way there. Hopefully the software makes it eventually.

Indeed, I hope so too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×