What if Dish had bought Sprint

Arysyn

A question I thought of based from a few posts made in the Long time user thread.

What are the opinions of members here pertaining to the attempt Dish had made to buy Sprint, if they got Sprint instead of Softbank? What do you think would be different? Any better, worse, etc.?

I think they had a shill strategy designed to boost the cost of Sprint to Softbank and thus raise the value of their spectrum holdings.  This likely cost Sprint many billions of additional dollars for Capex.  I think they would have backed out.

• Like 1

DISH Network and SoftBank aren't even in the same league. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine things would be much worse.

Less technical expertise in wireless, less access to funding and a core business that's losing subscribers to streaming: That's the reality of DISH.

• Like 1

DISH Network and SoftBank aren't even in the same league. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine things would be much worse.

Less technical expertise in wireless, less access to funding and a core business that's losing subscribers to streaming: That's the reality of DISH.

Softbank has not being able to put any money into Sprint because of covenants with the Japanese banks. I was Softbank to invest a lot more money into the business as far as expanding the network and possibly bidding in the 600MHz spectrum.

Dish still has a pretty decent cash flow to subsidize wireless. 

I think we can all agree that it would be nice to have more spending from SoftBank on CapEx, but remember that they spent a chunk of change to gain control of Sprint. One can wonder what position DISH would be in if they had spent the same amount on Sprint.

Softbank has not being able to put any money into Sprint because of covenants with the Japanese banks. I was Softbank to invest a lot more money into the business as far as expanding the network and possibly bidding in the 600MHz spectrum.

Quiet honestly ..... not worried about another spectrum..... I am more worried about build out... Sprint has gobs and gobs of spectrum.... what they dont have is tower coverage to utilize it...

I am still seeing holes since I switched back... some are only going to get worse as population builds... As it does around here... How many tower could they add for the 8 BILLION, tmobile spent???

Quiet honestly ..... not worried about another spectrum..... I am more worried about build out... Sprint has gobs and gobs of spectrum.... what they dont have is tower coverage to utilize it...

I am still seeing holes since I switched back... some are only going to get worse as population builds... As it does around here... How many tower could they add for the 8 BILLION, tmobile spent???

Simple math - per google, a tower is $200-250k to build.

8 Billion divided by $250k = 32,000 ( :o  :o  :o) towers (assuming the cost to build is really $250k each) 

Does that $200-250k to build estimate assume it will be the same to put up panels on a building or an existing street pole. I don't think so. A site and or panels are not exclusive to towers if I am not mistaken.

As much support I have for Sprint densifying, I think Sprint ought to spend on deployment first, which ought to be less costly.

That would be providing half ass coverage to limited customers rather than full ass coverage to the core base.

That would be providing half ass coverage to limited customers rather than full ass coverage to the core base.

I'm not saying Sprint shouldn't densify, they should indeed do so, and the sooner is better. The problem is they have existing sites which do not have band 41 or ca, and those ought to be the priority first.

I'm not saying Sprint shouldn't densify, they should indeed do so, and the sooner is better. The problem is they have existing sites which do not have band 41 or ca, and those ought to be the priority first.

I believe the number of sites with no updates/3G only are down to less than 5% of the total sites nationwide. Almost all due to issues that are beyond Sprint's control.

I believe the number of sites with no updates/3G only are down to less than 5% of the total sites nationwide. Almost all due to issues that are beyond Sprint's control.

It would be good if the site could get an update on the number of sites with/without band41, which is what I'm referring to about "deployment", rather than 4G/3G. I've so far heard mixed numbers between 50-75% on band 41. What I'd like for Sprint to do is to get band 41 with at least 2xca on at least 90% of its current network in moderate to major markets before spending on densification.

There are various reported reasons why Sprint isn't doing either, of which I'm of the belief shared by those that also believe its due to awaiting merger spending, though I also agree with those who say CapEx spending is a problem. This is why I decided to mention here in this thread if Dish had bought Sprint, would they be spending on CapEx more than Softbank is, or possibly the idea Dish could be doing the same thing by trying to get T-Mobile involved somehow. Its a thought.

• Like 1